Scratched windscreen

PKA4

Reaction score
Hi, I am really hoping someone can potentially help with this issue.

I purchased an Audi A4 B9 3 weeks ago and over the weekend got it washed / valeted. On my way out, I noticed a slight scratch / smudge on the windscreen on the driver's side at which point I tried using the wiper to get rid of it. This did not make a difference, and upon parking the car and inspecting it closer, turns out there's a scratch across the wind screen in the movement area of the left side wiper (from driver's seat).

The glass is not damaged, and I think for the most part the scratch is not in driver's vision however some of it is. Although I have not driven the car much since then, the issue is that aesthetically this is really spoiling the car. Given this is not broken glass, a windscreen replacement will not be covered under the insurance

Also, there are a couple of spots where my nail can feel the scratch but it does not dip into the scratch. So I am not entirely sure of how severe this issue is

Now, given a replacement is not covered under the insurance, i see that i have two options:

1) Get someone to polish the scratch out;
2) Get a new windscreen (only OEM).
3) Live with it (not happening so not discussed further).

1) Can someone recommend a glass company which could assist with fixing the wiper scratch? Most companies are interested in simply replacing the glass as they say this is not fixable however i think this is predominantly due to the expectation replacements are covered by insurance and all glass repair companies have evolved into glass replacement companies....

2) What are the downsides of polishing the scratch out? I have seen a glass repair company (franchise of a US company) advertising their G force tool and claim "no distortions" but i cannot see any reviews or have not heard of anyone using them before.

3) Lastly, if a repair is not possible at all, i will have to consider an OEM glass. What cost should i realistically expect to pay for OEM glass, fitting and calibration of systems etc ? Appreciate this will be a bit more expensive than "OEM equivalent" and so far I have received a quote for £1,000 plus from a "national insurance approved windscreen company". I want to understand the ball park figures so i can start negotiating on this.

4) Can someone advise what would be the cost of the glass if purchased directly from Audi? Someone, referred to me by a service center and who regularly does glass work for the center, has quote me £150 to fit the glass. He is checking the price of OEM glass however I thought perhaps I can source the glass myself and save some ££?

Damn stones these days flip up & crack screens all the time.............

I had a 'arc' scratch across the wiper blade arc, centre of the driving position. Very minor.

I enquired about having it polished out, and basically if you can catch it with your finger nail, they wont polish out. You coiuld just about catch it with your finger nail on mine. One guy said he may try it, but the cost wasn't far off a replacement screen and said it may not even come out.

Ring your dealership to get a quote, or just ring Autoglass. Surely your insurance has windscreen cover? its fairly standard these days.