Sat Nav options other than OEM, what do you have

Andrew Smith

Reaction score
Seeing what options there are for other satnavs.

Having a hard time justifying the price Audi want for sd card, activation disc and then labour to install/code.

I like the idea of it being integrated, does anyone use any removable options that look good. Or found a neat looking bracket/system that looks well within the car?
Thanks

I think this all depends on how much you use a sat nav. I love my Navman, but use it only occasionally, so am happy just to stick it on the screen when I want it (but I agree it's not elegant)
If I used it a lot, then I would bite the bullet and have the Audi integrated satnav.

Yea this is certainly true! I like the idea of having it but I must confess I'm unlikely to use it lots.

Just the fact of it having the capability and the nav button. I'd rather it wasn't there if not specced, I'm learning this seems to be the Audi way!

I'm sure I saw an options pdf on google which had some removable satnav options as part of an Audi brochure. Anybody know which ones they are? Trying to find the link but struggling. I think the prices were in euros had the roof bars etc listed too

google maps on mobile, linked via bluetooth.
phone in arm rest, pocket, door card, what ever and directions are audible though speakers.

Reactions: GazAitken, Daveotto, Shortyian and 1 other person
£6 Boom!!

AA_GB_Europe_zpsfu8fzbca.png

Reactions: Migwire, Nikon, Shortyian and 2 others
@h5djr has a TomTom with hidden wiring :)
@h5djr now has two TomTom units. The existing XL unit is fitted to the right-hand end of the screen and is always on and includes the PGPSW camera database which gives an audible warning when approaching a camera. I also sometimes use it as a normal Sat/Nav as well

I have also just purchased a TomTom 6100 unit which has lifetime maps, camera database (although not as up-to-date as the PGPSW) and traffic information all free for the lifetime of the unit. It is mounted on a Brodit Pro-Clip in the centre of the dash between the vents and the cable is hidden behind the dashboad trim and plugged in to the 12v socket. This is mainly used for long journeys including across Europe as it can hold the whole map of Europe in one go and give traffic information for all Europe. With the new software used by TomTom it is very easy to use and has excellent search facilities and touch and voice operation. On our long journeys my wife usually acts as 'navigator' so the centre position os more appropriate. I aslo always carry a Michelin Europe atlas and a GB atlas just in case.

Reactions: Andrew Smith and veeeight
@h5djr now has two TomTom units. The existing XL unit is fitted to the right-hand end of the screen and is always on and includes the PGPSW camera database which gives an audible warning when approaching a camera. I also sometimes use it as a normal Sat/Nav as well

I have also just purchased a TomTom 6100 unit which has lifetime maps, camera database (although not as up-to-date as the PGPSW) and traffic information all free for the lifetime of the unit. It is mounted on a Brodit Pro-Clip in the centre of the dash between the vents and the cable is hidden behind the dashboad trim and plugged in to the 12v socket. This is mainly used for long journeys including across Europe as it can hold the whole map of Europe in one go and give traffic information for all Europe. With the new software used by TomTom it is very easy to use and has excellent search facilities and touch and voice operation. On our long journeys my wife usually acts as 'navigator' so the centre position os more appropriate. I aslo always carry a Michelin Europe atlas and a GB atlas just in case.

Can you take some pictures when you get chance? I know the brodit clips usually look pretty good, so interested in this setup

If you have a smart phone, then the best FREE satnav at the moment is Waze, and it includes live traffic updates and auto reroutes. Just download it from your app store.

You don't need to buy a standalone satnav unit these days :racer:

Reactions: daydotz, Migwire, Daveotto and 2 others
If you have a smart phone, then the best FREE satnav at the moment is Waze, and it includes live traffic updates and auto reroutes. Just download it from your app store.

You don't need to buy a standalone satnav unit these days :racer:

Yeah if I was bypassing Audi's sat nav I'd go this route too, Waze is excellent.

Reactions: Daveotto and RAF_S7
Yeah if I was bypassing Audi's sat nav I'd go this route too, Waze is excellent.

I see this a lot but always go for Google maps. What do you find Waze offers that Google maps doesn't?

I have the SD nav but find the G maps traffic far superior in certain situations.

Can you take some pictures when you get chance? I know the brodit clips usually look pretty good, so interested in this setup
Yes I will take and post some pictures. A smartphone system is no good to me as I don't have a smartphone. I do use Google Mpas a lot on my desktop and laptop and I can also now use the TomTom MyDrive Connect system on both which allows me to create a map on my desktop and then click a button to transfer it to the 6100 the next time I switch it on.

I did try the on-board Audi Sat/Nav when I had a test drive in a car fitted with it but I didn't like it so I decided to stick with TomTom.

I use the MMI Navigation Plus a lot. Is it overpriced for what it does, hell yes. Is it's 4G LTE pokey... yes
Did it make any sense for them to remove features like Facebook which they touted so much as a selling point for Audi Connect. No.

Is the MMI Navigation Plus at 7"-inches still pretty small for a nav system compared to the A6, A7, A8 and B9 A4. Yes.
The same size Nav screen is the base screen on the Chevy Camaro 1LT 2-liter turbo.

thanks for the replies.
In terms of the smartphone users. How intensive is it on your mobile data use? I assume if use regularly it'll eat into your data allowance?

Yes I will take and post some pictures. A smartphone system is no good to me as I don't have a smartphone. I do use Google Mpas a lot on my desktop and laptop and I can also now use the TomTom MyDrive Connect system on both which allows me to create a map on my desktop and then click a button to transfer it to the 6100 the next time I switch it on.

I did try the on-board Audi Sat/Nav when I had a test drive in a car fitted with it but I didn't like it so I decided to stick with TomTom.

Thanks

I thought the apps downloaded the maps when installed - like a standalone sat nav has the maps.
I tried doing this (can't remember which app) but I only have a low end phone and it told me I didn't have sufficient memory.

thanks for the replies.
In terms of the smartphone users. How intensive is it on your mobile data use? I assume if use regularly it'll eat into your data allowance?
My TomTom 6100 has it's own sim card always on connection that down loads the traffic information and all the costs are included in the initial purchase price of £299.99 from TomTom and £249.99 if purchased through Amazon.

My TomTom 6100 has it's own sim card always on connection that down loads the traffic information and all the costs are included in the initial purchase price of £299.99 from TomTom and £249.99 if purchased through Amazon.
Ahh - that's interesting. I would expect that for just routing functions you would not need internet connection. Although onboard maps do use quite a lot of memory.

Isn't SD navigation standard on A3s now?

Personally I think it's quite good and I dislike having a second sat nav screen stuck on the windscreen - I much prefer everything (radio, music, settings and navigation) all being on one built-in screen. It also means the "Nav" button on the centre console actually does something. Bit like in-app purchases, nothing puts me off more than hitting a button only to be shown "you don't have this feature".

I've got the bog standard SD nav and it can be pretty good. It's often redirected me due to heavy traffic which has genuinely saved me a lot of time. But it's also a bit dumb. Ideally you should spend the time inputting the exact address rather than just the post code, otherwise it'll take you somewhere near the destination. Several times it was nowhere near the destination - and when going somewhere completely new, or somewhere rural...at night...can be a little stressful driving down blacked out single lane country roads wondering where the hell you are.

So as a backup when going somewhere new I'll always bust out Google Maps which is the most accurate GPS/Maps I've ever seen.

It'd be nice if there was a phone cradle that fits nicely into the cup holders or that little space behind them.

Reactions: Andrew Smith
I see this a lot but always go for Google maps. What do you find Waze offers that Google maps doesn't?

I have the SD nav but find the G maps traffic far superior in certain situations.

IMO it's one if the easiest nav apps to use. We like to help out fellow Wazers around us by reporting accidents, heavy traffic, hazards, cars stopped on road/shoulder, mobile police cameras etc. with a couple of taps on the screen or hold your hand in front of the screen to do the same with voice commands instead. Not to mention the ability to send an ETA SMS to my wife so she can follow my journey home and have the dinner on the table when I rock up into the driveway ;-)

Personally I think it's quite good and I dislike having a second sat nav screen stuck on the windscreen - I much prefer everything (radio, music, settings and navigation) all being on one built-in screen. It also means the "Nav" button on the centre console actually does something. Bit like in-app purchases, nothing puts me off more than hitting a button only to be shown "you don't have this feature".

