Scratch + Swirl removal

robby

Reaction score
Ok i've tried everything i have and nothing has worked so i'm now either going to give up trying for a scratch and swirl free car and neglect it or i'm going to have to buy more products to deal with it.

The car is a 2014 Glacier white A3 which has several scratches in the clearcoat and swirls everywhere else (previous owner).

I've always been happy with the results on previous cars but the Audi paint/ clear is a ******

I've used a DA with the orange foam pads (same as on all previous cars), Megs 105 + 205 and swirls still there.
I then tried a Megs microfibre pad, still poor results.
Tried Menzerna heavy cut compound 400 with the orange pad and the MF pad - still not much better :sadlike:

I've tried different techniques, different speeds, different pressure, everything - what's going on??????

Has anyone else dealt with heavy scratches and swirls on their Audi and what worked for you?

I did this on mine, no where near as bad as yours by the sounds of it, I needed to spend more time refining, all the heavy compounds actually bit marks into the paint and refining will pull them all back out, to my memory an orange pad is a cutting pad? Try using megs 205 with a finishing pad, I used black if my memory serves! Can end up chasing your tail can't you

I sold my last car which was a MK7 Golf in tornado red because of scratches and swirls which i saw when i bought it but thought they'd buff out - they didn't :(
The orange pad is a cutting pad for medium - heavy swirls, this has given great results on other cars but has done nothing on the VAGS, the MF pad is supposed to be better but hasn't given the results i wanted.

There is another option but i've yet to meet anyone who's had it done and i'm not sure if it's worth it as i got a quote on the Golf at £470 - http://www.restorfx.com/

You will likely get there if you keep going with 105 and orange pad, but like you, I found it took a lot of passes and didn't finish well.

What worked wonders for me, and is my go to combination, is Megs D300 with a MF pad.

Alternative is to take it a reputable detailer in your area and get it done. Would look for well established and accredited detailers....a bad detailer will cost you a lot more than what they charge...!

The 105 on your DA isn't giving you enough cut or you are correcting the swirls but introducing others.

The 105 is a heavy polish so can sort the swirls even on Audi paint which can be really tough to correct but your pad will also make a big difference so you might need one that is a heavier cut.

Just be careful that your not polishing too much clear coat off though!

I'm not sure what DA you're using but you it could also be that it isn't powerful enough even with the pad/polish combo.

Whereabouts are you - perhaps someone local could advise by actually seeing the car?

Reactions: AlexA4Avant
Thanks for the replies
I'm using a DAS6 which i've used on at least a dozen previous cars, the orange pads are supposed to be medium - heavy cut and on previous cars this with Merentza compound has given 90% better results. I know VAG clearcoat is hard but i'd expected a bit better than i've got :(

I got quoted £500 for a detailer to do the Golf so would be the same for the A3 - a lot of money to spend on a spruce up?

The swirls tbh are noticeable to me as i've seen them under the lights in the garage and petrol forecourt so i know they're there - i guess 95% of other people wont see them - this is the problem being a car enthusiast, we notice everything

Thanks for the replies
I'm using a DAS6 which i've used on at least a dozen previous cars, the orange pads are supposed to be medium - heavy cut and on previous cars this with Merentza compound has given 90% better results. I know VAG clearcoat is hard but i'd expected a bit better than i've got :(

I got quoted £500 for a detailer to do the Golf so would be the same for the A3 - a lot of money to spend on a spruce up?

The swirls tbh are noticeable to me as i've seen them under the lights in the garage and petrol forecourt so i know they're there - i guess 95% of other people wont see them - this is the problem being a car enthusiast, we notice everything

I'm like you - notice any swirls going - even if they're not on my car!!

I think £500 is the going rate for a correction detail these days but you could always speak to your detailer guy to see if he would perhaps have a look at the car for you and see if he can help re pad/polish combo and yes, he'll most likely charge you, but play to his knowledge and be up front about paying him and he might see you right with some good advice for beer tokens (I'd take your machine with you so he can use your machine- no point him correcting with his rotary then leaving you to it!!)

I asked on the Golf as there were 2 bad areas (approx 8-10" each) that had heavy scratches, he suggested spending a day doing a course to learn different pads/ compounds/ etc which sounded good but for the £150 he was charging i wanted to be working on my car but we wouldn't have been.

i'm getting to the if it's clean it'll do stage as every time i wash the car i notice another chip, scratch, etc and it's no fun anymore :sadlike:

i had a lot to remove on my C6, i used orange pad and Scholl S3 Gold - but again, some panels needed 4/5 passes to completely refine

better to do the job slowly :)

Hi Robby,

Obviously sorry to hear about your troubles. I will take a look at the problems and try to offer some help.

Please email me - cleanpaintcorrection@gmail.com - please send clear pictures ( as clear as you can )

Glacier is not typically a hard paint ( i think you are taking the wrong approach )

I'm assuming its a solid finish not metallic ? you have to bear in mind solid audi finishes ( generally ) are very soft, subject to poor washing can really effect the paint. Generally i pat dry and never swipe to reduce inflicting scratches or swirls.

DAS 6 is obviously ok but you may struggle to get the results quickly.

Email me pictures as above and will try to help you.

Justin

which orange pad you using, i using chemical guys orange pad and megs 105 and 205 ive got a misano red s3 and the swirls were there. if you have used a DAS6 before, i really only work on a 30 x 30 space and then work my way around the car of that way. I put a few pics up of the car i corrected at the weekend. how long it lasts like that. I like the MF pads too, seem to get a nice cut on them, lucky i only had light swirls on the car so didnt need them.

I can now see why people that own astons and lambo's etc use paint protection film

Ok i've tried everything i have and nothing has worked so i'm now either going to give up trying for a scratch and swirl free car and neglect it or i'm going to have to buy more products to deal with it.

The car is a 2014 Glacier white A3 which has several scratches in the clearcoat and swirls everywhere else (previous owner).

I've always been happy with the results on previous cars but the Audi paint/ clear is a ******

I've used a DA with the orange foam pads (same as on all previous cars), Megs 105 + 205 and swirls still there.
I then tried a Megs microfibre pad, still poor results.
Tried Menzerna heavy cut compound 400 with the orange pad and the MF pad - still not much better :sadlike:

I've tried different techniques, different speeds, different pressure, everything - what's going on??????

Has anyone else dealt with heavy scratches and swirls on their Audi and what worked for you?
I did mine 2 weeks back mate, results were better than I expected considering what I used!

Before:
1-jpg.121972

Washed it by hand (two buckets), clayed it with the G3 mitt, washed it again, dried it and then used a £80 DA with a black soft pad & Meguiars Ultimate Compound....a good few hours later and this is the result:

2-jpg.121973

3-jpg.121974

4-jpg.121975

5-jpg.121976

7-jpg.121978

I just over lapped each pass with the DA by 50% and went slowly...

Reactions: AlexA4Avant