screeching tyres after new tyre

honda ctr

Reaction score
Have 2015 s3 from new enjoyed for 2 years now brilliant nothing bad to say about it but now.

I asked the salesman this question before i brought the car it if i get a puncher would i have to change all 4 tyres or just 1 he said just one. but i read somewhere you can only do this if the tyre tread on 1 axle is almost the same.

So i changed my nearside front only as my offside front was still ok and since that day handling is messed up and when i floor the car the traction control keeps coming on and tyres makes screeching noise.

First i thought i had wrong tyre but its not, all 4 are identical maybe theres some difference in material from manufacturing process. continental sport contact 5 brilliant tyre. or maybe its thread difference on axel.

ill will probably have to change all four tyres to find out.

Would give the service department of your local Audi a call and have a chat with a technician, I have always changed both tyres on the axel on a standard front wheel drive car, standard practice.

Do you know what the tread depths are on the old to new? Did you reset the tyre pressure monitor? Has this come up to say there is an issue?

You don't have to change all 4, in theory just the two on the same axel which should be the same.

For quattro they do recommend changing all 4 tyres at the same time but I would say as long as the tread depths are similar and the same type of tyre is replaced you should be ok. One thing to check is that the tow/alignment of the wheel wasn't changed. I had tyres replaced on a car several years ago and the garage misread my tow from -7 to +7 which caused a lot of tyre screeching. It also caused the tyre to pop after just 500 miles!

First things first, Axel - a jump in ice skating / lead singer with G&R. Axle - a rod or spindle passing through the centre of a wheel !. ;-)

Get it checked out by a garage. Potentially you've got an issue with the Haldex system, steering geometry or it could be due to the tyre change as potentially the new one will break traction prior to the others as it will have a covering of mould releasing agent on it from when it was manufactured, so to describe it in extreme it's like having one wheel on ice & the system senses this difference in wheel speeds & brings on the t/c warning. (The releasing agent will wear off fairly quickly)

TBH my Contisport 5's still screech after 29k miles on full lock due to the difference in slip angle as one is effectively being dragged around the corner.