Safety Recall - Starter - Alternator 2.0 Litre TFSI engine 2017 - 2020

Reaction score
Has this been mentioned on here ? Had the letter through this morning. Recalled but they don’t have the parts yet. Affects A4, A5, A6 and Q5 models with above engine.
Advises not to park the car in a garage, car port or multi storey as a precautionary measure !

I have that engine have had no letter?

I put the car in the garage every night

Here’s the Q & A that came with the letter;

Attachments

• 9F399DFD-DADA-4A78-B3A3-427AD3C85B4C.jpeg
    9F399DFD-DADA-4A78-B3A3-427AD3C85B4C.jpeg
    417.7 KB · Views: 654
Thank you for the information I will look out for the letter ☹️

I'm currently waiting for collection of a brand new MY19 A5 with the 40TFSI engine, this its what's delaying me, I have been told early July is when I should be able to collect the vehicle.

Just spoke to my dealer you need 2 appointments!! 1 they check if car needs it, then they order parts and rebook a second appointment for fitting!

No just they would order if required on first inspection. Supposedly I was the first to enquire for them

Hi all,

Link to the letter referred to above I posted in the C8 forum this morning for convenience: https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/safety-recall-27h2-45tfsi-starter-alternator.418260/

I had an existing appointment with my local Audi for mid August (earliest available) to sort out a speaker rattle, I called in today and apparently they were able to schedule the starter-alternator change to be done then but I am already doubting the fluidity of the process...

Just had a call from my dealer, they have had the part "released" to them (I assume that means shipped) and I "should" be able to collect my car next week so looks like they may have some parts available already.

Does this affect the 2.0 TDI A4 owners also or just the petrol owners ?

According to a second source it does - another member posted an official recall notice on the thread in the link I posted above which states that it’s for both TDI and TFSI.

Got the same letter here in denmark, however the parts needed isn't available yet , so they will issue a second letter when the parts are ready.

Have just received a notice and the part seems available in Poland. I was able to make an appointment for the next Thursday. Well, I have to move the car outside, as they said.

Hi Gents,
Seems have to share my experience on above.
Recieved a letter just 2 days before my oil change booking. On 27.06th been told by London based dealership, starter alternator issue will also be resolved. Happy days! Two weeks latter got a dash board message start stop system unavailable, contact workshoop.
Presume service just disabled features of Mild hybrid system till proper parts arrived. Funny enough been told by service operative - trouble resolved.
Present mild hybrid audi system is responsible to switch of engine when not needed (like downhill) to charge lion battery. Or when brakes are applied. 12 v battery. Same time when engine is switched off, like downhill, that lion battery ennergy will be consumed to maintain all neccesery safety features working.
Obviously there are some troubles for the electrical system to chardge additional battery from same generator.
Just thinking of it.

Your post is a little confusing, presumably English is not your first language, however the star stop error may well just be coincidental as there are many thousands of this model on the road and I don't recall issues with the electrical regeneration components causing start stop issues...

Sorry for my English language skills.
However...
I've made a call to audi roadside assistance.
Their technician confirmed to me starter alternator been replaced. My issue comes with the new part replaced. Seems there are some signal faults between the computer and the new part. Computer itself can't recognise what the starter alternator sends as data(rpm, voltage, etc). Because of that just disableing the entire start stop system.
New firmware update been uploaded over the car, but still extra coding needed, technician said.
Or just the new part is the trouble maker.

The dealership obviously have made the replacemen by the book. Service engineers only missed to restart the car itself and to check for errors.
The car now is again in their possession, hope to sort out by the right and quickest way.

I see, yes either the new part is faulty or not installed correctly. No need to apologise either... :)

Anyone heard anything further on this ? I’ve heard nothing since the original letter in June.

They never contacted me to arrange the recall to be carried out, I had to book myself in with my local Audi centre and it took two appointments (leave car in AM, get told PM the parts are not available). It was sorted on September 10th and a week later I get a reminder letter (dated 15th so 5 days after work carried out) basically a copy of the June letter telling me it is still pending. :footy:

Just book yourself in with your dealer they should sort it no fuss but might take some time for parts to arrive.

Mine is going in Thursday to be changed. Had to wait awhile for the part

I was booked in to have it replaced however got a phone call the evening before saying no parts so appointment was cancelled. Been told they’ll be in touch when the part is available but nothing yet - this was 6 weeks ago!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies, I’ve booked it in at the local dealer in a couple of weeks. Take it from there I suppose.

Does this affect the 2.0 TDI A4 owners also or just the petrol owners ?
I've just had the starter-alternator replaced on my 2020 A6 2.0 TDI when it went in for service today, so I imagine the same applies to the A4 2.0 TDI variant as well.

Thanks for the replies, I’ve booked it in at the local dealer in a couple of weeks. Take it from there I suppose.
Went into the dealer’s today. Got a call in about a hour that it was all done. I was a little sceptical, perhaps unfairly, that it was completed in that timescale given they had outlined the Covid “cleansing” procedures pre and post any work they do and, in addition, it had a “health check” (or at least they measured the tyre tread). However, I’ve no idea how big a job, or otherwise, the recall is ?Erring on the side of caution I asked them for something in writing to detail that the work had been done in line with the safety recall. I left with that, so that’s something.

Recall work should show in 'My Audi', see workshop remark:
Screenshot 20201012 173238 Chrome

Reactions: burnleynotbarcelona
Thanks. Checked - nothing on there. Spoke to the service dept - 48 hours apparently. Alternator Recall work can take anything from 25 mins to 3 hrs dependant on model, apparently.

Last edited:
Check if AUDI A4 <REMOVED< has outstanding recalls

Outstanding recall found
This vehicle has been recalled since at least 15 October 2020.

Contact a AUDI dealership to arrange for repairs.

If you've had the recalled component repaired recently, it can take up to 3 weeks for the manufacturer to update their records.

This information is provided by the vehicle manufacturer. If you think the information is wrong, contact the vehicle manufacturer's dealership. Please do not contact the DVSA, as we are not able to change the recall status.

Heard nothing from my dealer , but checking https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/ I got the above

I received the second letter last week and the car is now booked in for the work to be carried out on the 23rd of this month. The letter states that it should take about 1 hour.

(Just to confirm that mine took 3 weeks for the recall work to show on my Digital Service Record on “My Audi” - as the post a couple above would suggest. Dealer had told me 48 hrs).

Any idea what's the old vs new part number for the alternator?