Sat nav module, where is it ?

john Mitchell

Reaction score
Hi People,

This is my first post so apologies if its in the wrong section.

My car is a 2012 c7 A6 saloon.

The Sat nav has decided to stop working, I believe its the antenna as no satalite signal is being received.

Audi want nearly £500 to sort but my local radio relay want approx £50 but I need to know where the sat nav module is to take new antenna, saves them looking for it and charging the hourly rate.

Any help on where the module is or how to fix problem myself would be great

Thanks in advance

It's the module in the dash that says Audi Multimedia. You need to remove the air controls to get at the bolts holding the unit in. Also the GPS antenna is part of the sharkfin on the roof, it's that which has failed (common fault) the seals in the unit fails and water gets into it, however I don't know if water could then get into the car over time, due to the failed seals. I think the cost is down to Audi having to get the new fin pained to the colour of the car and the fin is expensive.

The £50 fix is just to put a hokey put style antenna on or under the dash. Personally I would look to get someone confirm it's the antenna is dead, then get a new one painted and fit yourself it's a very easy just to replace. Anyone with VCDS can confirm if the antenna is dead.

Thanks for the reply and advice B5NUT appreciate it.

I will get it tested but tbh looking at all the advice online seems to be an antenna, i would prefer to get it done from audi but begrudge the £500 they want
£108 part
£60 paint fin
3hrs labour @ £95 plus vat per hr.

£50 sound better if it get the sat nav working

tent peg / folder up wire coat hanger..... firm tug and the bottom edge to rotate he bottom out and then there's a weird push-pull, to and fro'ing and then the lower section moves out.... 8mm socket and the sat-nav comes out.

Hi, I have the same issue with my nav not showing my location. I have read this thread and therefore bought a Hockey puck style gps. I’ve got the mmi 3G+ with pro nav, I am right in saying that I don’t require a cd or sd card for the maps to work?

I have just removed the mmi, but not sure which connector is for the nav? I’ve got blue or pink that are already connected?

Thanks for any help!