Facelift Scrape to bumper / boot area

Trevolly

Reaction score
02D7B542 F0AD 4FD6 B963 75C25ED9F974
Hi all.

Just got back from holiday and have found this scrape cleaning the car. Dunno if it was done by another car in the car park or a suitcase. It’s through the paint and the black is the plastic below.

Can anyone help how this could be fixed? Is the chipex system worth a look? Thanks guys

Hard to see how that could be from another car unless it was really high up like a Range Rover. Very specific area too, a high up bumper would have caused more damage that a localised ding like that. Personally i would get a touch up pen from Audi and go from there. Also, you can buy a really good mat that extends out protecting the bumper from Audi. My A3 had a few scratches like yours from suitcases so. When i got my Q2 i thought i would look in to protection. It works really well and folds in the boot area when not used.

Reactions: S32B
Chipex will be ~ £35 for the basic kit, so worth a punt, I'd say. It should hide the black well and do a somewhat better job I expect than you could do with traditional touch-up paint in a bottle with a brush, but you'll always still always know it's there. So a case of something more expensive/professional and hope that's as good as new, or use Chipex, live with it, and wait for something worse (!) that demands a "proper job" be done.

Rather depends how OCD you are/how irritated you'll be it's not perfect. For me, there are now a number of places paintwork isn't perfect, I have light swirl marks and other results from stones etc, but I do a clay/Autogylm Super Resin Polish/High Def Wax sequence once a year and use Express Wax on every wash every one or 2 weeks. Works for me - I don't need the car to be perfect, but like it looking looked after, and find the cleaning therapeutic ;-) YMMV.

You've "only" £35 to lose trying Chipex. Be happy that being on the bumper/plastic, it's not a rust risk :smile new:

BTW, looks like there have been some other repairs on the lip of the boot/tailgate? I'd hope the result you'll get from Chipex would be better than those repairs...

Last edited:
Looks like the damage was done by loading/unloading something from the boot.
I’ve had smart repairs done but generally they don’t last very long and look pretty pants after a while. It’s really for tarting up a car before sale rather than long term fix.
It’s not that big so touch it up to make it look better would be what I would do and just live with it.
If it really bothers you I would just get it painted.
You are probably looking at £2-300 to get the bumper done.

Reactions: S32B
That's not a big job, a smart repair from chips away would sort that out. Send them a picture for a quote. Silver is also easy to match.

Hard to see how that could be from another car unless it was really high up like a Range Rover. Very specific area too, a high up bumper would have caused more damage that a localised ding like that. Personally i would get a touch up pen from Audi and go from there. Also, you can buy a really good mat that extends out protecting the bumper from Audi. My A3 had a few scratches like yours from suitcases so. When i got my Q2 i thought i would look in to protection. It works really well and folds in the boot area when not used.

Not sure if this is the item Ormesome means but I bought this to protect my A3 Sportback and it does the job nicely.

AUDI A3,S3 BOOT FLOOR REVERSIBLE CARPET MAT LOAD PROTECTION (8V4862559)

Reactions: Ormesome
I had Toyota yaris run into the back of me on Saturday, the damage looks quite minor.
There is a dent on the tailgate and light scratches to the bumper/bumper trims.
The bodyshop have quoted £3k to fix!
Looking at the summary it includes removing both side windows and the rear window. I honestly cant believe it

Good luck with your smart repair lol
20190525 115956 3024x2268

Thanks all. I’ve ordered an Audi touch up pen and the loading protector mat (£53 so I think it may be the one above). When I get the pen do I just use it straight on to the area or is it worth getting some v v fine glass paper? Do I use a wax remover (I know it’s a small area just wanna give it the best chance poss) and if so can anyone recommend? If anyone can advise I’d appreciate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ormesome
Thanks all. I’ve ordered an Audi touch up pen and the loading protector mat (£53 so I think it may be the one above). When I get the pen do I just use it straight on to the area or is it worth getting some v v fine glass paper to sand the area down a bit? (If anyone can advise I’d appreciate).
You would be better with the chipex kit as It comes fully equipped with everything you need, but even with that all you'll do really is improve the look.
Obviously it's a heck of a lot cheaper than respraying the whole back end but dont expect miracles

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Thanks all. I’ve ordered an Audi touch up pen and the loading protector mat (£53 so I think it may be the one above). When I get the pen do I just use it straight on to the area or is it worth getting some v v fine glass paper to sand the area down a bit? (If anyone can advise I’d appreciate).

Good going! The mat is really good. That photo i posted above makes it look a little small but its pretty good on the A3. The photo shows a Q5 i think so the boot opening is bigger. The cover should cover up most of the bumper on your A3. When you get it, fix it to the little tethering points inside the boot nearest to the opening. Personaly, i would just put a few dabs of the touch up pen on the black part and build it up. Some might scof at the idea but im sure it will work ok if the colour match is good. I wouldnt go making the area any bigger, you will likely go in to the realm of needing it done professionaly if you do! Start with the top scratch 1st to get a feel for it maybe, As it is smaller, it might be easier to start with. Then try the bigger one below once you have the gist of things...

Reactions: Trevolly
Thanks all. I’ve ordered an Audi touch up pen and the loading protector mat (£53 so I think it may be the one above). When I get the pen do I just use it straight on to the area or is it worth getting some v v fine glass paper? Do I use a wax remover (I know it’s a small area just wanna give it the best chance poss) and if so can anyone recommend? If anyone can advise I’d appreciate.
You won't be happy with a repair done yourself with a touch up stick! If you are going to use the paint get a small brush like one you find in a kids painting set, the brush that comes with it from Audi will just blob it on.

Smart repair!!! But what do I know...I just work in a car factory building and repairing them lol :D