Matt’s Defender Build Thread.

T6Eofsn
I'll stick with the newly acquired rattle box!!!

Reactions: AudiNutta, Audi Bairn, Jcbmally and 2 others
My favourite place in the world is the Lake District so more than a little bit envious of your proximity to my ‘happy place’. And Autumn definitely the best time for walking.

Proximity no excuse for heading home at the end of the day though pal. Wild camping is the mother of all ‘mindfulness’ remedies. Seriously grounds you and puts thing in perspective.

You don’t get this view on a ‘normal’ campsite (and yes, it did take a Defender we hired for the weekend to get us here - not S3 friendly terrain!)

View attachment 167375

Second favourite place in the world would be the huge expanses of Norfolk BIG beaches e.g. Holkham. Great memories here. Picture below was in February earlier this year. Miles and miles of beach, and we barely saw another soul all day. Not many places in the world you can say that these days...

View attachment 167374

Anyways, back on thread.....
gonna take a guess at where that first pic is taken from....the byway that runs between Tarns Hows and Black Crag.

As Big Arnie said to that big Beastie in the jungle.... That time. ..... Lol

Lol - “you are one ugly mother....” classic Arnie :tearsofjoy:

Have to agree with you there mate - I know they are spy spots, but doesn’t look great. You can’t polish a ****, but looks like they’re trying to roll it in glitter and tie a bow around it anyways, lol. Very awkward design.

gonna take a guess at where that first pic is taken from....the byway that runs between Tarns Hows and Black Crag.

I can’t honestly recall, but you could well be right mate - where you mention is certainly in the right neck of the woods.

We used this outfit, based in Windermere... http://kankku.co.uk , and we did get a car ferry across the lake.

Great weekend, you’re basically given the keys, an OS map and some rally style pace notes so the co-driver gets to give directions to the driver on the fly while you’re out green laning - ****** hilarious - laughed like a drain all weekend. Can recommend them if you fancy a quality outdoorsy weekend away with a mate.

Company is called Kankku as the owners hero is Juha Kankkunen - 1980s/early 90’s rally 4x world rally champ. Back in them days those Group B rally cars were proper hardcore, and rallying was SERIOUSLY dangerous. Group B was eventually banned in 1986 as too many drivers, co-drivers and spectators were getting killed. Those guys had big kankkuhunas. Kankkunen won world titles in the old Toyota Celica and Lancia Delta Integrale, both iconic classics (both pics below are Group A cars Kankku won titles in, after Group B was banned)

BE0A25D9 318A 471D A6B9 5CF2E62BFD2A

E8B73AD5 D1A8 4CE2 8E7B B3A3198FF34B

I actually had this Tamiya ‘toy’ model of the Celica - god knows what happened to it, lol.

Anyways, back on thread...

Reactions: Audi Bairn, MattSedg, Jcbmally and 2 others

Have to agree with you there mate - I know they are spy spots, but doesn’t look great. You can’t polish a ****, but looks like they’re trying to roll it in glitter and tie a bow around it anyways, lol. Very awkward design.

I can’t honestly recall, but you could well be right mate - where you mention is certainly in the right neck of the woods.

We used this outfit, based in Windermere... http://kankku.co.uk , and we did get a car ferry across the lake.

Great weekend, you’re basically given the keys, an OS map and some rally style pace notes so the co-driver gets to give directions to the driver on the fly while you’re out green laning - ****** hilarious - laughed like a drain all weekend. Can recommend them if you fancy a quality outdoorsy weekend away with a mate.

Company is called Kankku as the owners hero is Juha Kankkunen - 1980s/early 90’s rally 4x world rally champ. Back in them days those Group B rally cars were proper hardcore, and rallying was SERIOUSLY dangerous. Group B was eventually banned in 1986 as too many drivers, co-drivers and spectators were getting killed. Those guys had big kankkuhunas. Kankkunen won world titles in the old Toyota Celica and Lancia Delta Integrale, both iconic classics (both pics below are Group A cars Kankku won titles in, after Group B was banned)

View attachment 167431

View attachment 167432

I actually had this Tamiya ‘toy’ model of the Celica - god knows what happened to it, lol.

Oh my, something weird happened to me when I seen the Integrale, sigh, how I miss the good ol' days.

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Jimbob76

View attachment 167431

View attachment 167432

Aye seen them Kanku trucks about, but I never knew you got them to yourself to do as you wish!
Might take one of there's out instead if battering mine up :whistle2:

Reactions: Jimbob76
First job and start of the build thread!

Seats out, and cut the bulkhead/divider down, which when we get the seat risers fitted will allow the seats to go much further back for better legroom.

Rear folding seats in tomorrow night then just the seats to go in once the risers come.
20181011 215555 2016x1134

Reactions: Tom.H, Jassyo06, Jimbob76 and 3 others
Another late one tinkering :grimacing: Rear folding seats and retractable seat belts fitted

20181012 233449 2016x1134

Last edited:
Reactions: Jassyo06, Jcbmally, Jimbob76 and 6 others
Wasting no time getting to work!

Its weird really, we were messing about till 11:30 with this and a new pressure washer being fitted, and everything me and the old man have done on it so far has ended in arguments, swearing and a late night, but still somehow enjoyable :tearsofjoy:

Last edited:
Reactions: AudiNutta, Tom.H, BarryG79 and 5 others
Its weird really, we were messing about till 11:30 with this and a new pressure washer being fitted, and everything me and the old man have done on it so far has ended in arguments, swearing and a late night, but still somehow enjoyable :tearsofjoy:
I would say they are not arguments, just opinions lol, dads know best @MattSedg
Remember there are no such things as problems, just challenges. There are no such things as mistakes, just learning. :superman:

Reactions: AudiNutta, Dunedin, Audi Bairn and 3 others
Reactions: Audi Bairn, Sandra, BarryG79 and 2 others
Reactions: Flying Scotsman, Jcbmally, NevMan and 1 other person
When's the Bondage stirrups and the wardrobe for all the Gimp suits gettin fitted.....lol
told you not to say what the real purpose of this car is, *** spilling the beans

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Jassyo06, Sandra and 5 others
Aye sportbacks just don’t have the headroom!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nor the privacy, too many windows!!! hence the 90 van :hopelessness:

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Jassyo06, Sandra and 3 others
Reactions: MattSedg, Audi Bairn, Jassyo06 and 2 others
ordered a good amount of bits! some will need sending off to a painter before they go on the landy!

Reactions: Sandra
ordered a good amount of bits! some will need sending off to a painter before they go on the landy!
Do that mean we get more pics Matt?

Reactions: Audi Bairn and MattSedg
Forgot i had this one from last weekend, another visit to wrynose pass for more Wainwrights!...not the beer

20181022 120712

Reactions: Dunedin, A4A4, Bristle Hound and 9 others
Just Awesome Matt. :) x

Reactions: Audi Bairn, MattSedg and Jcbmally
Looks far more suited there than the S3 haha.

No funky numberplate photoshop either now :p

Reactions: Audi Bairn, NevMan, MattSedg and 1 other person
L
looks far more suited there than the S3 haha.

No funky numberplate photoshop either now :p
haha yep a lot more suited, I met a car on this corner on my way to Wrynose.....they just sat there awkwardly not knowing what to do, so I just fired it up that rocky pull off and skipped right past them.
Where as in my S3, i shat a brick when I got to the same corner
Rdegfedsrfh

Reactions: Audi Bairn, AudiNutta, Tom.H and 4 others
View attachment 167233
First proper trip out, went up wrynose/hardknott pass at the best time of day, on my way to tick a few wainwrights off.
Would you believe I have a S3 pic in this exact spot, and time of day.

Anyway heres a few pics of the interior,
Corbeau buckets, alcantara headliner, fully sound deadened, re carpeted and rubber matted by the previous owner.
The small bulkhead/divider will be getting cut down shortly to allow the front seats to come further back and there will be two inwards facing, folding seats to fix onto the offside rear wheel arch.

View attachment 167237 View attachment 167238 View attachment 167239
@MattSedg - ^ Likey, a lot ! Congrats buddy !

Reactions: NevMan and MattSedg
New front grill and light surround set up landed, needs paint!
20181025 204807 1951x735

Reactions: Dunedin, TYb, Tom.H and 3 others
Much needed noise is coming next week :busted cop:
20181103 071625 1134x2016

Reactions: Bristle Hound, Jassyo06, BarryG79 and 4 others
@MattSedg Coming along nicely Matt. It’s going to be so cool when your finished. Then we will need a video lol. Enjoy your weekend :) x

Reactions: Jassyo06, Jcbmally, MattSedg and 1 other person
@MattSedg Coming along nicely Matt. It’s going to be so cool when your finished. Then we will need a video lol. Enjoy your weekend :) x
We try for a video of the decatted sound...a touch in the obnoxious side :icon thumright:

Reactions: Jassyo06, Jcbmally, Audi Bairn and 1 other person
Naw it should be renamed @MattSedg
Emmerdale Farm car project build thread lol
Emmerdale ey, so that's what the big tv is for...soap operas. Wouldn't have put you down for a fan of them jassy

Reactions: Jcbmally, Audi Bairn and Jassyo06