salt corroded alloys

s3_kev

Stage2'd!!!!!!
Reaction score
i recently posted about this in the s3 section with not to much response so thought id try in here,

this is my first time of owning some polished lipped alloys and today when i was whasing them i noticed that there starting to be eaten by the salt one wheel is quite bad just around the valve area, i wash my car atleast once a week to keep my wheels nice to,
so does anyone have any tips on how to repair the effected area without havig the whole wheel referbed,
and does anyone no of any decent product i can use to help prevent salt attacks in the future,
many thanks kevin

Someone may know otherwise, but I would suspect that the only way to properly repair the salt corrosion is fully refurb the wheel. I suppose you could spot repair the affected area, but I would think trying to match paint finishes again would pretty much make this a no go. DIY wise at least.

I think Poorboys Wheel sealant is largely regarded as one of the best, and very easy to apply. The more coats the better the protection!

I am lucky in that I have RS6 wheels so they are very easy to clean, two minutes per wheel with the wash mitt and the come up like new. Hopefully a good sealant and regular washing will keep them good.

:icon_thumright:

yeah im thinking that there going to be near irraperiable unless i have them referbed, but there is only one that is going around the valve area the others just have very slight marks like they were on there way, think ill just have to jet wash them off evry couple of days and buy some por boys sealent then, cheers

A refurb is almost definitely going to be required to solve the problem, but as suggested above, a good proactive appraoch in the future is to use synthetic wheel protection; Poorboys Wheel Sealant is an excellent simple approach, or else you can go further and consider a two stage approach using Werkstat Prime Strong as the basecoat and Poorboys Wheel Sealant as the topcoat, as per the contents of this Wheel Protection Kit...

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/wheel-protection-kit-wheels.html

:icon_thumright: