1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice
  1. Dusty Des

Dusty Des 300bhp tfsi

2017 A5 b9
    Now we cant get Google maps is there a way around this, tried web but nothing.
    I can get android auto but in google dash just shows compass.

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. Buck

Buck Registered User

Why can’t you get google maps?

4. Dusty Des

Dusty Des 300bhp tfsi

It stopped working the other day so I contacted Audi and they replied that google is no longer supported. Ive read its something to do with harware in car no longer supports changes by google?

5. Buck

Buck Registered User

Oh right. Mine is still working so not sure how long for ?!

6. Buck

Buck Registered User

Apparently it stops 31/12/20.
    That’s a real shame. I do like google maps.

7. Dusty Des

Dusty Des 300bhp tfsi

Mine probably ran out eary as I only had 3month trial from audi I guess yours go until end of subscription. Will look into mirroring.
    As I said google maps with android connect but not on dash screen.
    It was an overlay so the android should be better bjt I do like the dash screen.

8. DaveM

DaveM Registered User

Do you mean the Google Earth overlay on the Audi MFD or playing Google maps thru Apple CarPlay?

9. S32B

S32B Registered User

Away from Google maps!

I had 3 month trial in 2017 when I bought the car, just contact them and they renew it for you free of charge. I did it a few weeks back as my car is 3 years old this month...renewed until 2022 now :)

Get all this still:

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
  10. Dusty Des

Dusty Des 300bhp tfsi

Overlay, dont have apple play, andoid works but not on dash.

11. Dusty Des

Dusty Des 300bhp tfsi

Google have changed how it works so will need new hardware that we dont have. Will stop working
    Google have changed how it works so hardware wont support it as of 31,12,20

12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. S32B

S32B Registered User

To be honest the only things I use on the list above are the alarm notification, vehicle status (in work sometimes I can't recall locking the car so that's handy to look and check), and text message whilst driving.

14. Dusty Des

Dusty Des 300bhp tfsi

Wanted for location and unlocking, thought might be handy if locked out

15. L_G

L_G Registered User

There is a thread on the A3 forum suggesting the possibility of a software fix for this.

Having originally thought the overlay was rather 'fussy' on the occasions that it hasn't been available the standard maps do now look rather dull.

16. S32B

S32B Registered User

You can still do that without Google earth.

17. b0k

b0k Registered User

I was told by Audi digital services this week that some cars can get a software update for this Google nav issue (some Audi/Google contract change at end Dec 2020). They checked and said my A5 September 2017 can get it. It's in to dealer tomorrow for a service and I asked for the nav update, but dealer hasn't confirmed they have it in spite of me calling twice...

18. Dusty Des

Dusty Des 300bhp tfsi

Thanks mine should be ok then if we can get it.
    Keep us updated please.

19. b0k

b0k Registered User

Had my service yesterday. It took me several attempts and phone calls on the day to ensure the request was clear with dealer. Initially when I checked, they said no update required as maps were already up to date.

You need to be clear this is update is to continue to have satellite maps after Audi / Google satellite navigation contract ends at the end of December 2020.

Once this was made clear to the technicians doing the service they found the update no problem.

So, I no longer have Google Satellite map, it is now called Satellite Map in MMI map settings (but still called Google on Virtual Cockpit map settings for some reason although new map is there too). I'm not sure who is providing this service yet, but all working well so far.

The map is very similar to Google, but seems a bit darker and roads a bit thicker. I prefer the Google version, but really not much in it. One improvement is that some roads which were red are now green, so should be easier to see traffic issues.

I think as dealers become more aware of issue getting it done will be simple (if car is capable of update) .

Hope this helps

20. b0k

b0k Registered User

Had another look at MMI today. It still says Google in bottom right corner, so assume it's still be getting maps from Google.

Not sure what has changed, but map is very slightly different so I am sure update was applied. Perhaps Audi are still using Google maps but in a different underlying format which needed Audi software update... Does anyone know?

Will be interesting to see what happens on 1/1/2021.

21. IBaudiSport

IBaudiSport Registered User

Confused now....by Google maps, do you mean the satellite mapping or just the standard sat nav? Or can we get Google non-satellite mapping?