Matt’s Defender Build Thread.

Ooohh aarrrr @MattSedg flat cap, stick and wellies and you are set lol, seriously mate enjoy your new ride, put a Bowler engine in it and blow us into the weeds. :thumbs up:

Reactions: Jimbob76, MattSedg and Jassyo06
Ooohh aarrrr @MattSedg flat cap, stick and wellies and you are set lol, seriously mate enjoy your new ride, put a Bowler engine in it and blow us into the weeds. :thumbs up:
just have to find my pipe mate, put it down on some wall top up the fell....

cheers man, or a LS3 with auto box :wtf:

Reactions: NevMan and Jcbmally
will definately keep in touch, family is on about a holiday to Skye in spring so will be racking your brains once again!

No worries mate,just shout, my sister used to live on Skye so I know it quite well. The drive up there is a stunning road trip in itself.

Reactions: Jcbmally and MattSedg
The S3 went this morning!

Will avoid the soppy post but I really will miss the car, but as I have already said on another post somewhere on here, it just wasn't getting used and was pretty much pointless having, other than the odd trip to go and get food or take pictures etc.

So here is the replacement.....a mint Galway Green metallic Defender 90, collected from Northern Ireland behind the old mans workhorse.

Will be staying on the forum, hope I'm allowed to post the odd Defender pic in this thread?

View attachment 167041

Matt, good to hear the S3 has shifted...well you know what I mean. Nice colour you have there...love the defender! Look forward to regular updates and mods

Reactions: Sandra and MattSedg
Wrynose pass sunrise low

First proper trip out, went up wrynose/hardknott pass at the best time of day, on my way to tick a few wainwrights off.
Would you believe I have a S3 pic in this exact spot, and time of day.

Anyway heres a few pics of the interior,
Corbeau buckets, alcantara headliner, fully sound deadened, re carpeted and rubber matted by the previous owner.
The small bulkhead/divider will be getting cut down shortly to allow the front seats to come further back and there will be two inwards facing, folding seats to fix onto the offside rear wheel arch.

Defender back1
Defender back3
Defender back2

Reactions: Pinky1959, Steelster, Bristle Hound and 14 others
View attachment 167233
First proper trip out, went up wrynose/hardknott pass at the best time of day, on my way to tick a few wainwrights off.
Would you believe I have a S3 pic in this exact spot, and time of day.

Anyway heres a few pics of the interior,
Corbeau buckets, alcantara headliner, fully sound deadened, re carpeted and rubber matted by the previous owner.
The small bulkhead/divider will be getting cut down shortly to allow the front seats to come further back and there will be two inwards facing, folding seats to fix onto the offside rear wheel arch.

View attachment 167237 View attachment 167238 View attachment 167239
Actually looks very good mate . . So when's the Arctic expedition taking place lol

Reactions: Jcbmally, BarryG79, NevMan and 1 other person
Actually looks very good mate . . So when's the Arctic expedition taking place lol
cheers! doesnt look so WW2-like with the buckets :tearsofjoy: don't have to worry about creasing bolsters either with this thick leather.....won't miss that carry on one bit mate.

arctic expedition, you mean trip up to scotland?! ferry to Iceland sounds like an idea, good pictures

Reactions: Jcbmally, BarryG79, Audi Bairn and 1 other person
Great photography as always Matt - you’ve got a knack for finding some spectacular backgrounds!

Reactions: Jcbmally, MattSedg and oli356
Liking the look of the Defender Matt, just need some artistic off-road shots now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Audi Bairn, MattSedg, Jassyo06 and 1 other person
The interior looks comfy Matt. Pic are great as always x

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Jcbmally, MattSedg and 1 other person
Liking the look of the Defender Matt, just need some artistic off-road shots now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i know of a few nice, gentle green lanes in the yorkshire dales for some pictures. goes without saying I'll be getting more pics of the defender than S3 because I'll straight up use it more :whistle2:

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Jcbmally, oli356 and 1 other person
Great photography as always Matt - you’ve got a knack for finding some spectacular backgrounds!
spoilt for choice living where i do, and i've only just realised it lol

and thank you :)

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Jcbmally, Jimbob76 and 1 other person
spoilt for choice living where i do, and i've only just realised it lol

and thank you :)

I’ve only just noticed, you managed to persuade Sandra to give you your own colour coded ‘Defender 90’ and ‘Galway Green’ badges for your profile mate. Lol - quality! (and nice one @Sandra !) You’re now formally obliged to stick around on ASN and keep us up to date with your ‘Fender exploits. Still waiting for ‘Matt’s ‘Fender Build Thread’ to be started... Just sayin’...

