"SAFE" displayed on A3 2005 Sportback instrument cluster

Shades_RS

Reaction score
Just purchased a 2005 (55) Sportback from insurance. it's a 2.0 Tdi with DSG. Car came to me with totally flat battery, but apparently running and driving before hand.

I have charged the battery and noticed "SAFE" displayed on instrument cluster above mileage. Also glow plug light flashes and active hazards (alarm) car will start but soon cuts out after a few seconds.

Also elec windows won't work and key fob had the guts missing although little solenoid thing me jig is in place. I've swapped over internal button controls with a spare fob and fitted a new fob battery to be sure. Key fob flashes constant when pressed once, so tried again and cluster still displays "SAFE"

I've plugged in a standard diagnostics and immobiliser is mentioned. Will the key need coding as it's possible lost it's code or will I need the main immobiliser coded? If so how can I do this? And is it main dealer only? If so does anyone know a rough price? I also know for a spare 140BKD ECU etc from another car of same year but 6speed manual. Would any of this work as an alternative?

Your help is really appreciated. Many thanks guys.

when you say guts were missing could it be the transponder chip is aswell? that would explain the SAFE its immo kicking in

Hi Phil, the Transponder chip was in place, a small black cylinder shaped thing in top corner of fob, the guts that were missing was the green circuit board to operate buttons which has now been replaced.

Hi Phil, the Transponder chip was in place, a small black cylinder shaped thing in top corner of fob, the guts that were missing was the green circuit board to operate buttons which has now been replaced.

Hmm, if it was me id get VCDS plugged in, it will prob bring up and immo code, id then get a locksmith out to poss recode a key

A friend is popping down with what I believe is VCDS, he programmed my DRL's. Can a key be programmed through VCDS or is its a totally separate system?
So you think the key has possibly lost it's code Phil?

Nope, someone has tampered with the dash eeprom in order to clock the car hence no start !

So how do I fix this? I don't know why anyone would want to clock a 2005 A3 Tdi showing 96k, miles seem ok considering year

Nope, someone has tampered with the dash eeprom in order to clock the car hence no start !
a sweeping statement, and poss, what is the mileage and why was it in a recovery yard/bought from one?

Pic clearly shows car running, and No "SAFE" displayed prior to sale. The guy who transported car back for me had mentioned that the ignition had been left on, or key was in "on" position when picked up with dead battery
df1a3cd5d36708b3792d8683d29d714a.jpg

1 owner car and Miles are good which clearly show that car hasn't been clocked prior to purchase as surely "SAFE" would also be displayed in pic while engine is running. Well I hope it hasn't been clocked, either way I really need to fix this problem. Nothing worse

Hi Shades RS. If I was you I would have a chat with your local Audi dealer and see if they can help you out.Show them all the documents for the car(just to prove its not stolen)..This may be a costly option but at least they should be able to help out..Anyway it costs nothing to ask:encouragement:.Probably not what you wanted hear but I can,t think of another answer for you...Good luck Paul.....

Cheers Paul, looks like audi it is then, can't believe nobody has any proper info on this? Shocking!!

The problem is the transponder code doesn't match the code in the clocks . It's either a wrong /broken transponder . Or the key needs re-adapting to the car . You can delete the immobiliser from the ecu to get the car to run .but it will still display safe in the dash until you get the key recoded to the car .

I'd like to point out that Adamss24 sweeping statement was totally wrong. It's turned out to be some sort of device fitted to the car for company/leasing/finance reasons, I assume this worked as a tracker & immobiliser, and also the guts of the key were found amongst this system so possibly used to lock doors etc? when the company came out to remove this device all they done was cut the antenna off the bunch of idiots.
So managed chase all wires back to the transponder loom to disconnect and loop back up as per factory. All working now

Reactions: nross33
Good result Shades:icon thumright: Glad it was all sorted.Just wondering if you took my advice and went to Audi for any help? If so what did they say? cheers Paul....

Cheers Paul, I rang audi and they said it would cost £60 to put on machine then they babbled on about having new clocks and this that and the other.. So basically I said don't worry I'll sort it, guaranteed I would have walked out of there with a £1000 plus bill. Dealers are all the same! I'm glad it's sorted though, well chuffed.

I'd like to point out that Adamss24 sweeping statement was totally wrong. It's turned out to be some sort of device fitted to the car for company/leasing/finance reasons, I assume this worked as a tracker & immobiliser, and also the guts of the key were found amongst this system so possibly used to lock doors etc? when the company came out to remove this device all they done was cut the antenna off the bunch of idiots.
So managed chase all wires back to the transponder loom to disconnect and loop back up as per factory. All working now
Good you found out the cause ! It's very difficult to troubleshoot electrical issues without being physically next to the car but the kind of issue you had is consistent with clocking- cheap tools of ebay will scramble the data inside the EEPROM which will result in a non start condition. As you just bought it from an auction/breakers- clocking is common practice hence the suggestion !

Thanks for the comment myke but a company had turned off the tracking immobiliser device which was fitted to the vehicle. They forgot to remove it before the car was sold. But you wasn't a million miles away as it was linked to the transponder etc..