Scammed by another member on here

R0cket

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
So the cut a really long story short I paid for some goods from a member on here on the 6th of June for £150 and paid by bank transfer.

He said he’d pallet them up and I gave my work address so I’d have a forklift available and then I could decant them into the avant to take home. We were due to move premises in a little over a week and thought it’d arrive before then so no problem. After a few days passed I asked him when delivery should take place. He said Friday. Great the day we finalise the move...

Anyhow Monday comes around and he texts saying the pallet has been returned to him. I give him the benefit of the doubt and give the new work premises to ship to as we’d moved over completely now and say to put my mobile number on the consignment. Another week passes and I chase him more and more. Again he says the pallet has been returned to him.

Ok strange. So I say you best send it to my house and I’ll book a day off to stay in. Needless to say nothing.

Fed up I ask for a refund and he offers to refund me. Now the 2nd of July. Many many texts later and many “I’ll get that refund sorted today” promises and I’m still out of pocket.

I’ll be contacting my bank to see what they can do as I have his bank details so we can trace him through that.

Not good that mate hope you get it sorted. For anything over a hundred I'd be getting whoever to throw a quick eBay listing up. At least then you have some security.

Sorry to hear that a member of this respectful forum have con you.

Report him to moderators/admins. He may be only banned or removed from the forum but some lesson for starters.
Maybe a record of your conversation between you two can be obtained

Bank may be of help but even here, hands tied as YOU have made the transfer.

Report it to the police and they will also be involved.

Not so comforting words of experience but, a mate of mine thought he is getting a good deal for 5 iPhone 6’s at half the market value.
Transferred the money and it turned out to be a con. Police and bank involved but guess what ... no money and no gear.
Bank says “you have pressed the button for transfer” and the coppers said “We do best We can”.

I would do PayPal or credit card payment, if I were you. More action they can take to get you tour money back.
Ebay listing also is a good idea. They got listings with fees cheap as chips, nowadays.

Hope it will get sorted for you.

Feel ashamed, cons started to target honest forum members from their hard earned money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ghost, Sandra, voorhees and 1 other person
Name and shame him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a similair issue a while back with a forum member off here aswell. I sold him a car and then a year later he had a part for sale i needed "will send the refund today" etc... Ended up finding his works phone number and got hold of him at his work. Like magic he refunded me immediately that day.

I dont think i would buy off a stranger from a forum ever again.

Before I had an Audi, I had a similar problem with a forum member on another owners club forum. He failed to deliver the parts I bought from him, and kept saying he'd refund me giving all sorts of excuses, including saying he was not around, abroad, not online etc. Yet I could see he was actively posting comments, and not abroad. I had to threaten him with going through the small claims court. You can do this online https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-for-money. As he was ignoring me, I pointed him to the bit about what happens if he does not respond, the court finding in my favour, and the extra costs he'd have to pay that I'd claim for too, for recovering the money he owed. It's disappointing when another forum member behaves like this, as you'd like to think we're responsible and sensible folk on here. Hope you get it sorted.

Reactions: Seanchadwick2k3
Before I had an Audi, I had a similar problem with a forum member on another owners club forum. He failed to deliver the parts I bought from him, and kept saying he'd refund me giving all sorts of excuses, including saying he was not around, abroad, not online etc. Yet I could see he was actively posting comments, and not abroad. I had to threaten him with going through the small claims court. You can do this online https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-for-money. As he was ignoring me, I pointed him to the bit about what happens if he does not respond, the court finding in my favour, and the extra costs he'd have to pay that I'd claim for too, for recovering the money he owed. It's disappointing when another forum member behaves like this, as you'd like to think we're responsible and sensible folk on here. Hope you get it sorted.
I'd say on the whole, most people make transactions without issues. I know of people here that have bought and sold just fine, inevitably there will be the odd bad egg........ Disappointing !

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Reactions: martin1984 and Ghost
It's a real shame to hear this and we hope you get it sorted out.

PLEASE as a reminder to all members use PayPal to give you some level of protection.

Reactions: JonnyDerv and Ghost