Sat nav plus system not working please help.

daveturbo

Reaction score
I bought a 58 plate audi s3 last night with 13,000 miles. The system will not connect using the bluetooth, also when trying to load a SD card this does not work. I tried to load a cd in the slot last night and again this does not seem to work, (there is a disk spinning around in the system) and on the flip down display it says there is a dvd already in there, but for some reason when i click the eject button nothing happens. I would be most gratefull If anyone can shed any light on these problems which i seem to be facing.

Thanks Dave.

Hi Dave, when you say it won't load the SD card, do you mean it's not going into the SD card slot or that it goes in but won't play the tracks? In the 58 plate cars, the RNS-E is the MK1, which will only play non SDHC cards of no more than 2GB in capacity. Also they must be in FAT32 format. The Sat Nav disc is actually locked into the CD drive and IIRC it can only be unlocked using VCDS. Enjoy your new S3! :wub: xx

It goes in tries to read but cant load anything. I thought it could be somthing to do with the lock from factory. But what about the bluetooth? Also it has the ipod docking station and this seems to work fine, thanks for the reply,

Dave.

Not sure why your BT isn't connecting, Dave, sorry :(. Hopefully one of the guys will be able to shed some light on this for you in a bit. :wub: xx

Thanks for the help paullie, the SD card now works :) one prblem fixed

Dave.

Does anyone else know any more advice for me?

Dave.

The DVD drive can be unlocked by a dealer or with vagcom. Are you sure bluetooth is fitted?

Im not too sure how do you mean by fitted, is there something extra that is required for it to work? Is there a way to tell, i mean the screen says telephone not installed, and when i try to pair nothing happens it cant even find the unit on my phone.

Thanks, Dave.

If your phone is not discovering the car when searching you may not have bluetooth fitted

Yeah Dave, as Kite says, you may not have BT fitted. It is not something that is incorporated into the RNS-E unit. It is a separate unit that is connected up to the RNS-E. Did the dealer say that the car came with BT? :wub: xx

you could call Audi CS on 0800699888, give them the reg No. they can tell you what was fitted at the factory

Yeah Dave, as Kite says, you may not have BT fitted. It is not something that is incorporated into the RNS-E unit. It is a separate unit that is connected up to the RNS-E. Did the dealer say that the car came with BT? :wub: xx

Thanks again for the reply, i bought the car private so im not to sure. when i rang the dealership they couldnt tell me the orignal cars spec. If it doesnt have the bluetooth on the system is it hard to install and what would the expense involved be?

Thanks dave x

you could call Audi CS on 0800699888, give them the reg No. they can tell you what was fitted at the factory

Thanks for the number mate, i will give them a call now and see what the spec from factory was.

Dave.

GUTTED, just spoke to them they said the car was not standard with the blue tooth :( i really wanted that to work aswel, is there any way of geting this working without changing the entire unit?

Dave.

Yes it can be added quite easily, either OEM or 3rd party.

Ah that's good then, I would rather keep it all OEM working through the original unit, ad make it all work properly, can you give me any more information on this please. Thanks, dave

Ah that's good then, I would rather keep it all OEM working through the original unit, ad make it all work properly, can you give me any more information on this please. Thanks, dave

Bump

Hi Dave, depending on where you live, you may be able to get a member to fit OEM bluetooth for you. NHN (Nigel) fits these OEM BT units as well as lots of other things. Might be worth PM'ing him for a quote.

You need something like this, which comes with all the required looms etc -

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

:wub: xx

Ok, thanks again I will look into it more this week :)

Dave

Hi Dave, it looks like the correct BT module for your car. I think N8 is also selling a BT module at the moment. You will also need the correct loom to connect it all up and it will require coding via VCDS. :wub: xx

I have been doing installs of genuine BT for over 7 years, I can say it will not work. If Audi used the same part then it would have the same part number.

I also know as I carry both parts and I put an 8T0 into an A3 by mistake and it didn't work. You need an 8P0 or 8P1 part number.

ok no problem, even if i coded it in on vag com? if not can you help me to get it sorted?

I too have had the same problem, I have an RNS-e in my 2006, but no bluetooth, so looking to buy one now, any info from this thread would be greatly recieved. First thing i checked for was the mic, as that was missing, gutted!!
cheers

I retrofitted a BT module to my RNS E the other day. It was relatively easy to do, hardest part was removing the RNS E unit, easier with two sets of hands as there are four keys needed to remove the unit. Depending on the car the mic would be in the interior light cluster from what I can gather.