Sachs organic clutch just installed. Thoughts

It’s definitely improved since I first got it. Hopefully it will continue. And I really hope the jolt between 1st and second settles too. Although I prob shouldn’t be thrashing 1st any way

This is the kit I bought.
http://www.clutchstop.co.uk/product...agen-audi-seat-skoda-02q-6-speed-gearbox.html

The reason I bought this kit is because a lot of people who have fitted it say it as close to oem as you will get but I'm finding it the opposite

Very hard pedal.. I'll get used to that
It's the almost instant biting point and the 'on or off' clutch action that's getting me down.
I know I still have to bed it in but I can't imagine it changing too much. And I'm guessing there's no way to adjust the biting point as it's hydraulic

I emailed the company I bought it off and they say the pedal should be stiffer but the biting point should be more or less the same so I dunno

Hmm maybe my original clutch was worn hence the different feel

I had a Spec 2+ Clutch & Steel SMF, 42 DD bracket shifter bushings, 42 DD shifter bushing kit, a new OEM sliding shoe (6Q0 711 550) and Powerflex dogbone fitted last Wednesday/Thursday at Storm Developments.

I've only done 50 miles so far out of the 500 miles I was advised by both Spec and Storm to let the new clutch and flywheel bed in. So I know it's early doors but here are my current findings:
  • The clutch pedal is much heavier (I knew it would be slightly heavier, but this is more than I thought it would be, nothing chronic though)
  • The biting point is an inch (if that) from the floor (I expect this will get higher in time but my OEM clutch was way higher, so again not what I was expecting, however like you mine may have been excessively worn)
  • Judder when reversing really slowly (expecting/hoping this will go)
  • No chatter at all (I'm really surprised by this one)
  • Lovely, nice & smooth gear changes from 1-6
I hate having to drive it like a granny but it's obviously worth the pain, so I can't wait to actually start ragging it about in a month's time to see about high rev gear changes.

Reactions: samuelh_888 and S.
I had a Spec 2+ Clutch & Steel SMF, 42 DD bracket shifter bushings, 42 DD shifter bushing kit, a new OEM sliding shoe (6Q0 711 550) and Powerflex dogbone fitted last Wednesday/Thursday at Storm Developments.

I've only done 50 miles so far out of the 500 miles I was advised by both Spec and Storm to let the new clutch and flywheel bed in. So I know it's early doors but here are my current findings:
  • The clutch pedal is much heavier (I knew it would be slightly heavier, but this is more than I thought it would be, nothing chronic though)
  • The biting point is an inch (if that) from the floor (I expect this will get higher in time but my OEM clutch was way higher, so again not what I was expecting, however like you mine may have been excessively worn)
I hate having to drive it like a granny but it's obviously worth the pain, so I can't wait to actually start ragging it about in a month's time to see about high rev gear changes.

That's interesting to hear because other people say the pedal on the spec 3+ is just as light as the oem pedal to the point you wouldn't even know it's a performance clutch installed, I thought the 2+ would almost be the same

Really hope you don't suffer from the high rpm change into 4th .

That's interesting to hear because other people say the pedal on the spec 3+ is just as light as the oem pedal to the point you wouldn't even know it's a performance clutch installed, I thought the 2+ would almost be the same

I'm a 100 miles in now and to be fair the stiffness has already reduced, so I imagine after the next few hundred miles it will then feel pretty similar to stock.

I've got used to the biting point as well so that's no longer an issue, however the only thing I'm not still not liking is the judder when reversing slowly and slight judder when creeping in traffic in 1st. I know it's early doors still so this should calm down.

Only if I have no music playing and there's no noise around then can I hear the slightest of chatter when in neutral but honestly, it's really not that bad and barely noticeable. So I genuinely wouldn't let this put people off going with a SMF setup, because this was a big factor for me leaning towards a DMF and I'm glad I stuck with the Spec 2+. Not sure what it's like with other products but the Spec range is spot on.

I will do a final review after 1000K.

Really hope you don't suffer from the high rpm change into 4th .

Fingers crossed, I will let you know.

Did you manage to sort yours in the end and if so, what was the cause/fix?

