Saloon gone after 9 months.

daytonamart

Staff member
Reaction score
After a relatively short space of time I have got out of the A3 Saloon.

The problem was I could never get the seating position right, it always felt like I was sitting on the car not in it. I know this might sound strange but I never felt hunkered down in it always perched on the seat.

I came from a B7 A4 and after 8 years in it the A3 was supposed to be a step forwards but I felt as if I had gone backwards. Road noise was very obvious although that wasn't helped by the 19's and the whole feel of the car felt a little, dare I say cheaper than I was hoping.

The spec was good but boy did I pay for it. I don't regret this as the car was lovely to look at just not drive. I had major issues with the leather from day one which was fixed by the end and a rattle which drove me insane did get resolved but I am relieved to have got out of it.

This forum has been very useful and welcoming so at least I can say I have enjoyed the social side of owning it.

Cheers Mart.

Reactions: jimojameso, Rob2k68, Gordo77 and 3 others
Takes all sorts !!!
I find my saloon comfortable and quiet. Relatively low road noise - but standard wheels with Cinturatos. No rattles etc.
No problem with leather seats cos mine are fabric - :whistle2:

Reactions: Gordo77 and pburv
Feel your pain. I have the s3 saloon and it's a mixture of happiness and dullness and some niggles. Moving on in December.

Reactions: Jassyo06 and pburv
Feel your pain. I have the s3 saloon and it's a mixture of happiness and dullness and some niggles. Moving on in December.
What you guys moving on to next?

Reactions: Rob2k68
It is definitely a lovely car. Dare I say a lot nicer than the A4 saloon. Better proportioned. Shame you didn't gel with it.

What you moved on to?

All the best.

Reactions: Pook, Rob2k68, S3 Turbo and 1 other person
I can relate to the OP... and life's too short to be stuck with something you just don't enjoy. Good luck with your next one. :)

Reactions: Pook, Rob2k68 and pburv
An S3 dull, that is surprising!

I have just got an A3 after several MINIs. I have not yet found the perfect position but it is still comfortable.

Reactions: S3 Turbo
Not really. It has many pluses but driver involvement. Maybe get that somewhere else. Anyways, for me an
a4 avant due in December.

Reactions: Jassyo06, Rob2k68 and pburv
Not really. It has many pluses but driver involvement. Maybe get that somewhere else. Anyways, for me an
a4 avant due in December.
What's the spec of the avant mate?

Reactions: glospete
I have an A4 Avant just now on loan until my S3 Saloon arrives. Lovely big car but is too grown up for me and I am finding it a bit boring although it definitely is the most comfortable car I have driven.

Reactions: pburv
I too find the driving position of the A3 S3 range unusual. The accelerator pedal position causes me ankle pain, something I dont get in any other car.

After a relatively short space of time I have got out of the A3 Saloon.

The problem was I could never get the seating position right, it always felt like I was sitting on the car not in it. I know this might sound strange but I never felt hunkered down in it always perched on the seat.

I came from a B7 A4 and after 8 years in it the A3 was supposed to be a step forwards but I felt as if I had gone backwards. Road noise was very obvious although that wasn't helped by the 19's and the whole feel of the car felt a little, dare I say cheaper than I was hoping.

The spec was good but boy did I pay for it. I don't regret this as the car was lovely to look at just not drive. I had major issues with the leather from day one which was fixed by the end and a rattle which drove me insane did get resolved but I am relieved to have got out of it.

This forum has been very useful and welcoming so at least I can say I have enjoyed the social side of owning it.

Cheers Mart.
You are quite correct in that the seat position cannot be set right, having come from other manufacturers cars that could be, this is the one thing I also noticed and coupled with the driving control being far to 'uninvolving' as well you are correct when you say it feels like sitting on the car, not part of. A deal breaker it isn't though as a quick test drive established the positives outweighed the negatives and now I have just got used to it...

Reactions: Audi Bairn
What's the spec of the avant mate?

This time I'm getting the A4 Avant Sline 2.0TDI 190 Quattro Stronic
Just a few toys added,

-Daytona grey
-Leather/Alcantara
-Comfort and sound pack (With memory)
-Light and Vision pack
-Tech pack
-Adaptive Comfort suspension
-Heated seats
-Electric mirrors
-Rear view camera
-Traffic sign recognition
-Privacy glass

Reactions: Jcbmally, pburv and KenL
You are quite correct in that the seat position cannot be set right, having come from other manufacturers cars that could be, this is the one thing I also noticed and coupled with the driving control being far to 'uninvolving' as well you are correct when you say it feels like sitting on the car, not part of. A deal breaker it isn't though as a quick test drive established the positives outweighed the negatives and now I have just got used to it...

Agree with this and that is the only aspect of the car I am struggling with.

Never had any issues with my GTIs but cannot find a comfortable driving position in the S3.
Same comments, feels like I am sitting on the car and not in it.
I cannot get the seat low enough, comparing with my mates S4, his seats can go much lower than I need.

I felt that way when I set in the front passenger seat of my car, felt weird.

Perhaps more tuning with the lumbar adjustments or you need to break in your seat the same way you do your shoes. ;)

I felt that way when I set in the front passenger seat of my car, felt weird.

Perhaps more tuning with the lumbar adjustments or you need to break in your seat the same way you do your shoes. ;)

Or maybe I could lose a few pounds :blush: :chuncky:

Reactions: Rob2k68 and pburv
Agree with this and that is the only aspect of the car I am struggling with.

Never had any issues with my GTIs but cannot find a comfortable driving position in the S3.
Same comments, feels like I am sitting on the car and not in it.
I cannot get the seat low enough, comparing with my mates S4, his seats can go much lower than I need.

Have you tried playing around with the tilt of the base part... for me that makes a huge difference if you make it either flat or tilted up at the front...?

