Saturday afternoon upgrade gone wrong

Rob Annable

Reaction score
So you know the saying about preparation right?

Well this is how it is not done...

I have had my S4 for about a month and chomping at the bit to get some 19s on. As you do. (The 18s look a bit small and everyone seems to have bigger so I thought why not)

Old alloys off and the new ones on. I felt like Dominic Toretto.

IMG 9734

A quick drive down the road and 100m in I can hear rubbing and squeaking, but my estate is new the roads are horrific so I assumed it was a bit of tyre rub. No worries.

On to the main road and about 300m I start to smell smoke. So I pull over and the front passenger tyre is smoking like hell. I pull over for 5m to let it cool down and go home very slowly to see rubber spattered all over the front passenger wheel.

Maybe spacers might have been a good idea? Weird it was just that one though...

Its a classic one really Rob, many have done the same but few own up to it.
what size did you change too, alloys sizes and tyre sizes ?

Reactions: Rob Annable
I can see part of the problem straight away Rob, 255 is too wide really on A4's , fine on rs4 B7 as the wheel arches are wider but on a A4 very tight to say the least.
Don't just rush out chap, what rim width and offset are they, this is critical as you could well go the opposite with the wrong spacers, really you would have been better off working out fitting before hand but hindsight is a wonderful thing in that it is always too late.
can you see approx. where the tyre was rubbing.

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Rob Annable
ideal size on 19" is 235/35 19 as it is less likely to foul anything as there is a slight stretch , wider and the tyres protrude more outwards, but that depends on rim width aswell.

Hi, yeah i totally agree I have been an idiot rushing it. Not sure on offset but i think I am going to have to get some 235s on the front two at least and hope the back are ok and just try it out.
Not sure where they are catching, i have had my hand around the back and been underneath but just cannot see where the damn things are rubbing.

looks like a very nice cab by the way.

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Rob Annable
Thank you sir, stop trying to make me feel better though I am being grumpy!

Reactions: Sandra and Audi Bairn
If they are oem alloys then probably 8.5j or 9j wide.
offset approx. ET43 or ET45 .

Maybe just remove the offending rim and look at the inside and it will have the offset and rim width stamped on it, it best to know that info before anything else so you know what you are dealing with.

here you go Rob, I have oem 19" alloys 8.5j et43 with 235/35 19 tyres , no spacers fitted.
on the fronts if you look behind the rim, the gap between the tyre and the closest suspension part is only a few MM, its that close.
If you have 255 on the same size wheels you can where the problem is , rears are not such a issue from the inside edge of the rim is concerned it's the outside edge on the rears .
IMG 1871

You are a star thank you! I will swap out the fronts for 235s as per yours and risk the rears and see how the do and if they are the same I will swap them.

Thanks you everyone
Rob

Evening Rob, normally i'd say "told you so"...but that just wouldn't be cricket.
That is exactly what I meant when I said there it is tight , anyway hope you sorted it in the end , if so what method did you choose .
Audi ownership can be a very expensive and quick learning process, we've all been there Rob so you are not alone, well maybe in the case:whistle2::icon thumright:

Reactions: Rob Annable and Audi Bairn
Nice car Rob 2 :thumbs up:
Sorry to hear of your issues but it sounds like Rob 1 has done a great job helping you.

Reactions: Sandra and Rob Annable
Drove further than I could/would have. Must have been some drag!

As said, we've all been there one way or another. I could write a book on the daft/dangerous stuff I've done. Sometimes only one way to learn, haha.

Yeah its definitely a learning point for me.

Nah didn't notice the drag so assume it was only a mm or two catching.

I haven't sorted it yet, these pics are just the aftermath from the day it happened! :)

Also yes Rob1 and everyone else has been massively helpful, I cannot thank you all enough for the quick and awesome advice. In terms of a solution I am going to go with the narrower tyres (being fitted today) and then I will have a feel around once they are bolted on as to how much clearance there is before I go off driving on them. If they still rub I will look at the other options you guys suggested.

My next job will be an xpipe, a mate is desperate to get cutting/ welding with the exhaust too and I might let him twist my arm and gut the backboxes but I am a bit wary.

I think one thing this whole experience has taught me is to be more cautious...

here you go Rob, I have oem 19" alloys 8.5j et43 with 235/35 19 tyres , no spacers fitted.
on the fronts if you look behind the rim, the gap between the tyre and the closest suspension part is only a few MM, its that close.
If you have 255 on the same size wheels you can where the problem is , rears are not such a issue from the inside edge of the rim is concerned it's the outside edge on the rears .
View attachment 182245
Ps nice ride! Clean and menacing :)

You may still need spacers , depends on what offset the alloys are really.
Maybe 5mm or thereabout's to just to be safe allowing for tyre movement and camber changes etc, only a few mm clearance may not be enough .
If you do need spacers , go for good ones , not halfrauds ones.

You may still need spacers , depends on what offset the alloys are really.
Maybe 5mm or thereabout's to just to be safe allowing for tyre movement and camber changes etc, only a few mm clearance may not be enough .
If you do need spacers , go for good ones , not halfrauds ones.
Yeah thats a good shout, I bet the infernal Halfrauds ones are made out of crisps or something insubstantial :icon thumright:

Reactions: Sandra
@Rob Annable very nice car Rob. Hope you get your issues sorted soon :)

Thanks for the advice everyone, new ones on for the last time last night and no drama.
I really appreciate the help :)

Reactions: TOM.S, daytonamart, Sam1989 and 1 other person