Sat Nav

big-3

Reaction score
hey all was just looking throught the s3 hand book and it has a pic of sat nav in the 8l chasse,

was wondering if anyone had it? is it any good, how rare it was for these models and can you buy it to fit?

thanks

Had it in mine from new, was very happy with it although the fact it used CDs for maps was a pain especially when travelling in europe through multiple countries.
TMC worked well and the display on the dash, duplicating the junction instructions was nice.

However I would certainly look at fitting the new satnav units rather than the RNS-D ones if you do decide to go that route

I had it in my old s3, it was a very good unit, and as said below it has a nice feature of using the pixel display in the instrument cluster for arrowed directions and road names etc.

Mine was factory fitted, it is very very rare in an 8L, and even rarer to find being sold seperately.

If you search this 8L forum for a thread I posted 'pics of my misano red s3, thoughts on wheels' you'll find in that thread I posted pics of my old s3 with the factory fitted sat nav.

thanks for th replys guy how would you go about fitting the new one? is that possible? thought the dsash's were different?
thanks

I think the A6 one will fit iirc the new A3 one has radius corners which leaves a gap,you have to have double din as well (stereo with cd changer)

The A6 sat nav is exactly the same unit as to one ones fitted in the 8L's but the faciar is very slightly different if I'm correct. The A6 one slants outwards towards the top of the unit more than the S3 ones do, the faciar could possibly be slightly wider as well.

A guy on here has put together a 30 page guide into fitting the new RNS-E sat nav unit into the 8L's and all you have to do is email him and he'll send you a PDF of the guide he made up, if your happy with the guide and it's helpful to you then just donate a small amount to him via Paypal. He posted a thread in this forum last week, It's headed 'Audi 8L RNS-E guide' I think, on on the 2nd forum page. :icon_thumright:

Last edited:
if i remember right, i coded one for someone a while back, and im sure it was an A6 model for the 8L, it also has to be coded as an A6 to work correctly for the 8L.
as mentioned already, as long as youve got double din already then its really straight forward, a little more involved if youve got to convert to double din but nothing extreme, just a little bit more time and obviously more expense.
a good addition to your car though, a good unit, great intergration and a good selling point later on, ive had mine a while now and wouldnt be without it, i also had to do the single to double din mod but all well worth it.

think i have the single din as i have a cd changer, and casset deck in the dash, any pictures of yours ' onewheelonly'

thanks again for all your help and time

Hi all, following on from this thread what A6 model/year should I be looking at when purchasing this satnav. Also their has been a mention of coding! is this expensive? I have noticed a few sightes on ebay selling these units, are thay sound to buy from, especialy as ones based in the ukraine and another in poland. thanks

The A4 sat nav is supposed to be a better fit, the A6 sat nav is supposed to need a small insert made to fit the small gap left at the top on an S3. Small changes on the front panel I believe. Hardware is the same.

Coding can be done easily using any of the diagnostic software like VAG COM.

As for ebay, some people have had good experiences, others bad. I think if anyone here has had a good experience they could pass on a good seller to you that you could search for. I'm about to do the same and put in a sat nav myself, saving a lot of money but I just need to find a complete package as I'd rather buy everything in a one off purchase, instead of buying loads of little bits and paying extra P&P. I have the double DIN already so shouldn't cause too much hassle.

think i have the single din as i have a cd changer, and casset deck in the dash, any pictures of yours ' onewheelonly'

thanks again for all your help and time
Pic of my RNS-E retrofit
RNS.jpg

Thanks omegad. I also have a double din. I agree it would be best to get everything in a one off purchase. If you or anybody else does manage to source a reputable dealer etc please do post link/thread. P.S im thinking maximum of £350, is that realistic?

No. You're looking at around £500-£600 for the Sat Nav at the prices currently then fitting on top of that. So it'll be anywhere from around say £600-£850. Hazzy Dayz are very reputable and will do it for £850. Sounds a bit steep to me though.

There is a place on ebay offering them for £550 inc fitting. Autotronics UK or something like that, based in Leicester if I remember correctly. I've inquired but they asked for a picture of my head unit and I'm not sure if it sounds like they know what they're doing.

I'm unsure whether to go ahead and fork out all that money for Hazzy Dayz when I have other things to pay for on my car. I use my Sat Nav an awful lot though and would love the Traffic Management system. Can anyone confirm it works properly in the UK? I've heard some people say it does, others that it doesn't.

where did you get your fitted Bobt? That looks lovely and is REALLY tempting me. :)

That looks awesome bobt! Just what I'm planning to do.

