Savings on used vs new price?

S32B

Reaction score
Been looking on carwow at new car prices, I noticed that the pcp vs cash quotes on average come in at £2,500 less if you opt for a pcp deal! (obviously make it back on the APR%) . But if you wanted to pay cash, it still makes sense to get it on pcp for the extra discount and then pay it off after a month or two!

But my question refers to the new/pcp price vs a under 12 month old used price. If for argument's sake a new /pcp deal could be had for £28k (and then bought outright after a month), how much lower in price would a used/under 12 month old car have to be for you to buy the used one over the new/pcp one?

I've seen a car new for £28k and a used with exactly the same spec for £25k that is just over 6 months old with 2,000 on the clock.

Probably comes down to how much you value being the very first owner and knowing for certain it hasn't just been ragged around for 6 months before you get your hands on it. In my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Bryant1998, S32B and Jcbmally
Both times I've gone used (6 months old) for my S3 and S5, and got great deals off new price and avoid that early depreciation. Saved nearly 33% off new on my S5, so financially for me the S5 was great value.
I know plenty on here curse and swear PCP but for some (me included) it works well and can comfortably afford the car. Is a lot cheaper obviously then if I'd bought an S5 brand new, this one was 6 months old and had 2,000 miles on the clock. No brainer for me.

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Bryant1998, S32B, Jcbmally and 2 others
When I bought my car (2014) it was actually cheaper to buy a new one than an ex-demo. Seems crazy but I guess Audi were desparate to register new cars at the time.

Reactions: NevMan, Matt Titanium, S32B and 2 others
Probably comes down to how much you value being the very first owner and knowing for certain it hasn't just been ragged around for 6 months before you get your hands on it. In my opinion.

Yeah that's the only thing I'm thinking as they are sporty cars I'm looking at! I took out an RF at the weekend, didn't know until I got there that it was also lowered, very very low miles on it and it also had different alloys but no originals!...I asked has it been used as a track day car...his face told me the answer! Did a decent test drive in it and crossed it off the list, guy was about the same size as me and it was a bit too cozy by the end! :p

But how much lower before you'd be tempted with a used one??? :)

Both times I've gone used (6 months old) for my S3 and S5, and got great deals off new price and avoid that early depreciation. Saved nearly 33% off new on my S5, so financially for me the S5 was great value.
I know plenty on here curse and swear PCP but for some (me included) it works well and can comfortably afford the car. Is a lot cheaper obviously then if I'd bought an S5 brand new, this one was 6 months old and had 2,000 miles on the clock. No brainer for me.

Is your pcp via audi or a bank etc? Used Audi pcp's are high APR%.
I'm looking to buy and keep long term the next car, but I suppose a £3k saving on a 6 month old car more than covers extending the warranty for the 4th and 5th year!

I've seen a Golf GTi performance registered June 2019 with 2,500 miles on it for £27k, £1,000 less than I could get a basic new GTi performance via pcp, but it also has the following on:
Art velours cloth upholstery with sports honeycomb design (£775)
19" Santiago alloy wheels with anti theft wheel bolts (£995)
Electric sliding/tilting panoramic glass sunroof with integrated roller blind (£1,050)

So almost £3,000 worth of decent options, saving in total almost £4,000!

f585fb035ad54567a9752f06ac62d05d.jpg

4687167258c444389e2cfb328688a5d3.jpg

Reactions: Nige Smith, Adam14, Pinky1959 and 1 other person
When I bought my 35 tfsi Sport new in March 2019 I paid £23K . This included extras of metalic paint, mudflaps, front parking sensors, heated seats, roofbars and towbar. I went the pcp route giving me a near £5K discount, about 18% and paid it off a few days later. The price was comparable with a no options 12/18 months old vehicle.

Colin

Reactions: RGBARGEE and S32B
I would never buy new again tbh, most recent purchase was 2years old, under 10k miles, saved just over £60k.
Lightly used and negotiate a warranty extension.......job done.
Looking in to the UK from the outside it does seem the UK is somewhat obsessed with a number being displayed on a number plate.

Reactions: Ormesome and S32B
I would never buy new again tbh, most recent purchase was 2years old, under 10k miles, saved just over £60k.
Lightly used and negotiate a warranty extension.......job done.
Looking in to the UK from the outside it does seem the UK is somewhat obsessed with a number being displayed on a number plate.
That is a very extreme example. What was it?

Colin

Reactions: Terminator x
Replaced my 2014 manual S3 with 2017 R8.
What a tool and with DSG and quattro every bit as usable as the S3, tbh in comfort it is more comfortable than the S3.

Used/new/nearly new comes down to maths, find a car with a reasonable spec, don't over spec and see what deals can be done.

