Saloon Boot Issue

bigtasty

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue. Since this morning, the boot on my S3 Saloon (Pre-Facelift) has stopped 'working'.

As you know, when you release the boot it should open automatically. Not only is this not happening, it's actually resisting any force to open it manually. I actually thought there was someone inside the boot holding it closed :tongueclosed:.

I'm guessing something's wrong with the pistons, and will give Audi a call later today. Anyone else had this issue?

I've had the boot not release a couple of times but only a slight touch releases it as it's only because the seals have been a bit sticky due to the weather

Reactions: Jassyo06 and rcnacura
Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue. Since this morning, the boot on my S3 Saloon (Pre-Facelift) has stopped 'working'.

As you know, when you release the boot it should open automatically. Not only is this not happening, it's actually resisting any force to open it manually. I actually thought there was someone inside the boot holding it closed :tongueclosed:.

I'm guessing something's wrong with the pistons, and will give Audi a call later today. Anyone else had this issue?
Never had an issue with my previous a3 saloon either...
Here shows springs and dampers so its not actually clear which does what https://audi.7zap.com/en/rdw/audi+a3+s3+sportb+lim+qu/a3/2013-745/8/827-827015/

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Is it budging at all? If not then I suspect the locking mechanism has broken and isn't actual disengaging. If it was just the springs/dampers/etc that were jammed, I'd expect it to move fractionally.

I can open it fully, just with a hell of a lot of force. If I let go it snaps back shut at such a speed that I think it would take your fingers off.

It's going in to Audi next week, they have 'never heard of that before...'

Thought I would update this just to provide info. Car went into Audi yesterday and they have confirmed that "N/S boot spring broken and very rusty."

Apparently there are signs of a water leak in the boot that's caused the spring to rust through to the point of breaking. They have also noticed the gas strut is showing signs of rust as well.

The part is on order and it's going back in a few weeks to have it fitted. They are taking the car for three days to investigate how water has managed to get in there as well. The interesting thing is that even after the crap weather we've had recently the boot is (at the moment) completely dry.

Has anyone had any issues with leaky boots?

Reactions: well_cool