Saying goodbye to the S3

In that case you might as well not have folding mirrors at all. :D
Your attitude to this seems quite extreme.
The main point is to have the mirrors folded when the car is locked. :)
I really miss not having folding mirrors on this car. :(

it could even go the other way and sieze up with under use lol pmsl :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: Ron240, Jassyo06 and Audi Bairn
I didn't spec them, previous owner did.
I enabled the beep on lock/unlock on Carista so that works fine for me.
I wouldn't say my attitude is extreme, just trying to preserve the motor as it's not a feature I particularly need. If I lived in a narrow road I'd set it to auto fold but I've got my own driveway so not necessary.

Would be interesting to hear you thoughts on how they compare in terms of drive, sound, performance etc.

In that case you might as well not have folding mirrors at all. :D
Your attitude to this seems quite extreme.
The main point is to have the mirrors folded when the car is locked. :)
I really miss not having folding mirrors on this car. :(

TBH, when I had folding mirrors on my Golf GTI (standard fitment) I didn't see the point in them. If someone is walking close to your car where they might accidently scratch it with their coat etc, then at least mirrors out makes them walk a bit further away from the car itself.

When I specced my S3 it never even crossed my mind to spec them. Really not bothered is the mirrors fold or not. If standard equipment, the fair enough, but paying money just to see the mirrors fold? No thanks.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Would be interesting to hear you thoughts on how they compare in terms of drive, sound, performance etc.

I wouldn't call the A3/S3 a hot hatch in the extreme sense like a Civic Type R or Focus RS, but compared to a S5, the S3 will feel Hot Hatch like. The A/S5 is a big old barge these days. Think more GT, which will be reflected in the driving style.

Will be the far better car for motorway munching and big miles, but I think it'll struggle keeping up with an S3 on back roads.

I always quite fancied an S5 (old shape) as most of my miles are motorway / dual carriage way with a passenger who doesn't like traveling at fun pace on back roads. Just a shame the exterior (to my mind) is a backwards step for Audi. Pretty much like all their current cars TBH.

Actually it isn't, my friend has a 2018 S3 saloon Black Edition without folding mirrors!

Yup, mine didn't come with them unless selected as an option.

Not fussed about them anyway.

Last edited:
I wouldn't call the A3/S3 a hot hatch in the extreme sense like a Civic Type R or Focus RS, but compared to a S5, the S3 will feel Hot Hatch like. The A/S5 is a big old barge these days. Think more GT, which will be reflected in the driving style.

Will be the far better car for motorway munching and big miles, but I think it'll struggle keeping up with an S3 on back roads.

I always quite fancied an S5 (old shape) as most of my miles are motorway / dual carriage way with a passenger who doesn't like traveling at fun pace on back roads. Just a shame the exterior (to my mind) is a backwards step for Audi. Pretty much like all their current cars TBH.

I had the previous (the Facelift not the original) supercharged S5 and I still maintain it was better on the backroads than my S3 despite it's size.
It had S Tronic (unlike the current one) and "proper" Quattro (not Haldex like the S3).

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
Cars at this price range should have folding mirrors as standard!!
My old 1.2 fiesta from 2007 had folding mirrors out the factory and that was bought at £7k new.
One of my biggest gripe with Audi’s. When speccing a new car you look for the cool options like the virtual cockpit but never think about having to spec mirrors so it’s always missed.
Lol my 2003 Peugeot 307 xsi had folding mirrors as standard and was the first mainstream car to do so, only s class mercs had them I think. Never failed once in the 16 years 120k ownership thus far.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

It’s standard on the facelift S3 and TT, strange it’s not on an S5. Completely agree it ridiculous that it’s not considering the cost of one, but that’s Audi for you.
Not standard on the rs3 either.

I went from an S3 to S5, very different types of car, I did enjoy it, but looking back now I personally wish I had held onto the S3 a little longer, and then gone straight to the RS3. The 5 was a bit too grown up for me haha, that said it is still an outrageously good car and yours looks gorgeous!

Mine was a black edition too, albeit the previous generation, and it didn't have folding mirrors, I must of locked that thing 4-5 times every time I left it alone haha!
I had an rs5 cabrio as a courtesy car about a year ago, 65 plate I think with the v8. Thought it was a terrible car, slow and handled badly...felt slow heavy. Pretty sure it was a single clutch auto too. Looked nice though.

Given the Tripe that Audi are firing out now and no doubt will continue to do so. The current A5 has become a more attractive proposition than before in my eye's @Adam14 all the best with the new car mate

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Jcbmally, NevMan and 1 other person
@Adam14 - S5 looks stunning mate ! Congrats !
Looking foreword to more pics, inside & out & more of your thoughts on it :thumbs up:

@Snake Pliskin - Absolutely agree
My wife's new Renault Captur comes with leccy foldy mirrors as standard as well as blindspot warning as standard too
Audi really need to sort their spec'ing out TBH before it ends up like MINI, where everything is an option
Like you I do like the visual reminder when locking the car. Must be an age thing lol
PS Cupra has as standard folding mirrors too
Dont get me standard about minis. Joke prices. A club man 5 door jcw fully spaced was £48k I think in a BMW mini reading showroom about 3 years ago. Laughable

Reactions: Bristle Hound
I had the previous (the Facelift not the original) supercharged S5 and I still maintain it was better on the backroads than my S3 despite it's size.
It had S Tronic (unlike the current one) and "proper" Quattro (not Haldex like the S3).

Totally agree ... I do look back and think the S5 was a really nice car and the cabin just oozed quality.
It had real extended leather on the door arms and centre console too .. none of this cheap leather-ette mono pur lol
I loved the effortless pace of the car & it was incredible on long journeys.
Just those HUUUUGE doors which I don't miss lol :)

Reactions: Bristle Hound, Audi Bairn, NevMan and 1 other person
Given the Tripe that Audi are firing out now and no doubt will continue to do so. The current A5 has become a more attractive proposition than before in my eye's @Adam14 all the best with the new car mate
Thanks Jassy. Not had a proper chance to drive it yet with work but hope to this evening

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Audi Bairn, NevMan and Jassyo06
TBH, when I had folding mirrors on my Golf GTI (standard fitment) I didn't see the point in them. If someone is walking close to your car where they might accidently scratch it with their coat etc, then at least mirrors out makes them walk a bit further away from the car itself.

When I specced my S3 it never even crossed my mind to spec them. Really not bothered is the mirrors fold or not. If standard equipment, the fair enough, but paying money just to see the mirrors fold? No thanks.
Its handy so you know the car is locked. Also some spaces are so tight, morons wont get past your mirror so will just force through

Reactions: Bristle Hound and NevMan
Actually it isn't, my friend has a 2018 S3 saloon Black Edition without folding mirrors!
I was talking about the MY19 cars, as I know the MY18 didn't include folding as standard

You don't see the point in folding mirrors.....ok then there's nothing I can say that is going to change your mind....except that you seem to have great faith in humanity. :D
The most important point about folding mirrors is that they should be standard on a 40 grand car.

Reactions: oli356, Baldyone, Snake Pliskin and 2 others
You don't see the point in folding mirrors.....ok then there's nothing I can say that is going to change your mind....except that you seem to have great faith in humanity. :D
The most important point about folding mirrors is that they should be standard on a 40 grand car.
agree to both points! Too many times had my mirrors facing the wrong way due to morons "squeezing past". Plus, I live in the Cotswolds (narrow roads), so not having to open windows in ******* rain to fold in mirrors is handy.

1st option I spec, and yes, I have a £40k Q5 :-(

Next car unlikely to be an Audi they way they are going.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Bristle Hound, Ron240 and Snake Pliskin
Must have been getting the folding mirrors coming as standard mixed up with something else, they are definitely standard on the facelift TT.

Must have been getting the folding mirrors coming as standard mixed up with something else, they are definitely standard on the facelift TT.
Just had a look at the Configurator for the first time in ages, much improved with all the features

Just had a look at the Configurator for the first time in ages, much improved with all the features

It’s just a pity the basic cost of one is too high now. Almost £40k for an S-Line version with nothing added.

So had a look through the MMI last night, no folding mirrors. Truly baffling how a £55k+ car doesn't have them. I'm assuming with VCDS/Carista I should be able to activate the reversing mirror dip though?

So had a look through the MMI last night, no folding mirrors. Truly baffling how a £55k+ car doesn't have them. I'm assuming with VCDS/Carista I should be able to activate the reversing mirror dip though?

Crazy isn’t it! Reversing dip should just work if mirror set on passenger

Perhaps o/t but my 4 has a specific "button" to move the mirror thing to for mirror dip. Has another for heated mirrors and another to fold them. Perhaps a 4 thing though?

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: NevMan
Perhaps o/t but my 4 has a specific "button" to move the mirror thing to for mirror dip. Has another for heated mirrors and another to fold them. Perhaps a 4 thing though?

TX.

Is this on the mirror dial on the door? All I have is heated mirrors at bottom, left and right mirrors and then just the central position.

Is this on the mirror dial on the door? All I have is heated mirrors at bottom, left and right mirrors and then just the central position.

Yes, move dial to left (passenger side), engage reverse. You will then need to move mirror down to view road/pavement (it will remember this setting in future). I tend to leave dual on
Left unless I want to hear mirrors or move positions. Then when you engage reverse the passenger dips down.

Reactions: Adam14

TX.

Yes mate, cos you have a £70k+ vehicle

A friend of mine had the dipping mirror enabled on his TT which doesn't have folding mirrors, so I assume its possible to do this on other models.

It's a very handy feature.

It is yes albeit different car I guess as @q5man says ;)

TX.

Reactions: Adam14 and NevMan
A friend of mine had the dipping mirror enabled on his TT which doesn't have folding mirrors, so I assume its possible to do this on other models.