Reactions: S32B
If you buy new you can extend the factory warranty to five years.
Also buy GAP insurance to replace for a band new car of similar spec if written off/stolen in the first five years.
Dealers in general register new cars, loan them out to test pilots as for a few months then sell them at cost.

Yeah that's the only thing I'm thinking as they are sporty cars I'm looking at! I took out an RF at the weekend, didn't know until I got there that it was also lowered, very very low miles on it and it also had different alloys but no originals!...I asked has it been used as a track day car...his face told me the answer! Did a decent test drive in it and crossed it off the list, guy was about the same size as me and it was a bit too cozy by the end!

But how much lower before you'd be tempted with a used one??? :)

Is your pcp via audi or a bank etc? Used Audi pcp's are high APR%.
I'm looking to buy and keep long term the next car, but I suppose a £3k saving on a 6 month old car more than covers extending the warranty for the 4th and 5th year!

I've seen a Golf GTi performance registered June 2019 with 2,500 miles on it for £27k, £1,000 less than I could get a basic new GTi performance via pcp, but it also has the following on:
Art velours cloth upholstery with sports honeycomb design (£775)
19" Santiago alloy wheels with anti theft wheel bolts (£995)
Electric sliding/tilting panoramic glass sunroof with integrated roller blind (£1,050)

So almost £3,000 worth of decent options, saving in total almost £4,000!

f585fb035ad54567a9752f06ac62d05d.jpg

4687167258c444389e2cfb328688a5d3.jpg
PCP was through Audi but it was a relatively competitive APR, think it was 4.9% not amazing but also not as bad as some I've seen!
Wasn't worth the hassle sorting external PCP finance for around £5-10 saving per month.

I'm not sure I'd ever buy new, the savings and deals on virtually new cars are endless.

£60k depreciation in 2 years. :openmouth:
I am also wondering what make and model of car this is?

Plus the chance to Spec it yourself if a factory order.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Replaced my 2014 manual S3 with 2017 R8.
What a tool and with DSG and quattro every bit as usable as the S3, tbh in comfort it is more comfortable than the S3.

Used/new/nearly new comes down to maths, find a car with a reasonable spec, don't over spec and see what deals can be done.
Fair play to you fella although must have been +£50k or more for the R8 still?

TX.

You only live once right, also considered the path you went down but 99% of the time it is just me in it so didn't need more doors (or any boot space :) ).

Where i live performance cars are very expensive so I still paid give or take £100k but first owner lost £60k in 10k miles.........bought thru Audi approved so got 2 years manufacturers warranty added.........more than fast enough and I know it is a dinosaur but so far well worth it for the performance, feel good factor, noise, responsiveness to the throttle (so much better than any turbo) etc etc. In stop start traffic averages 6mpg :)
New R8s no longer have an option of a sports exhaust and I suspect the next RS3 will go the same way, mine has got one and my word..........

I will shut up now, back on topic please.

Reactions: toooldforboyracing, Damo S and Terminator x
If you buy new you can extend the factory warranty to five years.
Also buy GAP insurance to replace for a band new car of similar spec if written off/stolen in the first five years.
Dealers in general register new cars, loan them out to test pilots as for a few months then sell them at cost.
I think you are only telling half a story here. New Warranty is the UK can be up to 5 years and I think 90,000 miles BUT only if you tick the box at time of order...BUT when Audi Warranty expires you can continue with an Audi Warranty and renew up to just before it's 9th birthday so Audi Warranty is available for up to nearly 10 years. Gap Insurance is in my opinion like most insurance designed to overall give a profit to the Insurance company and Shareholders. We have to have some Insurance but Gap seems pretty pointless. How many people have written off a car yet alone a nearly new one.. PLUS when you are the first registered keeper most Insurers provide a like for like replacement FREE in the event of a total right off. (Show how confident they are of the minimal risk they are taking!)

Been looking on carwow at new car prices, I noticed that the pcp vs cash quotes on average come in at £2,500 less if you opt for a pcp deal! (obviously make it back on the APR%) . But if you wanted to pay cash, it still makes sense to get it on pcp for the extra discount and then pay it off after a month or two!

But my question refers to the new/pcp price vs a under 12 month old used price. If for argument's sake a new /pcp deal could be had for £28k (and then bought outright after a month), how much lower in price would a used/under 12 month old car have to be for you to buy the used one over the new/pcp one?

I've seen a car new for £28k and a used with exactly the same spec for £25k that is just over 6 months old with 2,000 on the clock.
You can withdraw from a PCP within 14 days and keep the Incentive cash. Best deal I did was on an A7 BT in 2013.. 24% off list PLUS £6000 from Audi Finance (withdrew after a week, kept cash) Ran the car for a year 20k miles for about £1000. You need to be wise and do your homework.

