Scare on Day 1 of A2 Ownership

• Thread starter imported_RogueElement
  • Start date
I

imported_RogueElement

A few hours after picking up the car and driving it home, etc I wanted to look at the engine. I hadn't taken the time to read the manual and after pulling the handle under the dash, folding down the front grill to reveal the dipstick, water, oil etc I undid the toggles on either side to release the bonnet....

Then my 5 minute nightmare started...

The bonnet slid forward slightly and I thought "Oh, thats strange and kinda cool, the bonnet slides forward before you lift it". Then I lifted the bonnet up and saw the engine for the first time. As I was holding the bonnet up with one hand, looking for the usual stand to prop it up, the bonnet slide slightly and as a grabbed it with both hands IT CAME COMPLETELY OFF IN MY HANDS!!!!

It was a nice day, and there were a few people around the carpark, who were obviously quietly checking out my new car and I got a few gasps and one guy asking me "I hope thats supposed to do that mate" with a concerned look on his face.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

It took me a good 3 or 4 minutes to calm down and very carefully replace the bonnet on the car and after almost calling roadside assistance for help I managed to get it back in place....

The moral of the story kids?

Always read the manual. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Damn! So how does the bonnet actually open properly? Is it one piece that just comes completely off?

It is a single piece that comes completely off.

Because you can get to the dipstick/water/oil using the "service module" at the front, coupled with the fact the engine is mounted at a 45 degree angle, there isn't much point in going under the bonnet.

[ QUOTE ]
RogueElement said:
It is a single piece that comes completely off.

Because you can get to the dipstick/water/oil using the "service module" at the front, coupled with the fact the engine is mounted at a 45 degree angle, there isn't much point in going under the bonnet.

[/ QUOTE ]

That got me when i tested a A2... Open the bonnet and it came off in my hand... i was like "eerrr.. was that supposed to happen!" lol same as you! Except as it was the dealers care it didnt bother me too much.

Rich

Had one as a courtesy car while mine was in for a service took the bonet off out of sheer curiosity after reading this the ****** thing,i nearly slice my finger off try to get it back on so theres now a red a2 in the teeside area with matching colour codeing under the bonnet and its left a small scare never again.

Yeah well u should try driving one and throwing it about abit m8.....too high understeers.....can be fun though... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Thats probably why there not replaicing it to much insurance claims for lost limbs.Have also found it likes togo straight instead of turning in the wet but they do sound quite sweet when you gently plaice it into second whilst doing about 65-70 and it didnt go pop either.Had to get my revenge for me finger.

Yep revenge is sweet m8 especially when u can take it out on a courtesy car... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif I agree they dont turn well in wet at all.

[ QUOTE ]
berts S3 said:
Thats probably why there not replaicing it to much insurance claims for lost limbs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it not getting replaced ???personaly i think they are ugly wee cars but hey wot do i know,
maybe thats why this part of the forum is so slow its like a ford forum asking who hasnt got rust lol /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Good one Mick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif Or people just dont wanna own up to owning one.../ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif