Sat Nav Map updates

Duck C7 allroad

Reaction score
I recently bought a 2012 A4 AVANT (B8) and for the first time in my driving career, I entered the heady world of integrated Sat Nav systems.

I looked for a destination which was part of a 7/8 year old housing development in Hampshire and it wasn't on my MMI.

This makes me believe that the map hasn't had any updates since it came out of the factory.

I have SatNav system plus, running on an MMI High system.

Does anyone have any advice on updating the maps? Is it CD based or do I have to go to a dealer?

You can go to a stealer....

Or there are a few sites that will instruct you on how to update it by downloading some files from webpages.

Or you can search on eBay for the updates you want, but the method will depend on the system you have.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/173640901114

Just a link to get you started, it contains information in the description that will be of use. I'M NOT SAYING BUY THIS.

Reactions: Duck C7 allroad
Thank you for that, it's good to now that they're out there however kind of wierd that the latest one is still 18 months old.

I had to whip out my old Tom Tom to get to where I needed the other day as they provide consistent updates.

Looks like that first link you posted still has the latest version. Might have to investigate that route... For information purposes of course...

I think there is a 2018/2019 version now. I got the apparent 2018 version about 4 months before the latest one come out and was disappointed that a bridge that had been open since August 2017 almost a year was still not in 2018 map.

I over exaggerated the 18months bit... It's my OCD getting to me that it's another £50 to update again.

I'm working away from home right now and will not be back till next week. I'll let you know the version I have when I get home so you can at least see if the "2018/19" map is indeed a new version.

If you do get it, let me know if the new bridge is open.

Last edited:
Its worth doing, I updated mine to the 2018 maps last year and found that unless you pay the dealer prices you will always be a year or so behind the latest maps available. It was pretty straight forward to do, follow the instructions to the letter. The only issue I found was ensuring that the battery charger will maintain enough voltage, some trickle charge as the update can take several hours and you don't want the update to be interrupted.

I'm working away from home right now and will not be back till next week. I'll let you know the version I have when I get home so you can at least see if the "2018/19" map is indeed a new version.

If you do get it, let me know if the new bridge is open.

Okay cool, I will hold off until you find out what version you have. Might have to do a bit more research if so. But I will definitely let you know about the new bridge if I go ahead with it!

Its worth doing, I updated mine to the 2018 maps last year and found that unless you pay the dealer prices you will always be a year or so behind the latest maps available. It was pretty straight forward to do, follow the instructions to the letter. The only issue I found was ensuring that the battery charger will maintain enough voltage, some trickle charge as the update can take several hours and you don't want the update to be interrupted.

Wow, I had no idea it would take that long to update... Do you mean with an SD card? Would it be prudent to attach a car battery charger for a trickle charge? Dealers probably charge per hour for that.?!

Mine took about an hour, I just run the engine. You burn between 0.5 and 1 litre per hour so £1.20.

I parked the work van behind the Audi and blocked it in and then left it to work away on the driveway.

Reactions: Duck C7 allroad and A4A4
I checked with that eBay provider today and he said 40-60 minutes for the firmware update and between 2.5-3 hours for the maps.
That's a long time to keep the engine running on idle.

How much do dealers charge for update?
I was quoted £280 recently. It's a lot, but I'm nervous about getting things wrong if I try to do it myself. I really need to make a decision soon.

Reactions: V6_Man
It is very easy.

The instructions are spot on. You just follow them. The SD cards I got were numbered. You just use them in order they are numbered.

I was quoted £280 recently. It's a lot, but I'm nervous about getting things wrong if I try to do it myself. I really need to make a decision soon.
£280 is a good price. I would have paid that, but thought it was more like £400 inc VAT.

Jeff, just out of curiosity why would you need to update the maps and firmware. I ask because I have been using Waze for the last 8 months and have stopped using the built-in Nav both in the S4 and A3. Also not sure about the value Firmware is going to add?? However, I'll be more than happy to consider firmware if it adds any value.

This is tricky. I don't mind dealing with the time span to update, however it's awkward when you don't have a driveway and you simply park on the public road, outside your house.

I don't particularly relish the idea of leaving the car running, or sitting in it for a few hours to ensure it's not whipped away from under my nose... tricky.

This is tricky. I don't mind dealing with the time span to update, however it's awkward when you don't have a driveway and you simply park on the public road, outside your house.

I don't particularly relish the idea of leaving the car running, or sitting in it for a few hours to ensure it's not whipped away from under my nose... tricky.
https://www.facebook.com/upgrademyaudinet/

Reactions: Duck C7 allroad
The map updates I don’t think are worth nearly £300 personally, roads aren’t built enough in this country to make it worthwhile. If there is a new route, I can usually use google maps if confusing. Happens less than once a year, if there was a benefit to upgrading the software then perhaps I would consider it.

this is an ongoing source of anger for me. my maps haven't been updated since i got the car in 2011, but i'm not willing to pay £300 for a dvd. if TomTom can give countless free updates on a £120 item, and VW are now offering freee updates, why TF can Audi not support their customers and do similar? ***, i'm not asking for a new map per month, even one free update ever 12/18 months would be good enough.
it's really effing cheap of Audi to take this approach after you spend £30k on one of their vehicles and give them all the service/MOT business too.

Reactions: RS5 JON and A4A4
Yeah that's what I'm talking about. I had to use my Tom Tom to save me because they provide a reasonable solution to the changing road systems. Pretty ridiculous of Audi to expect buyers to spend more money... But then, you could say the same thing about the lack of a light in glove compartments that don't have the ambient lighting pack...

My version

Nav. Database version:
8R0060884FC ECE 6.26.1

Media version:
HN+_EU_AU3G_K0942_3

Hopefully you can tell from this if a new map is an updated one.

Just visited 'upgrademyAudinet' and their latest version is 6.28.2.

Might have to investigate this one online before I commit to someone doing it for me.