I've got the bog standard SD nav and it can be pretty good. It's often redirected me due to heavy traffic which has genuinely saved me a lot of time. But it's also a bit dumb. Ideally you should spend the time inputting the exact address rather than just the post code, otherwise it'll take you somewhere near the destination. Several times it was nowhere near the destination - and when going somewhere completely new, or somewhere rural...at night...can be a little stressful driving down blacked out single lane country roads wondering where the hell you are.

So as a backup when going somewhere new I'll always bust out Google Maps which is the most accurate GPS/Maps I've ever seen.

It'd be nice if there was a phone cradle that fits nicely into the cup holders or that little space behind them.

Does really your standard sd nav redirect you on heavy traffic situations? Many times when i drive on the m62 doesnt do for me and everyday is caos there in Manchester... do you need to activate anything special in order the gps to redirect you?

Many thanks

I believe it is on the new ones unfortunately I'm the new owner of a 63 plate without this specced. Otherwise the spec is bang on.
I'm with you, I'm not overly keen on the idea of two screens and a button that does nothing, but just not convinced I should be spending £500-600 to enable it.
But appreciate the review above.I had an oem Honda Civic type r unit previous and this did what I needed it too, I assume the Audi system will be more comprehensive/better thought out than that one. Not to mention 4 years more recent!

Further to my earlier post,here are a couple of pictures if my Brodit mount and the TomTom 6100 located on it. The 6100 has it's own SIM card for communication with TomTom for traffic and for routes etc being sent from the desktop to the 6100. The other models in the range require a connection via a smartphone with a data connection. The mount etc may well not be everyone's cup of tea but I like it and that's all that really matters. I looking forward to using it in a couple of weeks for my trip to Germany and Holland.

Brodit mount

TT 6100

Reactions: daydotz, Ignition1 and Andrew Smith
Does really your standard sd nav redirect you on heavy traffic situations? Many times when i drive on the m62 doesnt do for me and everyday is caos there in Manchester... do you need to activate anything special in order the gps to redirect you?

Many thanks

It's in the Nav Settings somewhere - sorry I'm not 100% sure where but there was something in there about "dynamic traffic avoidance". I think there are radio-submitted traffic update services which it picks up on and if it can find a better route then it'll re-direct you..."the route has been adjusted due to the current traffic conditions" is what it will say. Once you set a route you can also look at the traffic updates along your route. To be honest Audi don't hype up the SD Nav enough as it's got some decent features built-in.

The radio updates are nowhere near as accurate as Google Maps, and sometimes I'm worried they're out of date - so it's sending me on a detour even though the traffic has cleared. But there was one occasion driving with my mate in the car behind on our way to Hove - stuck on the M25 - my SD Nav re-routed me via Heathrow while his TomTom told him to stay on the M25. I eventually got to Hove almost 1 and a half hours ahead of him. So it does work.

I believe it is on the new ones unfortunately I'm the new owner of a 63 plate without this specced. Otherwise the spec is bang on.
I'm with you, I'm not overly keen on the idea of two screens and a button that does nothing, but just not convinced I should be spending £500-600 to enable it.
But appreciate the review above.I had an oem Honda Civic type r unit previous and this did what I needed it too, I assume the Audi system will be more comprehensive/better thought out than that one. Not to mention 4 years more recent!

£600 is a LOT of money for a Sat Nav. But it depends how long you're intending to keep the car for as well and how you plan to sell it.

Personally if it was 3 years+ and I was planning to sell it privately...then I think £600 is worth it. Considering it's standard now on the A3, in 3 or 4 years time I'd expect future 2nd hand car buyers would expect it. Might help make it easier to sell.

You could go dodgy and find a mechanic somewhere to enable it, but you'll still need to buy the SD Nav card (http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...udi+SD+Nav.TRS0&_nkw=audi+sat+nav+sd&_sacat=0)

Update guys which you may find handy.

Did some digging and the best price I could get it down to in my local area was £576 I tried three Audi dealerships.