It's a very handy feature.
As per this post, dipping "feature" as far as I am aware works without any mods:

Yes, move dial to left (passenger side), engage reverse. You will then need to move mirror down to view road/pavement (it will remember this setting in future). I tend to leave dual on
Left unless I want to hear mirrors or move positions. Then when you engage reverse the passenger dips down.
emoji106.png

As per this post, dipping "feature" as far as I am aware works without any mods:

emoji106.png
Yes this is how it worked in my S3 but that had folding mirrors. I believe my Dad's A1 had to have it enabled via VCDS, however next time I go for a drive I'll give it a go :)

Reactions: Chris4410 and NevMan
Yes this is how it worked in my S3 but that had folding mirrors. I believe my Dad's A1 had to have it enabled via VCDS, however next time I go for a drive I'll give it a go :)

ah, fair enough, maybe it is folding mirrors that gives that functionality, but fairly sure (he says), my wife's A1 a few years back did the dipping and weren't folding....couldn't swear to it though

Correct it had to be enabled via the VCDS, it wasn’t just a case of having the mirror switch it the correct position.

Reactions: NevMan
So thought I'd make an update for those that asked, after now having had a good drive with the S5 this afternoon, and try and compare it to the S3, although I know they're two different animals.

The first thing that's super apparent, is the S5 grips so well, I'd assume down to the "proper" quattro system it has. I've got some nice back roads near me and at points where the S3 traction light would come on, the S5 doesn't and I feel more confident round the bends.

The S5 does feel noticeably bigger, so it is still a lot of fun on these roads, however the S3 with its more raw power and acceleration is more fun if I had to choose.

The S5 sounds a lot nicer than the S3, even with a Res delete on the S3. The sound under acceleration and driving just sounds ace. Start up is even nicer. Sounds much deeper than the S3.

S5s electric dampers make a lot more difference than on the S3, changing between comfort and dynamic actually feels different whereas in the S3 it didn't seem to make much difference, maybe a Magride calibration from DJAlix may have helped.

The interior of the S5 just feels so nice, the super sport seats, dash, alacantra on door cards etc all make it feel more premium than the S3, again I know these cars are quite different price wise.

Haven't noticed a huge difference in fuel consumption, it is a little worse than the S3 but not hugely which is surprising.

All in all very happy with the change, and hoping to get a coding session with DJAlix booked in next weekend to get some bits unlocked

Reactions: Jcbmally, Snake Pliskin, keenu and 5 others
I would have been surprised if you hadn't liked it, would have seriously considered one myself if a deal had of been available.

Reactions: Adam14, Ron240 and NevMan
Must admit I do love the S5 Coupe. :sunglasses:
It is clearly a class above the S3 in all respects, but with a price to match.
I ask myself do I really need a bigger can than the S3? The answer is no.
My preference in recent years has been for buying brand new so I ask myself can I actually afford an S5? The answer is probably not.
Do I want one......yes! :D

Reactions: Jcbmally, NevMan and Audi Bairn
Must admit I do love the S5 Coupe. :sunglasses:
It is clearly a class above the S3 in all respects, but with a price to match.
I ask myself do I really need a bigger can than the S3? The answer is no.
My preference in recent years has been for buying brand new so I ask myself can I actually afford an S5? The answer is probably not.
Do I want one......yes! :D
The S5 I got only had 2.5k miles on the clock so basically brand new. Actually worked out cheaper than the S3 but all depends on the deals you can manage.

Reactions: Jcbmally, Bristle Hound, NevMan and 2 others
So thought I'd make an update for those that asked, after now having had a good drive with the S5 this afternoon, and try and compare it to the S3, although I know they're two different animals.

The first thing that's super apparent, is the S5 grips so well, I'd assume down to the "proper" quattro system it has. I've got some nice back roads near me and at points where the S3 traction light would come on, the S5 doesn't and I feel more confident round the bends.

The S5 does feel noticeably bigger, so it is still a lot of fun on these roads, however the S3 with its more raw power and acceleration is more fun if I had to choose.

The S5 sounds a lot nicer than the S3, even with a Res delete on the S3. The sound under acceleration and driving just sounds ace. Start up is even nicer. Sounds much deeper than the S3.

S5s electric dampers make a lot more difference than on the S3, changing between comfort and dynamic actually feels different whereas in the S3 it didn't seem to make much difference, maybe a Magride calibration from DJAlix may have helped.

The interior of the S5 just feels so nice, the super sport seats, dash, alacantra on door cards etc all make it feel more premium than the S3, again I know these cars are quite different price wise.

Haven't noticed a huge difference in fuel consumption, it is a little worse than the S3 but not hugely which is surprising.

All in all very happy with the change, and hoping to get a coding session with DJAlix booked in next weekend to get some bits unlocked

Good write up Adam and interested to hear you had the same experience as me with the S5 feeling more planted and not much difference in fuel consumption.

Reactions: Jcbmally, Ron240 and Adam14
The S5 I got only had 2.5k miles on the clock so basically brand new. Actually worked out cheaper than the S3 but all depends on the deals you can manage.

Fair play you got a deal on used, assuming you financed as interest rates are usually WAY higher than new, circa 10%+. Obviously if you paid cash none of that matters and used is always the way to go to negate depreciation