Sandwich's BT Stroker Build....

sandwich1987

Reaction score
For along time ive wanted to do some serious work to my car, and in the 2 years ive owned it i dont think more than a couple of weekends have went by when i haven't been doing something to it, as im sure most reading have similar experiences.

Anyway having already went down the hybrid K04 route and enjoying it greatly i wanted to take on something big, which is why ive decided to go down the stroker BT route. Im looking for approx 400-500 Bhp and am almost sure thats going to be with A gt3076r.

Im looking in the close future to purchase a 2.1l bring your own crank kit if IE with 9.5 cr, as i have already sourced a ALH crank for a good price, so atm im waiting to receive that, check it over to make sure it useable and i'll move on from there.

Yesderday morning my donor engine was delivered. Its and agu lump that had approx 70,000 miles on it before it was removed from an accident damaged car...so im told. So myself and my dad lift/dragged the engine from the street to my room, which was a massive effort since my house is well away from the road. Got it in to my room and i began to dismantle it back to the bare block and head. and got to this stage.

Now this will be slow build....ive only got enough money at the moment to pay for the stroker kit and im looking to gain alot of information and knowledge during the long time it will take before this even gets anywhere near my car. I'll try to update with pics and so on when i get parts etc.

Right now im am trying to decide which kind of exhaust manifold to consider getting. ideally i'd like it to be v'banded and as i think i'll be going external gate it will need to have provisions for that. So any information you guys can think of or first hand knowledge you can shre would be greatly appreciated...hopefully this is something that ends of a great build and interesting to read.

Last edited by a moderator:
good luck with everything.
i wish id have taken my engine out or got a spare one to work on. ive spent the day swearing at mine and got absolutely nowhere in about 5 hours.

as for manifold, pagparts do a sweet cast v-band one with v-band wastegate too

Do you mean the one used in their kit?
vband_18t_3.jpg

Even though they appear to have a 'quattro' version the config above won't be much use on a RHD car IMO... a GT3071 is a big turbo too and I just don't think it will be the best choice for an underslung mani...

Have used this one before on a GT3076r
Kinetic 1.8T T3 Turbo Manifold

<tuffty/>

good luck with everything.
i wish id have taken my engine out or got a spare one to work on. ive spent the day swearing at mine and got absolutely nowhere in about 5 hours.

as for manifold, pagparts do a sweet cast v-band one with v-band wastegate too

Ive had that alot recently with my abs, a single frayed wire cost me the best part of 2 weekends 2 second hand abs modules and about 5 litres of brake fluid....

Yeah ive had a look at most of the usual site like cts and apt etc, i dont think ive got any people local to me who are familiar with fabbing the stuff associated with this kind of build im trying to eliminate any issues before they can begin lol

Do you mean the one used in their kit?
vband_18t_3.jpg

Even though they appear to have a 'quattro' version the config above won't be much use on a RHD car IMO... a GT3071 is a big turbo too and I just don't think it will be the best choice for an underslung mani...

Have used this one before on a GT3076r
Kinetic 1.8T T3 Turbo Manifold

<tuffty/>
Yeah ive had a look at that kinetic manifold it looks quite good for the price, how was it fitment wise?
I take aswell that the screamer pipe can just be routed back into the down pipe?
i know its a bit early but one thing i was thinking about it the egt probe, can this be drilled and tapped into the new maniold or would it be better in the Dp?

Yeah ive had a look at that kinetic manifold it looks quite good for the price, how was it fitment wise?
I take aswell that the screamer pipe can just be routed back into the down pipe?
i know its a bit early but one thing i was thinking about it the egt probe, can this be drilled and tapped into the new maniold or would it be better in the Dp?

Have a look at this... and the link I posted in the thread about the TT build Bill did...
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-forum-8l-chassis/181315-t3-manifold-downpipe.html

I would have a read of my thread for some ideas if you haven't already... I have done most of this already and look at Andrew@A.L.D's threads (he has a few) for ideas on the 2.1 build... not the easiest build to do...

...EGT probe... I have mine in the DP... its fine there and can be mapped accordingly so all protection routines are intact... this is what I have done with mine...

<tuffty/>

have a search for Staceys TSR manifold/build thread....

yeah ive been reading up on stacey and andrews build threads, i really like that manifold, looks well made, but will hold off making the decision untill after youve done staceys mapping etc to get a better idea of how it performs.

just a quick question does anyone on here have a crankshaft holding tool i could borrow at some point? been looking at ones from the internet but but they all look like fall to bits!!!

Do any of you guys know if oe fastners for the main caps and headbolts are up to job for my power goals? im sure ive read arp fastners are only really needed for 500hp onwards?

Personally if I were planning to run a larger turbo than my GT3071 I would ARP the crap out of it :)

Watch out on the ARP mains though as you have to mod the sump for clearance and the flywheel end...