What unit did you buy for that retro fit? Cos I know that the faciars are different across the models, I.e a3, pre 2001 a4, post 2001 a4, a6 etc..... I've done a bit of looking up and am I right in saying that the pre 2001 a4 faciar is the same as the s3's? Did you have to do any fabricating for it to fit? And what extra bits did you have to buy?

Last edited:
That looks awesome bobt! Just what I'm planning to do.

What unit did you buy for that retro fit? Cos I know that the faciars are different across the models, I.e a3, pre 2001 a4, post 2001 a4, a6 etc..... I've done a bit of looking up and am I right in saying that the pre 2001 a4 faciar is the same as the s3's? Did you have to do any fabricating for it to fit? And what extra bits did you have to buy?

A4 unit is best to use as it leaves a smaller gap at the top of unit (i filled with some chrome trim) but will need triming on sides and bottom to fit 8l dash. I had single din so had to fit double dim cage, if you have to fit double din cage you will also have to trim climate facia down to fit.
Can be coded as A6 or Lambo, if coded as S3 you get the S3 start up screen but doesn't work with DIS

Parts:
RNS-E unit
GPS antenna
wiring adapter
double din cage

If you need help just ask mate. It's well worth the effort

Last edited:
HI. Just a quick Q. I have a audi s3 52 plate with a double din as stan. Does a a3 07 plate sat nav fit straight in (fitting = hardware). Thanks for all feedback. Ps. If audi A4 fits better please advise on model ie. year/model.

HI. Just a quick Q. I have a audi s3 52 plate with a double din as stan. Does a a3 07 plate sat nav fit straight in (fitting = hardware). Thanks for all feedback. Ps. If audi A4 fits better please advise on model ie. year/model.

No the A3 RNS has rounded top corners go for an A4 unit 02 till i think 07 it will need to be trimmed slightly

where did you get your fitted Bobt? That looks lovely and is REALLY tempting me. :)

Fitted myself it's not a hard job even if you have to fit double din cage
you just need to take time cutting unit and climate down to fit.
And yes the TMC works fine in the uk with i think a 2007 on nav DVD when first inserted it updates firmware

Last edited:
can u get speed camera info using the rns-e?

Thanks for the info. Regarding hardware, do i need extra fuses, relays or ecunits?

p.s I have found an a3 07reg satnav at a reasonable price inc transponder. Would that fit straight in regarding hardware? or do I need to purchase other hardware items?
Please help.

Thanks for the info. Regarding hardware, do i need extra fuses, relays or ecunits?

p.s I have found an a3 07reg satnav at a reasonable price inc transponder. Would that fit straight in regarding hardware? or do I need to purchase other hardware items?
Please help.

07 A3 unit will have rounded corners at top so not a good fit go for an a4 unit (square facia) no extra fuses ect needed

iv been thinking of doing the same aswell,think it would look nice fitting the sat nav unit,found this on ebay and it seems spot on for the price,they also do fitting aswell but they mite not want to get involved with fiddling about fitting it into a s3,but they could prob advise how to go about fitting it!:icon_thumright:

will fit ok with some trimming of unit facia and something to fill the gap at top which is about 3-4 mm do you have double din already?

Really want to keep the S3 start up screen but when RNS is coded for A3
mp3 info doesn't display on DIS and ignition doesn't power the RNS on and off. Will have to experimant with the coding.
screen.jpg

Hi All,

Sorry to jump in but does anyone know if the new shark fin ariels of the 8p model cars is also a GPS Antenna.

And how easy it would be to fit to an 8l model with a bee sting GPS antenna ariel. Many thanks:thumbsup:

Mine has a double din. The seller now informs me the unit is out of an 08reg a3, it needs decoding. How much would that cost?
I have also been chatting with a chap that had the same unit fitted into his s3 8l and said he filled the gap with a shiny rubber strip and the rounded corners realy were not that visible.
What are your thoughts, should I buy it and how much should I be looking at paying?
Thanks

Mine has a double din. The seller now informs me the unit is out of an 08reg a3, it needs decoding. How much would that cost?
I have also been chatting with a chap that had the same unit fitted into his s3 8l and said he filled the gap with a shiny rubber strip and the rounded corners realy were not that visible.
What are your thoughts, should I buy it and how much should I be looking at paying?
Thanks

I would rather go for the A4 with square facia as your fitting it in a square double din opening and can only give a better fit and finish in my opinion,
can't help with the decoding sorry.

Thanks Bobt. Depending on the cost of decoding I may buy this unit due to the asking price. I must say your fitment looks spot on.
Does any one know where I could get quotes for decoding?