Crewe Audi although a 3 hour drive for me have it advertised on their eBay shop for £440, they currently have a special offer on and have the license packs provided by Audi for free which wipes off £300 rrp. Little bit of haggling and managed to get it for £380 all in, yes it's still not cheap for a satnav but personally I'm happy enough to pay that.

Update guys which you may find handy.

Did some digging and the best price I could get it down to in my local area was £576 I tried three Audi dealerships.

Crewe Audi although a 3 hour drive for me have it advertised on their eBay shop for £440, they currently have a special offer on and have the license packs provided by Audi for free which wipes off £300 rrp. Little bit of haggling and managed to get it for £380 all in, yes it's still not cheap for a satnav but personally I'm happy enough to pay that.

Well worth it then. Might as well make a day of it in Crewe as well. And since you'll have a sat nav you'll know where to go as well :)

Sounds like a good result, and you don't have a bracket or rings on the screen which is often a signal to thieves that there might be a sat nav under the seat or in the glove box.

It's in the Nav Settings somewhere - sorry I'm not 100% sure where but there was something in there about "dynamic traffic avoidance". I think there are radio-submitted traffic update services which it picks up on and if it can find a better route then it'll re-direct you..."the route has been adjusted due to the current traffic conditions" is what it will say. Once you set a route you can also look at the traffic updates along your route. To be honest Audi don't hype up the SD Nav enough as it's got some decent features built-in.

The radio updates are nowhere near as accurate as Google Maps, and sometimes I'm worried they're out of date - so it's sending me on a detour even though the traffic has cleared. But there was one occasion driving with my mate in the car behind on our way to Hove - stuck on the M25 - my SD Nav re-routed me via Heathrow while his TomTom told him to stay on the M25. I eventually got to Hove almost 1 and a half hours ahead of him. So it does work.

£600 is a LOT of money for a Sat Nav. But it depends how long you're intending to keep the car for as well and how you plan to sell it.

Personally if it was 3 years+ and I was planning to sell it privately...then I think £600 is worth it. Considering it's standard now on the A3, in 3 or 4 years time I'd expect future 2nd hand car buyers would expect it. Might help make it easier to sell.

You could go dodgy and find a mechanic somewhere to enable it, but you'll still need to buy the SD Nav card (http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...udi+SD+Nav.TRS0&_nkw=audi+sat+nav+sd&_sacat=0)
Is there any particular radio station that needs to be set up as a traffic info in order to give information on all the GPS sd card traffic? I think i heard in the past that you need to choice the radio channel provider for the traffic. I have activated Traffic avoidance on my gps.. i believe that is everything i need to do..

Is there any particular radio station that needs to be set up as a traffic info in order to give information on all the GPS sd card traffic? I think i heard in the past that you need to choice the radio channel provider for the traffic. I have activated Traffic avoidance on my gps.. i believe that is everything i need to do..

Nope - I didn't configure anything, not sure if you can with the standard SD Nav system.

But if you've activated Traffic Avoidance then that should be all you need to do. Let us know how it gets on.

Going slightly off topic BUT I wouldn't pay extra for any sort of sat nav:

I used one in Cornwall last year, it took us down the tightest road I have ever been on! Bushes were touching the wing mirrors each side, it then told us to turn left...the left it wanted us to turn down was at a 7 o'clock position to the road that we were on and was just as tight, there was no way on earth I could have turned down it, there wasn't enough room to make a 3 point turn to to even face the road it wanted us to go on :D After that we used the good old paper map :)

Cornwall was just narrow roads, high bushes and ignorant drivers that don't slow down when they see you coming and don't acknowledge you when you wait for them...I'm amazed that I never lost a wing mirror...or worse! The scariest moment was when a tractor and trailer came blasting towards us. I stopped and started to reverse to a passing place, my wife said "He's not slowing down at all" I looked and he was still blasting towards us!!! I had to put my foot down as if I was about to do a J turn :D as we reached the passing place he was still at the speed he was doing when he first saw us! his trailer missed the side of my car by inches :wtf:I've been on narrow roads around the highlands of Scotland, but at least you can see fantastic views and not just bushes, plus the people are amazing...back up there in June ;)