SAFE BUT BEST PERFORMANCE REMAP??

rhysdavies91

Reaction score
Right might be a sticky subject but.....
APR... MRC... REVO... LITCHFIELD... UNICORN.

who can get the most performance out of an 2016 RS3 but being safe a the same time,
my friend took his to a non branded garage and it messed up his transfer box and has a £7000 bill to pay..

I would be running Milltek turbo back high flow cat, wagner evo 1 intercooler and induction kit..

i had a Revo stage 2+ S3 running 385bhp although revo are good and safe they make a generic map which they dont get the full potential out of the car....

thanks

Usually MRC, APR for me. Although i have recently put on the Racing line map on my RS3 Saloon which i am very pleased with so far. I will do a separate post about this soon but i have to say its strong and i suspect the draggy results to be very impressive.

ok thank you... ill check out racing line as iv never heard of them.!

Had my car running 500+ bhp for 5000 miles now from MRC. No issues what so ever

Reactions: AudiNutta
i think you'll find Revo and APR are generic files uploaded to your car and you drive away, MRC load a stage 1 map and spend an hour plus on the dyno tuning it to your car.

but who am I to give you advise on where you go.

Reactions: T-800

Well actually it's not exactly a plug n play and drive away map as Doc should be well aware of after having his previous car satisfactorily mapped by MRC.
Monopole had a stage 1 MRC tune a couple of weeks back and his car spent around an hour and quarter on the dyno with Doug checking out boost, fueling etc and making a few tweaks such as adding pops/bangs (which they did not charge extra for either). His dyno sheet shows the power run as being run 4. If Steve had an intake upgrade or other mods it would have probably taken a bit longer.
On the same day my car with the IC and HG intake had 11 runs recorded on my dyno sheet.

APR have spent many hours developing their offerings for the FL car and are also well up there as one of the leaders for remaps on the RS3/TTRS DAZA engines. Given the recent results of the stage 1 tunes, it will be interesting to see what the soon to be released stage 2 delivers (should be impressive).

Yes, MRC and some APR and revo dealers will log the car on road and on dyno to make sure there aren’t any significant dyno pulls.

I went Stage 1 APR a few weeks ago, generic file but it spent an hour and a half on the dyno with at least 10 runs. This was checking boost, timing, corrections, fuelling etc and of course the dyno runs themselves. Awesome
GTI do the same with APR as do many revo dealers.

A Stage 1 should never ever be just plug and play with no testing of all the parameters.

I have always went MRC, this is the first time I’ve tried something different with APR and no complaints with either tuner. The only slight negative about MRC is that Mihnea is never in the U.K. doing the tuning anymore and hence the generic Stage 1 files. He’s the master at MRC and an unbelievable tuner. Probably the reason why he is jetsetting around the world tuning all sorts of exotica.

I would imagine all Stage 1 tuning from
The top tuners will be very very similar. It then comes down to support, location, price etc as the next priorities. For me, MRC is a 900 mile round trip and at the moment on the TTRS, they don’t offer the map switching so I found it an easy decision to go to APR which is about a 150 mile round trip.

On this platform, there’s no denying APR and revo have done their homework with extensive testing and R&D, over 12 months of global data gathering.

Last edited:
Reactions: AudiNutta
Well actually it's not exactly a plug n play and drive away map as Doc should be well aware of after having his previous car satisfactorily mapped by MRC.
Monopole had a stage 1 MRC tune a couple of weeks back and his car spent around an hour and quarter on the dyno with Doug checking out boost, fueling etc and making a few tweaks such as adding pops/bangs (which they did not charge extra for either). His dyno sheet shows the power run as being run 4. If Steve had an intake upgrade or other mods it would have probably taken a bit longer.
On the same day my car with the IC and HG intake had 11 runs recorded on my dyno sheet.

APR have spent many hours developing their offerings for the FL car and are also well up there as one of the leaders for remaps on the RS3/TTRS DAZA engines. Given the recent results of the stage 1 tunes, it will be interesting to see what the soon to be released stage 2 delivers (should be impressive).
This was certainly my understanding, hence my surprise.

Yes, MRC and some APR and revo dealers will log the car on road and on dyno to make sure there aren’t any significant dyno pulls.

I went Stage 1 APR a few weeks ago, generic file but it spent an hour and a half on the dyno with at least 10 runs. This was checking boost, timing, corrections, fuelling etc and of course the dyno runs themselves. Awesome
GTI do the same with APR as do many revo dealers.

A Stage 1 should never ever be just plug and play with no testing of all the parameters.

I have always went MRC, this is the first time I’ve tried something different with APR and no complaints with either tuner. The only slight negative about MRC is that Mihnea is never in the U.K. doing the tuning anymore and hence the generic Stage 1 files. He’s the master at MRC and an unbelievable tuner. Probably the reason why he is jetsetting around the world tuning all sorts of exotica.

I would imagine all Stage 1 tuning from
The top tuners will be very very similar. It then comes down to support, location, price etc as the next priorities. For me, MRC is a 900 mile round trip and at the moment on the TTRS, they don’t offer the map switching so I found it an easy decision to go to APR which is about a 150 mile round trip.

On this platform, there’s no denying APR and revo have done their homework with extensive testing and R&D, over 12 months of global data gathering.