Reactions: Terminator x and S32B
Looking at it from the inside it looks like the UK is obsessed with pointless Poser Plates due to an inability to remember their initials... each to their own!

Reactions: msdmjb
Looking at it from the inside it looks like the UK is obsessed with pointless Poser Plates due to an inability to remember their initials... each to their own!
Maybe some of us just want a number plate that is individual to us and actually becomes a part of us. :) I have had the same number plate for 22 years and its been on multiple cars.
I have no doubt that people who don't know me but recognise my number plate will see it and say, "that's him got another new car" :D
Like you say though, each to their own. :innocent:

Reactions: Mr Freeze, AllanG, 8YARWY and 2 others
Personally I prefer buying brand new for a few reasons - unbeatable feeling of knowing you are the very first owner, ability to get the car you want, incentives and benefits that only come with new. Of course you will usually always pay a premium buying new compared with nearly new, but to me it is worth it.
I have just ordered a new car at a reasonable discount. The model has been in production since last summer but as far as I can see there are no used examples at all in the UK.

Reactions: Matt Titanium, Mr Freeze and 8YARWY
Maybe some of us just want a number plate that is individual to us and actually becomes a part of us. :) I have had the same number plate for 22 years and its been on multiple cars.
I have no doubt that people who don't know me but recognise my number plate will see it and say, "that's him got another new car" :D
All my number plates are individual or should I say a matching pair!!

You can withdraw from a PCP within 14 days and keep the Incentive cash. Best deal I did was on an A7 BT in 2013.. 24% off list PLUS £6000 from Audi Finance (withdrew after a week, kept cash) Ran the car for a year 20k miles for about £1000. You need to be wise and do your homework.
Yeah that's what I'm looking at, it's a minefield of options and the more you look the more you add! :p

I've gone from saying around £20k for something like a ST Fiesta/Polo GTi as I don't use the car much, then it's gone up to £25k, then £27k for that GTi above and now I've just seen this for £29k with a lot of extra bits! https://usedcars.audi.co.uk/usedcar...VuZ2xhbmQ|1051,30000|1070,2019/l|12,1,t_geo,U

Reactions: pburv
You only live once right, also considered the path you went down but 99% of the time it is just me in it so didn't need more doors (or any boot space :) ).

Where i live performance cars are very expensive so I still paid give or take £100k but first owner lost £60k in 10k miles.........bought thru Audi approved so got 2 years manufacturers warranty added.........more than fast enough and I know it is a dinosaur but so far well worth it for the performance, feel good factor, noise, responsiveness to the throttle (so much better than any turbo) etc etc. In stop start traffic averages 6mpg :)
New R8s no longer have an option of a sports exhaust and I suspect the next RS3 will go the same way, mine has got one and my word..........

I will shut up now, back on topic please.
The R8 is still on my radar and I will own one eventually ;) That v10 will surely go down in history when we are all in zero CO2 EV's.

TX.

Edit - I sill view R8's in the classifieds every week!

Reactions: 8YARWY
I get that with mine too "oh I saw your car the other day, new car again!"

TX.

Reactions: 8YARWY

Suppose it just depends on the car really. Is the new car is stock? or will it be an order?

For me, I'd always buy new if I could. Take the PCP deal, then pay it off soon after. That way you'll get the savings. With the new A3 on the way, dealers will be keep to get rid of existing new stock, so you should be able to get a better deal. Being the first owner will always be better come resale, as it's a one owner car.

Search around for a brand new pre-registered car. I did this with my X3 M40i. Pre-registered, still sat in the showroom showing 6 miles on the clock. Got £16k off it's list price.

Reactions: S32B
I always found nearly-new cars to cost roughly the same (on PCP) as a new car as the APR is much higher.

My S3 was bought used (3.5 years old) using a bank loan so I'll own when the 5 years' repayments are done.

PCP is good for certain situations, but I'm glad to be out of that game (though maybe not forever).

Got my Mini Countryman on PCP and ended up settling the finance a year early and still own the vehicle now. I was paying 14% APR!!

Yeah maybe it was 12%, exorbitant in any case!

That's what happens when you order a brand new Mini and specify how much you want to pay per month.

At least I've had the car for 9 years and counting without too many problems, so cost of ownership has levelled out somewhat...

Yeah maybe it was 12%, exorbitant in any case!

That's what happens when you order a brand new Mini and specify how much you want to pay per month.

At least I've had the car for 9 years and counting without too many problems, so cost of ownership has levelled out somewhat...
Never buy a new car based on How much a month... you can have what you like on that basis if you manipulate the figures... BUT it will catch up with you!!

Reactions: HertS3 and Jassyo06
I always found nearly-new cars to cost roughly the same (on PCP) as a new car as the APR is much higher.

My S3 was bought used (3.5 years old) using a bank loan so I'll own when the 5 years' repayments are done.

PCP is good for certain situations, but I'm glad to be out of that game (though maybe not forever).

Got my Mini Countryman on PCP and ended up settling the finance a year early and still own the vehicle now. I was paying 14% APR!!

If you bought the S3 with a bank loan you own the car out rite

I think you are only telling half a story here. New Warranty is the UK can be up to 5 years and I think 90,000 miles BUT only if you tick the box at time of order...BUT when Audi Warranty expires you can continue with an Audi Warranty and renew up to just before it's 9th birthday so Audi Warranty is available for up to nearly 10 years. Gap Insurance is in my opinion like most insurance designed to overall give a profit to the Insurance company and Shareholders. We have to have some Insurance but Gap seems pretty pointless. How many people have written off a car yet alone a nearly new one.. PLUS when you are the first registered keeper most Insurers provide a like for like replacement FREE in the event of a total right off. (Show how confident they are of the minimal risk they are taking!)
You can tick the five year warranty box at time of order or you can buy at the time of registering when the car is new. I don't believe you can get the same deal or indeed the same cover later on with a nearly new car.
GAP insurance is cheap so long as you don't buy it from a dealer and you can defer start of the policy until the car is one year old to make use of the "free" first year. You can only get "back to invoice" on a nearly new car. On a new car you can pay a few quid (and it is only a few) more to get a brand new car instead of invoice price. Like you say pretty pointless if you don't claim but I know several people who have had cars written off and I have had two cars stolen/recovered/written off. A brand new car instead of market value on a four and a half year old car is quite tempting.
I don't believe nearly new from Audi dealers represent value compared to the deal you can get on a new car, but each to their own.

You can tick the five year warranty box at time of order or you can buy at the time of registering when the car is new. I don't believe you can get the same deal or indeed the same cover later on with a nearly new car.
GAP insurance is cheap so long as you don't buy it from a dealer and you can defer start of the policy until the car is one year old to make use of the "free" first year. You can only get "back to invoice" on a nearly new car. On a new car you can pay a few quid (and it is only a few) more to get a brand new car instead of invoice price. Like you say pretty pointless if you don't claim but I know several people who have had cars written off and I have had two cars stolen/recovered/written off. A brand new car instead of market value on a four and a half year old car is quite tempting.
I don't believe nearly new from Audi dealers represent value compared to the deal you can get on a new car, but each to their own.
You definitely have to order a car with 4/5 year warranty to benefit from lower cost. Adding on purchase day is more costly and pointless as you can add for same price at end of year 3.

Last edited:
You definitely have to order a car with 4/5 year warranty to benefit from lower cost. Adding on purchase day is more costly and pointless as you can add for same price at end of year 3.
I bought a car from dealer stock six years ago and extended the warranty to five years for the price in the brochure. This was transferred to my factory order car three years ago because I only owned the car for two years eleven months.
I haven't looked into buying after three years but from what has been said on here is considerably more expensive to buy and covers less.
Is Mythos white?

Never buy a new car based on How much a month... you can have what you like on that basis if you manipulate the figures... BUT it will catch up with you!!
I looked at a JCW last week, he called me up the next day with the monthly pcp figure, it was £20 less than my A5 coupe but over 48 months, where my A5 is over 36 months, I told him it's too much and i may as well stick with the A5 as it's not a downsize on payments. He said he'd see if he can reduce the monthly to what I 'want to pay', I said "Not being funny, but the only way you can do that is by making the balloon payment at the end higher", he said I'll call you back later...I'm still waiting :p:D

I bought a car from dealer stock six years ago and extended the warranty to five years for the price in the brochure. This was transferred to my factory order car three years ago because I only owned the car for two years eleven months.
I haven't looked into buying after three years but from what has been said on here is considerably more expensive to buy and covers less.
Is Mythos white?
Sounds like your dealer is doing some manoeuvring. Giving you a credit against another policy as with GAP doesn’t apply to 4/5 year warranty bought at time of order. Suggest you check on Mythos...having full facts before taking a view is usually a good idea.

I looked at a JCW last week, he called me up the next day with the monthly pcp figure, it was £20 less than my A5 coupe but over 48 months, where my A5 is over 36 months, I told him it's too much and i may as well stick with the A5 as it's not a downsize on payments. He said he'd see if he can reduce the monthly to what I 'want to pay', I said "Not being funny, but the only way you can do that is by making the balloon payment at the end higher", he said I'll call you back later...I'm still waiting :p:D
What was the costings on the jcw pal,as fancy one of those also,but dont fancy putting much down this time