Sat Nav no satellites - Common?

sukrw

Reaction score
Hi,

Driving home last night my satnav hadn't got a scooby where I was - showed me driving over fields 10 miles from where I was. Checked the satellite count and it was at 0. Wasn't following any route/directions - just had the map on the display.

Is this common? Driving into work this morning - all was fine and a satellite count of 10! Again, not following any route/directions - just had the map on the display.

Thanks

It can happen with any SAT NAV. Depends where you are. Had it a few times as far back as 09/10/11 with various cars and Nav's. Just keep an eye on it. If it does it more and more then you may have an issue. But once in a blue moon is normal.

Reactions: Simon L
Had the same,happened a few times then suddenly said we were in the thames.Had to have the roof antenna changed in the end.

Had the same,happened a few times then suddenly said we were in the thames.Had to have the roof antenna changed in the end.

Ah Thanks,

I will keep an eye on it and if it keeps going nuts I will report it back to Audi and see if I can get a new antenna put int

Thanks

Just checking that you didn't have any phone chargers or anything plugged in on your drive back last night that you didn't have plugged in when you drove in earlier? We've had a few people on here who have lost DAB radio reception and had noisy FM when they were using cheap chargers that were producing wideband RF noise. This could potentially also knock out satellite signals.

Just checking that you didn't have any phone chargers or anything plugged in on your drive back last night that you didn't have plugged in when you drove in earlier? We've had a few people on here who have lost DAB radio reception and had noisy FM when they were using cheap chargers that were producing wideband RF noise. This could potentially also knock out satellite signals.

Thank you for the advice and a good call. No there was nothing connected that wasn't before but good idea.
It was fine again today on the drive in and home.

I will keep an eye on it and see how it goes I guess

Thanks

Sounds like a software bug. To achieve sync on a satellite it's got to download all the sys info - usually if no satellite lock can be achieved its either complete blackout and sys info is not available- only really happens when under the ground or in shielded chamber. Only other time is catastrophic software failure, pretty rare..

Has this and replace antenna and software update fixed under warranty. Never been in the middle of a field since!

My e-tron has this problem; sometimes being in a field, sometimes thinking it had gone back home to Ingolstadt!!
It's currently in Brighton Audi, where a faulty aerial has been diagnosed and a replacement is being fitted (after painting). I should have it back tomorrow!

The good news is that it does now seem to be working; the e-tron app can now locate the car, and it's pretty accurate...it's showing as being parked in their workshop...

They could have locked it though!!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    868.5 KB · Views: 492