Reactions: Audi Bairn, NevMan, Sandra and 1 other person
I’ve only just noticed, you managed to persuade Sandra to give you your own colour coded ‘Defender 90’ and ‘Galway Green’ badges for your profile mate. Lol - quality! (and nice one @Sandra !) You’re now formally obliged to stick around on ASN and keep us up to date with your ‘Fender exploits. Still waiting for ‘Matt’s ‘Fender Build Thread’ to be started... Just sayin’...
i took a cheeky shot getting the badges, and Sandra came through!

i think this thread will just carry on as a build thread i guess

Reactions: Audi Bairn, NevMan, Sandra and 1 other person
With your permission I may have to pick up your old ‘Roof Rails Enthusiast’ baton mate now that you’ve changed to ‘ex S3 owner’, and keep that fire burning bright :thumbs up:

Reactions: rvtb101, oli356 and MattSedg
With your permission I may have to pick up your old ‘Roof Rails Enthusiast’ baton mate now that you’ve changed to ‘ex S3 owner’, and keep that fire burning bright :thumbs up:
handing the torch over :tearsofjoy:

i might be joining you on team Thule in the future :friends:

Reactions: NevMan and Jimbob76
i took a cheeky shot getting the badges, and Sandra came through!

i think this thread will just carry on as a build thread i guess

handing the torch over :tearsofjoy:

i might be joining you on team Thule in the future :friends:

Ooh - @Sandra - Team Thule badge please!!! In black... :yes: (not expecting this to happen..but maybe secretly hoping:salute:)

Reactions: rvtb101, Audi Bairn, Sandra and 2 others
where will it stop :fearscream::tearsofjoy:

Lol, the list is endless:
Team Rotor Grey Leather
Team Extreme Detailing
Team Microfibre Enthusiast...

...where will it stop indeed :sadlike:

Seriously though, Team Thule is a cool one :sunglasses:

Love this forum - have just upgraded my account to ‘Gold Supporter’ by donating £20 for a 12 month subscription. Less than £2 a month for all the knowledge and experience sharing and banter - that’s a bargain in my books.

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Sandra and MattSedg
Lol, the list is endless:
Team Rotor Grey Leather
Team Extreme Detailing
Team Microfibre Enthusiast...

...where will it stop indeed :sadlike:

Seriously though, Team Thule is a cool one :sunglasses:

Love this forum - have just upgraded my account to ‘Gold Supporter’ by donating £20 for a 12 month subscription. Less than £2 a month for all the knowledge and experience sharing and banter - that’s a bargain in my books.
Don't forget Team Incredibrush flat

yeah if I ever do get into camping away, say in scotland, a nice sleek Thule box might on the cards, being a 90 its not great on space.

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Jimbob76
You know it makes sense :sunglasses:. The Journey Centre probably aren’t a million miles away from you mate. Super helpful outfit - and they refuse to do online/mail order as the chance of the box getting damaged is too high. Worth a little road trip (based in Huddersfield). They’ll give you good advise on what works best in terms of bars and box for your Defender. They did me right. #sensiblefamilycar

74E110E7 41C2 4CA2 8662 6D502D46AB53

Last edited:
Reactions: Jassyo06, NevMan, MattSedg and 1 other person
You know it makes sense :sunglasses:. The Journey Centre probably aren’t a million miles away from you mate. Super helpful outfit - and they refuse to do online/mail order as the chance of the box getting damaged is too high. Worth a little road trip (based in Huddersfield). They’ll give you good advise on what works best in terms of bars and box for your Defender. They did me right. #sensiblefamilycar