Reactions: richinsoton, Audi Bairn, Rob2k68 and 1 other person
I guess this is very individual.
Feels like the seat is hand tailored for me in the S3 while sitting loose and not quite finding the comfort zone with the A4 sport seats.

Prefer the real quattro over Haldex though...

To op, best luck with whatever new car you get!

Reactions: Jassyo06, Rob2k68 and pburv
What you guys moving on to next?

Thanks for the responses guys, I am glad I am not the only one who finds the sitting position awkward. I thought I was going mad for a lot of the ownership time.

So on Saturday I went to pick up my new car, Audi A5 sportback black edition plus.

Now you may think this is quite a departure from the saloon but here are the facts:

Brand new A3 Saloon 2.0 diesel S line with 19's. comfort pack. light pack. Nav. mono pur. privacy £31,050

A5 Sportback 2.0 Diesel black edition, 19' rotors, B&O, Nav, Nappa leather. privacy. pre registered 16 plate with 14 miles on the clock: £27,170.

Drove 155 miles back from Newbury Audi and it is refined beyond belief, yes, yes it's the run out model but looks great.

and, yes the sitting position is 100% spot on, lovely and low, you feel part of it for sure.

I'll get a picture up if anyone's interested.

Cheers again,

Mart.

Reactions: Brasso, richinsoton, AU11 ALS and 5 others
Thanks for the responses guys, I am glad I am not the only one who finds the sitting position awkward. I thought I was going mad for a lot of the ownership time.

So on Saturday I went to pick up my new car, Audi A5 sportback black edition plus.

Now you may think this is quite a departure from the saloon but here are the facts:

Brand new A3 Saloon 2.0 diesel S line with 19's. comfort pack. light pack. Nav. mono pur. privacy £31,050

A5 Sportback 2.0 Diesel black edition, 19' rotors, B&O, Nav, Nappa leather. privacy. pre registered 16 plate with 14 miles on the clock: £27,170.

Drove 155 miles back from Newbury Audi and it is refined beyond belief, yes, yes it's the run out model but looks great.

and, yes the sitting position is 100% spot on, lovely and low, you feel part of it for sure.

Cheers again,

Mart.

Yeah pics please - sounds smart :friends:

Reactions: Brasso and S3 Turbo
Funnily enough i often get lower back pain in my S3. Can't get the driving position right, so interesting to read I'm not the only one.

Note: I have sport seats.

Reactions: daytonamart
I find both in mine as well, always feel like I'm sitting on it rather than in it and do get lower back pain from the seats.

I have the sports seats in mine so rather annoying paying £795 to be uncomfortable.

Also have an annoying creaking from what I think is where the rear high level break light housing meets the rear window.

The S3 is definitely not as well made as my previous A5 coupe.

Reactions: daytonamart
I find both in mine as well, always feel like I'm sitting on it rather than in it and do get lower back pain from the seats.

I have the sports seats in mine so rather annoying paying £795 to be uncomfortable.

Also have an annoying creaking from what I think is where the rear high level break light housing meets the rear window.

Chris!! The noise I had in mine was diagnosed as the high level break light, it was intermittent and worse when chassis was cold. Audi fixed it, although needed two days as they completely dismantled the rear bench seat to work on it.

It was fixed though. There is hope!

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Chris4410 and Rob2k68
I have to rely on it actually doing it at the time, my dealer will not take the car in for these kind of issues unless you can demonstrate it to them.

As you say it is bad sometimes and then other times it can be ok

Cheers again,

Mart.
Pictures if interested? Oh come on!.............Of course you muppet...lol
Glad you have got yourself a great car...As for the black edition being run of the mill??
How can you call this run of the mill...
Upload 2016 9 19 18 49 39

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Pook and Rob2k68
Sitting very high that one, and those wheels look like something from halfords

Pictures if interested? Oh come on!.............Of course you muppet...lol
Glad you have got yourself a great car...As for the black edition being run of the mill??
How can you call this run of the mill...
View attachment 103946
Sorry meant to say 'run out model'...But you know what I mean...lol:friends:

OK, so here is a pic of my new car and the saloon I let go:
A3 Saloon
A5 sb

The difference is night and day.

Reactions: richinsoton, S32B, Audi Bairn and 5 others
You lot should try a 3 door. Seat never goes back to the same position once tilted. Ever.

Funnily enough i often get lower back pain in my S3. Can't get the driving position right, so interesting to read I'm not the only one.

Note: I have sport seats.

Me too…I also have the Supersport seats

Had same issue previously with the high break light in my saloon, garage found and fixed it under warranty no problem. I believe all they did was put a little padding strip in or something. Not ideal for a brand new £30k car like but I guess it fixed it.

Reactions: Chris4410, pburv and daytonamart
As much as I like the A5, IMHO, the A3 saloon looks far nicer, and more modern....but maybe I'm biased!!
Have you seen the NEW A5??? Audi are doing some lovely looking cars.

Funny, other than the new TT and R8 I think they've ruined their entire line-up....

The new S5 looks so bad compared to the B8.5....

Funny, other than the new TT and R8 I think they've ruined their entire line-up....

The new S5 looks so bad compared to the B8.5....
I think it depends what you are used to, when in work I see the new Astra being built everyday.....I best leave it there lol :D

Yeah, the new A5 looks good, but I was commenting on the old shape A5 daytonamart has bought, shown in his photo #28

I think it depends what you are used to, when in work I see the new Astra being built everyday.....I best leave it there lol :D

Ha yea fair enough.

The new A3 is alright, but then I've always felt it was pretty unremarkable looking anyway. Same with the A4. The new Q7 just looks hideous though....! Not that bad with the new A/S5 but the front just looks off...looks like the Mondeo....