SatNav Options

Ormesome

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just after some opinions really. Im not going to pay £500 for the Audi SatNav for my A3 so im trying to find the best alternative. I have an outdated Garmin so could replace this but seems pointless not to use my phone as i have a 6s Plus so screen would be a nice size to view maps on. I travel to Portugal a lot from the UK so need good Europe maps with traffic. Any views/reviews on the IOS TomTom app? iv used it for the 50 free miles but something that put me off was no voice notifications unless phone mode is selected on MMI. If radio is selected then no voice notification via the MMI.

Also, the space to the right of the binacle/steering wheel is really small, how do you guys cope with the 5/6 inch Tomtom and Garmins?

Any other good apps out there? would prefer no data usage but with 3 so so probs if it uses a little.

Cheers.

The latest A3 comes with Audi Smartphone Interface which looks something like this

d96e94600a5252fafa2be8d25b10286d.jpg

Therefore connecting up your iPhone will allow you to use Apple Maps on the MMI screen - never actually tried it so don't know how great Apple Maps are for navigation.

Not sure if you can use google maps from the iPhone - haven't seen the option on CarPlay but never say never

I have the PFL! so upgrading to a FL A3 would cost more than a TomTom!! :)

Reactions: S.
One of these as your mount and then the device of you're choosing:

There is no elegant solution to having voice prompts through the speakers while listening to the MMI as a music source. You could opt for a mirror link box and use any iOS maps application, but you would only be able to use the iPhone as a music source while doing so. You would need to have Video in Motion activated on your MMI to use this though.

I use TomTom GPS GO 510, with free maps and radars for life. World map, and I can put my personal pois.
I am very satisfied with it.

The costs is £200 aprox. But activate GPS and maps in Audi is £600...

Reactions: IBaudiSport
DJAlix, awesome, i was looking at those too. seems a good option. do you ave one? do you know where to buy them?normal places like amazon,ebay?would need Portugal delivery though... The only option i have found is Googlemaps but then i have to have data abraod. I have a 3 sim so its no hastle but iv found it does use alot. When im playing radio then it comes up as a phone call so interups and gives route guidance. All other apps/options seem to not do this and only work when im on buetooth mode/phone mode option on MMI. I can always just not have voice guidance i guess and opt for tomtom on iphone but kinda defeats the object!

FrA1l3, defo looking at the tomtom option too. debating where the £35 for 3 years on the iphone for tomtom worldwide maps is a better idea than buying a stand alone system...

DJAlix, awesome, i was looking at those too. seems a good option. do you ave one? do you know where to buy them?normal places like amazon,ebay?would need Portugal delivery though...

FrA1l3, defo looking at the tomtom option too. debating where the £35 for 3 years on the iphone for tomtom worldwide maps is a better idea than buying a stand alone system...
I do have a basic iOS / Android Mirror Link unit which I purchased to test with but to be honest it's not great. You get what you pay for and I paid approx £40.00 here in the UK from eBay. Have seen them on Amazon and AliExpress also:

13731835 946262692185656 6884462478026189528 o

You need to be looking at units priced between £150 to £300 to get anything of quality it seems. There is another option which I forgot to mention, something which I am yet to see or test, but you could look at the following:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221906903261?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Yeh, don't get the sd based SatNav. Map updates are only available by getting a new sd card for £280. The sd SatNav itself is worth nowhere near that and the only advantages over a separate TomTom are the lack of wires, controlling with the mmi and the central display integration. I wish I hadn't bought it, £500!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just to update this thread. Didnt go for the £500 SD Card maps option via Audi, cost was just too extreme plus no updates. Admittedly i would prefer it as no wires and all integrated but just too costly especially when i might not keep the car for that long & cant take the maps with me even though im likely to stay with Audi. In the end went for the TomTom app on the iPhone. £35 for 3yrs full access/world maps with traffic across the world included. Seems like a bargain. Someone on here recommended the Samsung phone holder, saw this in the services in France on offer so bought this too. The TomTom app got me through most of Europe recently and worked perfectly. It only gives audio directions/alerts when on Media setting but as i listen to Spotify mostly then it comes through, fades in and out perfectly. I think it was the best option for me. Reasoning behind buying the app is that even though most tomtom/garmins include lifetime maps, the system will be pretty old by the time 3yrs comes along. My old Garmin is really slow even though it has 2016 maps.

Reactions: IBaudiSport and Gordo77
Glad you got it sorted, I use CoPilot & find that very good, pricewise it's similar to the TomTom app.

Glad you got it sorted, I use CoPilot & find that very good, pricewise it's similar to the TomTom app.

Nearly went for CoPilot. i have used it before but after trying the free 50miles on the tomTom app i thought it was a safer bet. The free "here" app is quite good too but i found it a bit touch and go for normal driving directions. Walking around a foreign city though its amazing.

Nearly went for CoPilot. i have used it before but after trying the free 50miles on the tomTom app i thought it was a safer bet. The free "here" app is quite good too but i found it a bit touch and go for normal driving directions. Walking around a foreign city though its amazing.
I had used the TomTom app on a Windows mobile some years ago & really liked it, but when I changed to an iPhone I tried both & went with CoPilot.

Are you purchasing a 2017 A3....if so use your android or ios smartphone with Google offline maps and use the MMI via the new Audi smartphone interface. Download Offline maps you want to your phone on WiFi and you will then navigate with Google maps with visual and voice commands, plus NO data charges. Google maps are the best as they are constantly updated

Last edited:
Reactions: IBaudiSport
Are you purchasing a 2017 A3....if so use your android or ios smartphone with Google offline maps and use the MMI via the new Audi smartphone interface. Download Offline maps you want to your phone on WiFi and you will then navigate with Google maps with visual and voice commands, plus NO data charges. Google maps are the best as they are constantly updated

See post 2 and 3 ;) thanks for the help though :)