Sat nav lost

Jooles

Reaction score
As per title, my sat nav appears to have got lost and doesn't show the current location. It's a 3G+ mmi and seemed to go all weird after I had been looking at traffic hold ups and clicked show on map (sat in a hospital car park bored stiff waiting for my wife to get her Covid jab) from that point its been stuck on the A1 about 30miles away. Hopefully it's a simple fix that one of you nice people can advise me on?

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk

I had that happen on the RNS-E unit in my B7 a few years back. The GPS antenna had died. On that car, a £10 replacement from eBay did the trick.

I had that happen on the RNS-E unit in my B7 a few years back. The GPS antenna had died. On that car, a £10 replacement from eBay did the trick.
After scouring the Internet that seems to be a common problembut you never know, I'll see what its like in the morning. I updated the firmware and maps a few weeks ago I suppose it could be related to that

Cheap GPS antenna from ebay tucked up behind the dash sorted my GPS issues

Cheap GPS antenna from ebay tucked up behind the dash sorted my GPS issues
Did you have the same problem? Can you post a link to the one you bought?

Did you have the same problem? Can you post a link to the one you bought?

Had the same issue a while back.

Just look for a GPS antenna with the the correct blue plug on the end. Shouldn't cost more than a tenner.

Had the same issue a while back.

Just look for a GPS antenna with the the correct blue plug on the end. Shouldn't cost more than a tenner.
Would this one have the correct plug? (Its a 2012 A4 B8.5). I suppose I ought to check for corroded terminals etc on the shark fin aerial first or is the problem.that common that it's easier just to fit the aftermarket one and be done with it?
f1977b3b595bebc2cf8caf3991065792.jpg

That connector is correct. Most of these gps units are magnetic and there is a very convenient metal bar behind the MMI screen to attach it to. Worth just plugging in the new gps module before you try to remove any trim to see if that is the culprit.

That connector is correct. Most of these gps units are magnetic and there is a very convenient metal bar behind the MMI screen to attach it to. Worth just plugging in the new gps module before you try to remove any trim to see if that is the culprit.
I removed the shark fin yesterday afternoon and found water on the little pcb although nothing had leaked through to the inside of the car. I've tried drying it off over night and reconnected the lead but still no joy. Not sure if there's any other way of checking but there are no satellites showing up when I go into Tour and scroll upwards.

Any idea how I would access the 'green' menu?

Green menu needs to be activated. You can use VCDS, VCP and possibly Carista. There is also a script that can be loaded on an SD card.

Green menu needs to be activated. You can use VCDS, VCP and possibly Carista. There is also a script that can be loaded on an SD card.

Thanks for that I'll have a go with the sd card at the weekend

Just a quick update, I've dried the aerial pcb over the last few days and in the meantime bought a £10 unit off Amazon. I fitted that yesterday and all of a sudden the sat nav works and has 7 satellites visible. Tonight I refitted the shark fin and trim panels etc but out of interest I swapped it over with the Amazon one and who'd have thought, it works again but only 5 satellites visible. Anyway I've left the Amazon one connected, hopefully will be ok.

Reactions: jdp1962