Sat Nav upload issues

Julien Guillaume

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have a 2009 A6 with MMi 2G High. The car is equipped with the pre requisites for Sat Nav. Just purchased the 2013 MMI Navigation DVD from Audi. After inserting the DVD in the player, and following the first prompt to initiate upgrade, I get the following error message "No update device found" and no option to carry on.

Anyone has any idea what the issue could be?

Cheers
J-

As you said you initiated the upgrade yourself are you sure you have 2G? I think you have 3G

2G system automatically update when the disk is inserted into the nav unit in the boot.

2009 A6, where did you put the disk? is the DVD nav in the boot or in the glovebox?

So you have 3G, next question is it DVD based or hard disk based, did you have to remove a DVD to insert the new 2013 DVD? Does it have a little joystick on top of the MMI control knob?

Either way your not going to update the system from the new disk.

1. If your car is DVD based nav then you can only update the nav system upto 2010, after that it requires an authentication key that should have come with the DVD and a trip to the dealer to install it. When inserting the disk the system would have recognised he new map disk and started the upgrade, but it would fail on authentication.

2. If your car is HDD based with the small joystick on top of the MMI control knob then you cannot upgrade the system at all from the DVD, it is done with an SD card and again needs to be done at the dealerships with an authentication key.

thanks s8craig

I'm confused. I bought the DVD from my local Audi dealer who came into my car to find which version of DVD I needed... He told me I could do it on my own...

It's definitely DVD based (no HDD in car and no joystick).

When I insert the disk, MMI automatically identifies it and asks permission to initiate upgrade. After clicking "yes" the system seems to perform a search for material on the DVD for a minute, it then gives the error message.

I guess I'll have to go back to the dealer and ask for an explanation...

Cheers

OK, so the system initiated the upgrade and you answered the prompts, but as I said, you should have an activation code with the supplied disk to make it work and it should be carried out by the dealership.

From 2011 activation by SVM and activation code is required on Audi navigation systems with MOST (fiber optic).

Cool. many thanks for taking time to answer my questions s8craig... I sincerely appreciate.
I'll post something to let you know once I have seen the dealership after my hols now in a few weeks time :)

S8craig, you sound like you know what you're talking about. Wonder if you could help me with my 2011 a4.

The laser on our MMI system (no little joystick on top of knob) has broken and doesn't come under warranty (long story), the sat nav disc doesn't work as it scracthes but audi have given us the new 2013 disc out of courtesy. I pressed them to get one off them so that i could put the data onto a SD card.
What I'm getting at, is how do i do this? I believed I could just use my laptop but it doesn't work. It's a 32gb card, so there should be no problem but once copied, nothing happens when i put it into the reader on the dashboard.

Hope that makes sense, any ideas?

It is done through the MMI system, basically insert the DVD and SD cards and using the MMI menu you can copy the maps to SD cards.

I heard on a forum that someone had done this on a PC, but as I don't own an A4 with DVD based navigation I've never done it or tried it on a PC, I've done it 2 times through the menu.

I have some broken units with working DVD drives, maybe we can swap one out.

I need to get around that activation problem as the laser on our unit just scratches everything, cd or dvd. The laptop is the only option as i don't fancy putting in a brand new sat nav dvd to get to the sd card copy option as i think it'll just scratch.

I've seen it mentioned on other forums but there's never a full explanation of how to do it. Very frustrating.

Gupsterg - I've done a google search of that and it's blowing my mind. The broken english doesn't help.

I think Gupstergs post was regarding getting a 2012/13 disk working in the A6 above without dealership activation, I've read the posts, but I would not like to try and do that and brick a £2000 unit from an internet download.

You fault is due to the fact that you can't copy to SD without a working laser and the PC to SD card method doesn't seem to work, and as I said I have a couple of units here we could swap with your broken laser to fix your issue.

If you fix your laser and insert the new disk that you got from Audi you should be good to go as long as it's not newer than 2011.

Hi Binky_beach,

I posted the info about activation hack for info purposes only, I believe there will be a point where so many have used the hack that it will go wild on say ebay or something.

I've also seen some posts appear on other forums but due to hack being copyright infringement the posts are deleted so info is scarce by UK users. If I had your car I'd be doing what S8craig is advising as failure from activation does not sound good at all.

The poster who's used the 2013 map pack has done lots of retro fits to his car ie MMI 2G to 3G conversion and lot's of other bits. He also has spare MMI hardware and plenty of diags tool besides VCDS to do some work at home.

Hi S8Craig,

2010 2011 2012 activation is done by via a SD card file transfer from what I read (viewing meta txt), I have not used as have MMI 2G nor do I know anyone who's used it in real life, I've read the posts by others :blush:.

The poster relating to 2013 I'm planning to meet, we've bumped into each other on another forum and has offered to do a flash to a ins.cluster for me, when this meet happens I don't know as we both can be busy.

Last edited: