Safe mode after earthing pin 1 for dis

typertony

Reaction score
I have installed a dis wiper stalk to my b6 avant.

I fitted the the stalk and the washer bottle warning came on.

I then hen took the blue plug from the clocks and spliced an earth to pin on (brown and red I think).

now when I start the car it will only run for 2 seconds and says safe under the speedo.

Also all of the warnings for the sensors are showing.

Could i have blown something when I earthed pin one?

cheers

I've removed the earth but no change.

Now the safe mode is gone and the car runs fine but I still have the screen wash, coolant and fuel warnings.

Could i I have pulled the earths for the sensors out by misstake while messing around under the dash?

remove the battery and leave it off for 15 minutes and see if it resets itself
if this doesnt work id be tempted to get it scanned and see if anything is showing up

are you really sure you got pin 1 ?<br>
and was it the blub plug on the clocks ?<br><br>you say you slpiced into pin 1 the b6 doesnt normaly have a wire in there and you have to fit your own thats why i ask was it pin 1

It was the blue plug with purple clip on the left of the clocks, looking from the drivers seat.

Im sure it was marked as 1 on the plug and had a brown and red wire already in there.

I will double check but I'm sure it was pin 1

sounds strange it went to safe when you earthed
and went normal when it removed the wire
when i have done a b6 and its had a wire and that was only once i cut the wire and earth i never splice into it

Would it be worth me cutting the wire after the join so that the plug is earthed but the loom isn't?

make sure its number 1 first
or take a pic of the plug and post it up

I'm with Bez101 on this

Pin one should be empty if you have a wire in it then this will go to the washer sensor if fitted if not fitted then you wont have a wire in pin 1

check your work

null_zpsdf9f703e.jpg

null_zps63738ea3.jpg

not the best pics but you get the idea. You can see a 1 on the plug.

Im im sure it's pin one of the blue connector. There is a brown wire with a red tag in.

I disconnected the battery while removing the plug and when I restarted the car it's back in safe mode too!

hmmm pretty sure the numbering is on the cover and not on the actual plug!

I remember when I did mine they was all numbered not just 1 of them!

on the ones iv done its had a number on each corner of the blue part
take a pic with the cover on it
or NHN may pop by to advise

I will double check the numbering on the blue plug but I'm sure it said that the pin I spliced was number 1.

Ive found a couple of post where people are have similar problems and it's the blue plug not pushed in fully or the green one has come loose while working under the dash.

Could it be something as simple as that or maybe a bad earth?

on the ones iv done its had a number on each corner of the blue part
take a pic with the cover on it
or NHN may pop by to advise

yeah thats exactly how I was thinking it was

When i did mine there was deffo numbers on the blue plug albeit they where v small and there was no wire in pin 1. When i put the plug back in it didn't seat properly and i had all sorts of warnings flashing up,oil, brakes everything. Unplug and reseat and everything was good

I'm officially a numpty!

it was that the plug wasn't fully home.

All working now.

I'm officially a numpty!

it was that the plug wasn't fully home.

All working now.

Glad your all sorted now, i have been following this as i have had all the parts to do this mod for ages now and i really must get on and do it.