Saloon in Glacier White or in Black?

jo_bxl

Reaction score
Hey guys, I will order new A3 Saloon in 2 weeks time. I know already the full configuration - apart from the colour. I cannot decide whether to go for Glacier White or Pearl Black. When I first saw the car, I was amazed by Glacier White (now I own a black A3 sportback so new white car would be a real change). But then I started to look everywhere around me (I live in Belgium) and all I see are white cars which are all dirty. I have a feeling white colour shows very nice all the lines of the car but at the very same time I have a feeling it is impossible to keep it clean.Pearl Black fits the car as well (saloon looks more like a diplomat car in black) - in fact you can see the chrome frame around the side windows much better - the only drawback is that it would not be such a big change as I have a black audi right now. Would you be able to help me with my decision?Which colour suits the car better? Is the Glacier White so difficult to keep it clean?

Attachments

• IMG_6399.jpg
    IMG_6399.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 1,167
  • IMG_6254.jpg
    IMG_6254.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 579
  • IMG_6257.jpg
    IMG_6257.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 494
Last edited:
Black looks great . White more common on police vehicles. My 2 Euros is go Black Phantom is best as easier to keep looking good than Brilliant black

one more pic of Glacier White

Attachments

• IMG_6051.jpg
    IMG_6051.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 629
Reactions: Trickz
Make whatever decision is right for you and not one made for you. Can't be that difficult...

Reactions: PilotAudi
one more pic of Glacier White

Personally I think the white in these 19's looks really nice, I was tempted by white myself. If you've tried black I reckon white we'll help the new car feel, plus I think it'll wear maybe a little better? My wife's last car was black and it looked great clean but never stayed that way long

Think white shows the lines better but you need to like washing cars.
Up to you.........Id look at a grey

white and some dirty dark or black wheels will set it off.
black cars amplifies swirls while white cars hide them.
its your choice.

Reactions: RobbieWebs
White with the 19"s Deffo. Looks amazing :)
Black looks amazing as well when clean but doesn't take long to get dirty with dust.
Speaking from experience the undercoat of the bonnet will probably be white on all colours, hence why I will never buy a black car again due to stone chips ...

From past experience brilliant black (on a 3 series bmw) nightmare to keep clean,even after jUst washing it,they gather dust quickly
Metallic black(on a A4) a bit easier as the metallic flakes help with the dust thing,but does show any marks ,stone chips etc
Dolphin grey (on a A4) better still at hiding dirt,stone chips etc just as visible.
Considering Glacier,it does appear to be the best and most dramatic colour to show the car,hoping its better still with the dust thing ,but will show dirt....just have to wash it (no water marks though!)

Cool, sophisticated metallic black is the way forward.

Women don't wear a "little white dress" do they (well, Essex maybe) and you get the added bonus of doing without the inevitable "recession white" comments from people too if you chose Glacier.

Plus, metallic black never goes out of fashion. Yes it's hard work to keep clean but using a two bucket wash method it doesn't take long and you can minimise swirls. When you do get them, just buy a proper polisher for c.£150 and use it once every 6-12 months to keep it looking showroom shine.

Reactions: PilotAudi
Whilst it feels strange, a black car will ALWAYS look dirtier quicker than a white car it's a fact. Black looks great when washed then quickly looks dirty.
Also, black will easier show up any small dent in the bodywork due to its high shine.

Don't disagree with any of that. Black is hard work and costly to keep fixing the inevitable door dings etc.

Had a white car and a black car. Would never have either again. Black cars are harder to get and to keep clean. Black needs a chamois after a wash to remove water marks. Even if it is dry a black car will be covered in dust in a few days.

White is slightly better. Water marks and dust are less noticeable. However, dirt will soon stick to the rear and lower parts of the car. So you get a 2 tone white/brown effect. Also tar will require cleaning off periodically.

In my experience silver is the easiest to keep clean. Though again tar will require removal.

Dakota is my favourite colour of A3. However, I'm not sure about the safety of driving a car that is the same colour as most roads - even with DLRs.

Isn't red the safest colour of car to drive?

Last edited:
Black is my favorite. It just looks badass at night. Nothing brings out the bling of matt silver trim like black! White gives the best contrast and allows for more wheel color choices. As for the upkeep, I like my car clean and washing is therapeutic so be it white, black, blue means nothing to me. Minimal washing is in the upkeep. I use low dust brake pads, two buckets, foam lance, filtered water, plenty of wax or sealant depending on the time of year and a leaf blower to dry. It takes 20 minutes tops. Black cars are preferred by OCD types. Work is our salvation!

Black is my favorite. It just looks badass at night. Nothing brings out the bling of matt silver trim like black! White gives the best contrast and allows for more wheel color choices. As for the upkeep, I like my car clean and washing is therapeutic so be it white, black, blue means nothing to me. Minimal washing is in the upkeep. I use low dust brake pads, two buckets, foam lance, filtered water, plenty of wax or sealant depending on the time of year and a leaf blower to dry. It takes 20 minutes tops. Black cars are preferred by OCD types. Work is our salvation!
On average I spend 3 hours a day driving. At this time of year - I would need to wash a black car every day. Infact it would be dirty by the time I would arrive at work. So effectively, I would never get to drive the car and then see it clean.

For the summer I usually wash, dry, remove tar, wash, dry, colour restore, wash, dry, polish, apply 2 coats of sealant. Prefer sealant to wax for a silver car. My black car used to look great with a coat of wax.

Personally I do not like black as all the hard work of cleaning the car is very quickly ruined by taking it out on a wet road. My preference is Daytona Grey: