Scraping noise coming from driver side front wheel.

Payney1998

Reaction score
Hi I’ve got an Audi A3 1.8 TFSI 2009 and when I got in the car yesterday and started to set off I noticed a fairly loud scraping noise coming from the wheel. I pulled over again straight away to have a look and the disc isn’t marked so there’s nothing jammed in between the break pad and disc the handling isn’t affected still drives like it should so I’m assuming it’s not the wheel bearing. I’ve heard a few people say it could be the backing plate rubbing off the disc but could that be possible since the issue just randomly started when I got in the car ?

Could be a stone between the back face of the disk and the splash guard. Give the guard a wiggle, stones usually drop out.

Reactions: Payney1998
I've had backplates rubbing and had to bend them out with a flat driver. It was on an Astra mk5 but they're pretty similar on all cars.

I once had the inside of the wheel arch come loose and rub against the tyre as it was driving.
When you pull over to take a look the plastic trim returns to where it should, so it's hard to identify.

Reactions: abmat and Payney1998
I once had the inside of the wheel arch come loose and rub against the tyre as it was driving.
When you pull over to take a look the plastic trim returns to where it should, so it's hard to identify.

I had this. Word a hole in the liner. I didn’t hear it for a while as I had my stereo at an inappropriate volume!

Quite common to get stones stuck between the backing plate and discs on these cars. I've had it a couple of times, once when the council was laying loose top stones on tar during a summer. The other common thing is a sticking slider bolt - assuming you have front ATE calipers like mine. The bolt is a combined caliper retention and slider bolt and about one centimetre next to the thread gets baked on brake dust/carbon and causes sticking/rubbing - particularly after braking. Can me cleaned with wire wool and then lightly greased with appropriate brake lubricant.