<tuffty/>

yeah ive been reading up on stacey and andrews build threads, i really like that manifold, looks well made, but will hold off making the decision untill after youve done staceys mapping etc to get a better idea of how it performs.

just a quick question does anyone on here have a crankshaft holding tool i could borrow at some point? been looking at ones from the internet but but they all look like fall to bits!!!

the manifold has been used on 2ltr stroker, but with 38mm mvs gate (too small) on an hta3071, suffered boost creep but power wise, on my dyno 460bhp/390lbft on my dyno (equivalent torque on an rtech/jkm dyno of 452lbft

Just had my crank delivered there, and the part number stamped on it is 038C, the listing said the complete part number was 038105021E, does tht make this crank unusable then? As its still a 1.9 diesel crank?

Just had my crank delivered there, and the part number stamped on it is 038C, the listing said the complete part number was 038105021E, does tht make this crank unusable then? As its still a 1.9 diesel crank?

If you can wait till the weekend then i'll let you know what it says on mine

Well I did a small bit of digging online both numbers seem to mentioned when talking about a alh crank so I'm thinking it might be a superceded part number or something.

may have hit some major issues already... :( took my block and head into work to get them cleaned, the head in a hot water tank with just detergent in it and the block went into a tank which was described to me as a de-oxygenated water tank that removes rust. After tw days in the tank i removed the block and found it was covered in weird slime, which when rubbed revealed a strange silver/grey coloured substance covering all the bare metal surfaces but leaving the paint untouched.

i assumed this coating was some kind of protection but after trying to clean it off with a pressure washer it looks like it has eaten into the actual block
View attachment 12582View attachment 12584

Because im boring it out and getting it decked do you think it is still useable?

Now for the head after removing it from the hot tank all the bearing surfaces have gone dull and im unsure if it is useable aswell altogether a pretty miserable day, and i cant really do anything with regards to work as it was being done hush hush! heres some pics of the head.
View attachment 12586
Any ideas??

****** hell that does look like that's eaten into it :(

If it was me I'd bin it as although you can mildly machine the deck which may clear it up, and you'll be boring it out any how's but my worry would be bearing cap mounting surfaces as any change to these could really mess the alignment of each bearing to the next on the crank without more machining and personally wouldn't take the risk?

Bad luck mate hope it doesn't knock you off coarse on your project :)

yeah thats what i was thinking just needed someone to write it down in black and white for me...whats your opinion on the head? there was nothing heavy used in the hot tank just detergent and water, there doesnt apperar to be any material removed it just looks like its been dulled down?

Do you know if an aum block is just a stright swap for an agu off hand?

Looking again on the laptop rather than Iphone the bearing end of the block doesnt look as bad as i thought but it is a lot to risk if something isn't quite right?

I'm really not sure about the head and to be honest wouldn't take my advice to seriously as its hard to tell without seeing it in person and im no expert lol :)

I was dreading you saying that andrew but the more i look at it the more i think the head has suffered some sort of surface corrosion.
Gutted doesnt really cover it. Serves me right for trying to cut corners. looks like the stroker crank will have to wait and i'll look for another agu engine...if anyone knows of any goin...lol

At least ive bought nearly everything tool wise to dismantle the engine and head easily lol, silver linings an all that jazz...

Well its been a while since i could add anything to this, but recently i have purchased a new complete block for the bargain price of 20 pounds!! And a new AGU head for around 100.

im also at the moment waiting on my order from IE which i will show once it comes....its being held back because they have no rods instock even tho there website says instock, i emailed suggesting they change that to on back order to give people the option of waiting for them or going elsewhere before they actually process the order but they said that wasnt possible??? i thought it was abit misleading, expecting my order to be ready to ship as everthing said instock but having to wait 3 and a half weeks.....
But i guess im just being impatient. Cant ****** wait!!!

Will update when parts arrive hopefully soon then i can get my block sent off!!

Reactions: Dani_B19
my order finally came!!!!!!!

Bit of an issue tho....placed my trigger wheel onto my alh crank and theres a dowel that i think located the old trigger wheel but my new from IE doesnt have a hole for it?

DSC_0043_zps36474a69.jpg
[/URL][/IMG
Any ideas??

Is that trigger wheel specifically designed for that crank?

Otherwise it would be a universal wheel for the various cranks that are used for strokers.

Remove the dowel, or drill the wheel.

Looks like a std 2.0 trigger wheel. I say grind the locating dowel off and weld the trigger wheel bolts in place.

Its been ages since I've been able to get anything major done to my build, but things seem to be progressing :) Have had my block bored and washed then painted, got that back and then today after collecting my thrust washers of which I only received 1 set when I ordered 2 :< so I just fitted one on each side of bearing cap No3 so I could check my oil squirter clearance, as you all probably know they don't clear off the bat so I had to machine my pistons. after sorting that I fitted all the pistons and gave it a whirl...

All seems ok there is a slight pause when Cyl2 and 3 are at BDC but its still easy to turn and I cant see it touching the squirters, I might space my squirters anyway just make sure its always going to clear.

On another good note ive sent my head to Andrew to work his skills on along with my supertech gear, slightly annoyed as the picture of the valves on the sight when I ordered them was single groove and I have received triple, guess its my own fault for not being more observant. hope it doesn't compromise me to much. Finding it hard to pull the trigger with regard to buying the high cost stuff like the mani/turbo as ive got the money sitting guess im sad to see it go :( lol trying to buy one big thing a month so my wages still top up my savings.

Reactions: s3dave