scratch removal

chrisn900

Reaction score
Hi

I'm very new to this forum, it's been just one week since i purchased my A3!
The previous owner must have loaded lots of rubbish into the boot as there are a number of scratches and scuffs on the top of the bumper.
Not many are deep enough to be felt with a fingernail.
I'd like some advice on the best diy products etc. to remove or cover these marks.
The car is phantom black in colour on an 06 plate.
Thanks for any help and advice !!

Hi Chris

Firstly, welcome to AS.net. Be sure to upload some photos of the newly aquired A3 :)

I hate the loading area; prone to receiving nasty scuffs and scrapes as you've pointed out..

Those that aren't felt with a fingernail, you should be able to polish out. Will you be polishing by hand, DA or rotary?

A useful starting point would be to read this guide which was populated by the market leaders, PolishedBliss.

Thanks for your help gents.
As i said i've had the car less than 2 weeks
Washed it last Saturday with good quality shampoo,jetwashed, chamois dried then used clay on bonnet (not the time nor stamina to do whole car yet)turtle wax ice polish all over car then microfibre cloth to finish off.
Came up quite clean but not a patch on the S3 job by Jimmeh !!
If you can give me advice on how and what to use to achieve decent results washing and polishing etc.in say, a 2 to 3 hour stint I'd be grateful. Like I said I've not the time nor stamina to do the type and quality of job that is shown in your pictures.
Thanks again ;))

Generally speaking, you should only need to spend 2 hours a week doing a careful wash and dry, and a longer morning of up to 4 hours every couple of months or so (when you need to top up the protection). In contrast, the act of polishing should only need to be done once a year at most. Check out this guide to the overall routine we recommend for dark metallic cars...

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=73252

and see the content of this guide for an illustrated run through of what to do when washing on a weekly basis...

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/guides_wash.html

:icon_thumright:

thanks for the help and advice
I'll give your suggestions a go in near future
need a wash mitt and soft microfiber cloth to replace sponge and chamois i reckon too