Saint Gobain or Pilkington?

Reaction score
I've managed to crack my windshield :( Threw a BlackBerry on the dashboard and somehow it first hit the glass before landing on the floor, cracking it.
Now, which of the two producers should I choose for a new windshield? Pilkington or Saint-Gobain? The original is S-G but Pilkington about half the price of S-G.

both do the same job! wouldn't worry to much ! which ever is cheapest it will do its not like someone is going to go round the windows and check they are all the same make

I think audi use both brands from the factory I've seen some cars with pilks in one window and st gobain on another

I wouldn't use the insurance to change it because when I'll renew it I'd have to pay a premium (I'm not sure if this is the right word in English) higher than the cost of the windshield.

The thing is that I've read that some are more resistant then the others and I wouldn't like if it scratches at the tiniest spec of dust caught in the wiper.

When I had mine done I had pilkington and the fitter said they are both oem quality the only ones to watch are the Chinese ones

Just get one ordered from tps and get a decent firm to fit it they won't charge much

Anyone know if the replacement ones come with the correct shaded bits and any with the Audi rings on like the OEM ones? Being a tart with mine I know lol

If you have a top tint then yes you tell them it as that also rain sensors or the auto lights as the teardrop they use is different than to a normal mirror.

Use tut insurance. Usually 70-90 pounds excess and doesn't affect NCB.

Also when I've renewed I've never known my policy to increase or anything.

My screen has been replaced in past I think. It's Pilkington but no 4 rings. The rest of the glass is Pilkington with 4 rings which leads me to believe it's been replaced. Also it has no peppering on the screen from the motorway mileage.

Mate said yeah you can request an original audi screen he said they may feed some rubbish to you, but stand your ground

The scuttle doesn't always fit back correctly with aftermarket glass

Your policy will only cover a certain amount for OEM glass. You'll have to pay difference.

my last insurance company said they'd cover £150 towards a OEM BMW screen!!!

Oki cheers fella, in my 20 years of driving I've never had a screen replaced or even a chip done, so a first for me lol

Never had a problem with this? :confused:

I was told not always, so the times you have had no problem that's fine.
This is my mates bread and butter, he knows his onions ;)

I had mine replaced with Pilkington and it is not the same quality as the factory fitted glass. There is a band along the bottom where the view through the glass is distorted, and it also seems to be less resilient to stone chips/pits than the factory glass was.

In the US, they can call glass OEM as long as it meets a certain set of standards, which are typically lower than what the auto manufacturers accept for new cars. Even though the glass you're buying is from an OEM supplier, it is not actual OEM quality. Not much you can do unless you order the glass from Audi with the Audi part number (dealers here even farm out their glass replacement to third parties using inferior glass.) All I can say is inspect the glass very closely before it is fitted, look for any waviness or distortion, and if all looks in order then hope for the best.