Sat Nav maps update?

Matt2010

Reaction score
In myAudi account, I can download updated maps to an SD card and update myself.
Has anyone done this and how long did it take as the file is over 20GB!

Best to speak to @HNH, site sponsor.
Tech wizz he is

Sent from H P20 PRO

mine did the update over the air yesterday, didn't take long and continues in the background, started it this morning and told me it was done.

Reactions: sve170
What I mean is, I can just put the SD card (from the My Audi download) and it should do it automatically.
With it being a massive file tho, is it going to take a couple of hours so battery charger needed?

You can download the latest map updates here and then install them in your vehicle using an SD card. You can download and install updates as many times as you like. The maps are generally updated every six months.

During the installation of a new map update, the map package currently installed in your vehicle’s MMI will be overwritten. The MMI will also show which version is currently installed.

You can also have the map update completed by your Audi partner ( costs may be incurred for this service).

installation instructions

1. Download the installation software for your laptop or desktop computer.
  2. Use the installation software to download the map update you have selected to an SD card (miniSD and microSD cards cannot be read).
  3. Install the SD card in your vehicle’s MMI in Menu -> Setup MMI -> System Update. Then select your memory card.

I had mines done some time ago and the car was plugged into the charger.

It did took few hours to complete

Sent from H P20 PRO

Reactions: Matt2010
I did mine via SD card, takes about 15 mins

Reactions: Matt2010
I did mine the same as Zippster. Did the download online in the car and everything still works on the run. The install then finalises once the car is parked/turned off. Took about 30 mins to download.

How do you do it via download online in the car?

Did mine online with phone connected over BT.
Set it up in connection manager, then go to Maps > Update and it should use your mobile 4G connection.
Only did the UK as it is a pretty hefty download.
Now got issues with Google Maps view on the Virtual Cockpit so its going into Audi 1st July (hopefully sneak in a MMI update whilst there - they quoted me £90 to update it to the latest version!!)

Did mine online with phone connected over BT.
Set it up in connection manager, then go to Maps > Update and it should use your mobile 4G connection.
Only did the UK as it is a pretty hefty download.
Now got issues with Google Maps view on the Virtual Cockpit so its going into Audi 1st July (hopefully sneak in a MMI update whilst there - they quoted me £90 to update it to the latest version!!)

There was talk that very soon the license for the Google Satellite will be running out and won’t be renewed, be careful you don’t update yourself out of it altogether.

I’ve no idea what one it was, it was not via a SD card. It came up on my MMI screen I was driving and I accepted not really thinking

Tried to update mine yesterday on a long drive back from Oxford. I'm glad that it ended up failing half way through after reading your thread @billymc92! Hopefully you get it sorted mate... the standard maps looks rubbish!

As a test, I downloaded the Great Britain, Ireland and Iceland map update from 'My Audi' to USB. Loaded onto MMI and Google Earth still shows as an option.
Perhaps it is only affecting' Over The Air' updates.

Updated mines last week and it was fine, you sometimes need to reselect google maps in the Audi connect menu, google maps shouldn't be effected by the navigation upgrade as its a real time overlay that's down loaded from the Audi Google servers that's why it takes time to activate when you start the car as its downloading the overlay actively

Updated mines last week and it was fine, you sometimes need to reselect google maps in the Audi connect menu, google maps shouldn't be effected by the navigation upgrade as its a real time overlay that's down loaded from the Audi Google servers that's why it takes time to activate when you start the car as its downloading the overlay actively

That option has been removed

mine did the update over the air yesterday, didn't take long and continues in the background, started it this morning and told me it was done.
Mine did that yesterday as well. Was surprised as didnt think it had data

Maybe they push updates

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Reactions: zippster

Doing the update in the car is the easiest way possible.
Have done it a few times with no hassle at all, not sure why anyone would update on a PC, transfer to SD card then upload to car?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What I mean is, I can just put the SD card (from the My Audi download) and it should do it automatically.
With it being a massive file tho, is it going to take a couple of hours so battery charger needed?

You can download the latest map updates here and then install them in your vehicle using an SD card. You can download and install updates as many times as you like. The maps are generally updated every six months.

During the installation of a new map update, the map package currently installed in your vehicle’s MMI will be overwritten. The MMI will also show which version is currently installed.

You can also have the map update completed by your Audi partner ( costs may be incurred for this service).

installation instructions

1. Download the installation software for your laptop or desktop computer.
  2. Use the installation software to download the map update you have selected to an SD card (miniSD and microSD cards cannot be read).
  3. Install the SD card in your vehicle’s MMI in Menu -> Setup MMI -> System Update. Then select your memory card.

Why, update in the car........easy

How do you do it via download online in the car?

Go into the MMI menus, scroll through the menus and you will eventually find one with Google Maps, highlight it and you should get a ‘drop-down’ menu. Look for the ‘Update Google Maps’.
Click on the ‘Update Google Maps’ and it should start downloading the update.
I have in the past started the update and then locked the car and walked away. Next morning it’s all updated and good to go.

Doing the update in the car is the easiest way possible.
Have done it a few times with no hassle at all, not sure why anyone would update on a PC, transfer to SD card then upload to car?

Yes agree, the easiest way to update is to use the Audi online method (OTA). However, this will only allow the option to download e.g. United Kingdom (England South) or United Kingdom (England North). If you want the Full Europe Map or Great Britain/Iceland/Ireland then a PC will be needed to download from myAudi to SD card/USB.

Last edited: