1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Sat Nav SD Card: Is it transferable from car to car?

daytonamart May 17, 2017

1. daytonamart

daytonamart Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Hi All,

Can you take the SD card from an A3 8v with nav on and just put into an A3 that hasn't got nav?

Will it work or does it need "unlocking"?

Cheers in advance,

Mart.

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. RichardT

RichardT Registered User

Don't think so. I think it is locked to the car.

4. Chris43

Chris43 Registered User

I think you have 2 issues.

Does the recipient car have the software in the head unit and the necessary antenna? Without these the SD card is no use.
    Secondly as written above I believe the SD card content is coded with the vehicle VIN number meaning it will only work with the car it was supplied with.

Philip Davies likes this.
  5. RichardT

RichardT Registered User

The poster said it was an 8v and I think all the infrastructure is there for the sat nav on all models.

6. daytonamart

daytonamart Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Fair play chaps,

Thanks for the quick response, I was pretty sure it was locked to the car and so it seems.

Thanks again,

Mart.

Rob2k68 likes this.
  7. Ormesome

Ormesome Registered User

Yep. Maps are locked and not transferable. All ebay SD cards are a con. no point in buying them. The other issue is that you need the Sat Nav function "unlocked" from Audi. This has nothing to do with adding extra things like antenas etc.... Its software based, all 8V's come prepared for Sat Nav but not all are activated due to the option not being ticked when buying new. Your looking at £500 from Audi for Maps & also system activated. Or £400 from Audi Retrofits, Also @DJAlix mentioned he can do Sat Nav activation now too...

daytonamart likes this.
  8. traindweller

traindweller Registered User

Just checked with a 2017 A1 card into my 2016 A3 and vice versa and neither would work so definitely coded to the car.