View attachment 167365
will keep it in mind mate :thumbs up:

what are they like for washing....as temperamental as B pillars? :readit:

Reactions: Jimbob76
will keep it in mind mate :thumbs up:

what are they like for washing....as temperamental as B pillars? :readit:

More so. Only wash with butterfly wings and essense of unicorn farts. Take your usual swirl prevention regime and dial it up well past 10! Seriously though, best advise I can give is be as careful as you can when washing (especially with the MEGA bug splats it WILL pick up on the front face - use a citrus based pre-wash for this area in particular - do not scrub!), and just accept that your roof box will pick up some swirls. Don’t worry about it. Just get yourself a decent tent, and get out there with the dogs and hit those Wainrights walks pal!

Reactions: MattSedg
More so. Only wash with butterfly wings and essense of unicorn farts. Take your usual swirl prevention regime and dial it up well past 10! Seriously though, best advise I can give is be as careful as you can when washing (especially with the MEGA bug splats it WILL pick up on the front face - use a citrus based pre-wash for this area in particular - do not scrub!), and just accept that your roof box will pick up some swirls. Don’t worry about it. Just get yourself a decent tent, and get out there with the dogs and hit those Wainrights walks pal!
dam, i just used up the last of my unicorn farts!

the defender in general is never going to be swirl free, might be coated eventually though, quite nice knowing I can/will be a bit more relaxed with this car!

not thought of camping gear much yet as im only 30-45 mins from the Lakes, but I'd like a roofbox and side awning of some sorts, mate has a roof tent which I was looking at, maybe a bit much more me!

Wainwrights you say??? only 181 left, and my favourite time of year for walking coming up :rockwoot:

Last edited:
Reactions: NevMan and Jimbob76
My favourite place in the world is the Lake District so more than a little bit envious of your proximity to my ‘happy place’. And Autumn definitely the best time for walking.

Proximity no excuse for heading home at the end of the day though pal. Wild camping is the mother of all ‘mindfulness’ remedies. Seriously grounds you and puts thing in perspective.

You don’t get this view on a ‘normal’ campsite (and yes, it did take a Defender we hired for the weekend to get us here - not S3 friendly terrain!)

86EBB25C 3307 4F73 8C20 0244A287C26A

Second favourite place in the world would be the huge expanses of Norfolk BIG beaches e.g. Holkham. Great memories here. Picture below was in February earlier this year. Miles and miles of beach, and we barely saw another soul all day. Not many places in the world you can say that these days...

8688AC7E A5B4 40DC 8EC9 EE769E963AE7

Anyways, back on thread.....

Reactions: Flying Scotsman, Audi Bairn, oli356 and 1 other person
Very nice, and highly desirable now. Thieves have been stealing as many of those as they have S3's!

Reactions: MattSedg
Very nice, and highly desirable now. Thieves have been stealing as many of those as they have S3's!
My uncle woke up to his farm truck/defender sat there with no doors and bonnet. They'd somehow got through the farm and done all that without waking the sheepdog.

They're so easy to strip down and sell on. And as you say desirable.

*** this thread is buzzin
... Lol Galway Green box in yer Avatar....??? It's a Galway Girl ye need te get into the back of that defender .... . Keep ye warm when get stranded on a ****** mountain

Reactions: Jimbob76, BarryG79, Jcbmally and 4 others
*** this thread is buzzin
... Lol Galway Green box in yer Avatar....??? It's a Galway Girl ye need te get into the back of that defender .... . Keep ye warm when get stranded on a ****** mountain
This thread is the place to be fella, and Galway green is the new voodoo havnt you heard :thumbs up:

Everyone loves a defender :yes::smirk:

Reactions: AudiNutta, Audi Bairn, Jimbob76 and 3 others
Most views you've ever had Matt ! Lol !
Good Luck - Defending - Best Pete.
Never would have thought a defender would go down so well on here!!
Cheers Pete

Reactions: Audi Bairn, S1Pete, Sandra and 1 other person
Reactions: Audi Bairn, S1Pete, MattSedg and 1 other person