1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Scary moment removing broken spark plug on my s3

Joshstan May 9, 2014

1. Joshstan

Joshstan Registered User

I decided I would change my spark plugs today so take off the coilpacks go to undo the first plug and snap I had the porcelain part with the nut in my hand and the threads still in the head
    Phones round a few garages and got a quote of 200quid to get it out
    There must be a better way? And there is!

First I got a set of easy outs from screw fix for a tenner you need the one that has the same size head as a 1/2 drive ratchet you need a 1/2 drive extention and a 13mm spanner

Put the easy out in the leftover plug put the extention bar upside down on top and use the 13mm spanner to turn the bar and here was my outcome
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition...Its all about the flow... Staff Member Moderator

What make of plugs were they?

Lucky one there, could have been a lot worse!... easy outs are pretty cool... have used them a few times myself... good work :)

<tuffty/>

4. desertstorm

desertstorm Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

Very lucky that you managed to get that out without any damage at all. Both to your engine and your pocket.
    What make plug was that ?, Looks like it may have been overtightened in the first place which meant it was going to fail when you removed it.

5. Joshstan

Joshstan Registered User

The were ngk plugs and yeah it was ****** tight I was amazed the new plug went in no trouble at all I actually air punched after I got it out

JudderMan, CHEZ and Lavis89 like this.
  6. Clart

Clart Audi S3 Section Mod

Loves an air punch me, followed by a power grab! :rock:

kanecullen89 likes this.
  7. Joshstan

Joshstan Registered User

Haha it's just gotta be done!

8. MUSH

MUSH MUSH Developments Ltd.

Ive had this exact issue on a friends mk4 1.8t. NGK Iridium plug just crumbled as yours did.

Same method of extraction used then i attached some small hose to a hoover to pick up the debris from the cylinder before refiring.

9. Joshstan

Joshstan Registered User

I stuffed one of those telescopic magnets down there it picked up a few bits of filings but nothing much
    I did have some oil in there though where my rocker cover gasket needs changing that gave me a little blue smoke on start up
    Anyways wish me luck because today I have to pluck up the courage to do the other 3 plugs just couldn't bring myself to do it yesterday lol

10. samurai

samurai Registered User

really ??? Who told you that ?? explaine on what way you think thats possible?

11. RobinJI

RobinJI Registered User

Guessing he just means first start after doing the plugs, not all starts. If the cam-cover gaskets leaking into the plug holes, then when he took the plug out the oil in there will have drained into the cylinder, so will get burned off when first fired up.

12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. samurai

samurai Registered User

if thats it then i apology for misunderstanding

14. Joshstan

Joshstan Registered User

That was it lol just this start up as there was quite a bit of oil resting there lol

15. JudderMan

JudderMan Registered User

Air punch LOL

[​IMG]

glad you got it sorted.