Mihnea personally did the mapping on Steve's PFL car, super smooth and fast too. MRC are still pretty good at what they do though. The switchable maps will be available in a month or two, Steve and I were asked if we would like to trial their prototype version.

I actually think that APR have moved the game on with the tuning on this particular engine, probably as a benefit from the rivalry in the States between Custom Code (Iroz tuned cars) and the loyal APR customers. Like you Leo, I am also tempted by something different and I eagerly await to see what the stage 2 APR tune delivers, especially as my next mod is likely to be the addition of a down pipe.

Reactions: T-800 and Leo-RS
I personally went down the MRC route, i think mapping is very much a personal choice. Had some issues with mine with heatsoak (not ideal mapping a car in 33oc weather) but Doug persisted and over all very happy

What sort of mileage do you guys with remaps do per day?

I do around 80 miles a day and as much as I would love to make it stage 2, I can't afford for it to go wrong?

I do 50 miles per day on average. Sometimes a lot more. A proper tune should in theory be as safe, if not more so, than stock.

I did with my Revo stage 1 5000 miles till now, better consumption, engine is smoother , car is consistent . I pushed my car on Alps 10min uphill oil temp was safe , car was pulling after 10min same like first pull. So yes i am very happy and with REVO on these DAZA engines u cant miss it. We loged cars from 0-300kmh , 200-300kmh so we see EGT is safe, lambda consisent , boost. Car performs just as stock with more power.

100-200kmh 7.6-8.0 depends on fuel , heat , hummid etc.

Reactions: FBF01
I did with my Revo stage 1 5000 miles till now, better consumption, engine is smoother , car is consistent . I pushed my car on Alps 10min uphill oil temp was safe , car was pulling after 10min same like first pull. So yes i am very happy and with REVO on these DAZA engines u cant miss it. We loged cars from 0-300kmh , 200-300kmh so we see EGT is safe, lambda consisent , boost. Car performs just as stock with more power.

100-200kmh 7.6-8.0 depends on fuel , heat , hummid etc.
O-300 kmh, they must have good roads in Croatia
We’d get locked up over here in Australia for even half that speed.

Reactions: AudiNutta and Seanix
Not consider the JB4? Sure Burger Motorsports are releasing a unit soon, next month or so! Something to consider. What I’m interested in. Great reputation and a lot of rave reviews from those running them on Golf Rs, GTIs and M lites

Not consider the JB4? Sure Burger Motorsports are releasing a unit soon, next month or so! Something to consider. What I’m interested in. Great reputation and a lot of rave reviews from those running them on Golf Rs, GTIs and M lites
Problem is now that Audi can apparently detect tuning boxes. If that is really true (and there's always a lot of hearsay with these things) then the USP and one big reason for getting a tuning box is gone.

Reactions: Deep penetrator and FBF01
There's far more qualified people on here who can probably explain better. However, certainly places like MRC that are putting custom tunes on cars should be set up better than an off the shelf Audi map that's got to work in places like South Africa with poor fuel and high temperatures and altitudes, as well as the UK.

Reactions: E15 and Deep penetrator

I’m extremely familiar with JB4 as I’ve had it on the M135i, M4, M3 etc.
Great bit of kit and is so much more than a tuning box. It offers different maps on the fly to suit your hardware state, open and close valves at anytime, data logging, fault reading and clearing, meth inj maps of which can all be done via the control stalk of your steering wheel or the best option is with the Rev3 Bluetooth kit on the JB4 app, the customer service is excellent and with constant firmware updates it’s continually being superseded so I highly recommend it. However we all know that a remap provides superior results.

Anybody thinking of the JB4 you won’t be disappointed, I was waiting for this but it kept getting pushed back a month until I didn’t want to wait anymore.

Reactions: E15 and FBF01
Usually MRC, APR for me. Although i have recently put on the Racing line map on my RS3 Saloon which i am very pleased with so far. I will do a separate post about this soon but i have to say its strong and i suspect the draggy results to be very impressive.
Anymore thoguths in the Racingline map after you've had it for a while. Did you have TCU as well?

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

I will bet people do this to hide the tune from car dealers and insurance. Issue is, if you have a crash then the insurer will find it and at best they will invlidate your insurance, at worst you could land in trouble with the police/courts.

Always, inform your insurer of mods. I worked in insuance decades agao and even in those days they would refuse to pay out if you didnt declare mods.

Hi.
If anyone ever needs any help with insurance at all for a re-map then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.

Reactions: garethdj
Hi.
If anyone ever needs any help with insurance at all for a re-map then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.
Can't seem to direct message you. Interested to know how you'd compare for me.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Had my car running 500+ bhp for 5000 miles now from MRC. No issues what so ever
Sorry to drag this one from the past but is yours pfl? If so, what mods and what cost? Thinking I wouldn't mind 500bhp in mine.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

Hi.
Regards,
Dan.
I tried to get a quote with you guys and it was an absolute nightmare on a stock car. Constantly being told to expect a call-back, never getting one. Waiting for days, tried calling a few times ... nothing. Only to be told I couldn't get a quote because I lived in Manchester town center (in a secure, locked, underground car-park).
Useless.

Hi.
I'm really sorry to hear about your experience with ourselves and that we could't offer anything competitive.
Regards,
Dan.