Last edited:
Thought I'd do an update after 2000 miles

The clutch is solid.. there is no denying that.

Biting point never really changed. It's still very low. I've got used to it now and the pedal is still very heavy. My left thigh is like Popeyes now.

1st gear in traffic isn't very nice and is pretty tedious to be honest.

Reversing up hills etc still stinks of burning most of the time.

Fast gear changes in high revs can be very jerky due to the on/off feel of the clutch. I have replaced the dog bone mount and will look in to doing the engine mounts as they could be a contributing factor

Overall although the clutch is solid and will probably never slip when putting the power down but at a price. The overall driving experience is not very nice now. I almost wish I stayed on stock power and original clutch

Reactions: S.
Reading all this has worried me as I want to start gathering my stage 2+ parts this year.

Reading all this has worried me as I want to start gathering my stage 2+ parts this year.
The thing is, lots of others have the same setup and don't really have the same complaints. Maybe I have a faulty part involved even though I replaced the whole lot brand new. Unfortunately it's not a case of being able to check it out very easily.

Biting point never really changed. It's still very low. I've got used to it now and the pedal is still very heavy. My left thigh is like Popeyes now.

Fast gear changes in high revs can be very jerky due to the on/off feel of the clutch. I have replaced the dog bone mount and will look in to doing the engine mounts as they could be a contributing factor

Overall although the clutch is solid and will probably never slip when putting the power down but at a price. The overall driving experience is not very nice now. I almost wish I stayed on stock power and original clutch

Shame to hear that you're not enjoying the uprated Sachs organic clutch & LUK DMF, I am really surprised to hear of the characteristics you're describing as this setup is supposed to be the most similar to stock out there.

As there was some talk of the Sachs clutch & LOBA SMF on the first page then I forgot which kit you actually had fitted (despite the title!) so apologies about commenting on my Spec 2+ clutch & Steel SMF, I was trying to share my experience with what I thought was a very similar setup to you!

It must be really frustrating as you've invested heavily in to what is normally a solid bit of kit as well as have it fitted by a professional, but something does definitely not seem right. I'm 600 miles in now and the biting point is only a bit lower than OEM and the pedal is hardly any heavier now so feels like stock again to be honest. I still get judder in reverse at certain revs and there's the very odd time I have difficulty getting out of 1st at low revs (especially on an incline) but I've been told that both of these will subside in the miles to come.

You're 2000 miles in now so whilst the new clutch & flywheel have pretty much bedded in, there is still some more time for them to fully synergise, however I'd possibly take it back to Audi and ask to have the technician come out with you whilst you drive it and then allow them to have a feel for them-self.

Which clutch and flywheel are you looking at getting? Below are the most common:

Spec 2+/3+ Clutch & Steel SMF - Have seen quite a few fitted and are bulletproof, all solid reviews but only one had an issue getting into 4th at high RPM but I'm not having this issue with mine
Sachs Clutch & LOBA SMF - Has been a popular choice and deals with stage 2+ torque well, however there has been a lot of reports of difficulty changing gears at high RPM
Sachs Organic Clutch/Helix Clutch & LUK DMF - The most popular choices as they're meant to be very similar to stock, this thread is the first I've seen a complaint with the feel of it, have seen 4/5 other threads where it started to slip at stage 2+ but then Alex' lasted to 440lbs

Last edited:
Yeah it is a shame alright. Unfortunately there's a serious lack of s cars here in Ireland let alone one with the same clutch setup for me to compare. If I could try the same setup in someone else's car I'd be able to determine whether there's something wrong with mine or whether it's right and I'm just whinging

@HHS3 Im still undecided I would want as close to OEM as possible but more importantly would neee it to last so would I be looking at Sachs performance clutch with a single mass fly wheel. Would like to keep with a duel mass but if it’s stikl going to slip at 2+ then it’s pointless.

What would you recommend and is there much in terms of price

Yeah it is a shame alright. Unfortunately there's a serious lack of s cars here in Ireland let alone one with the same clutch setup for me to compare. If I could try the same setup in someone else's car I'd be able to determine whether there's something wrong with mine or whether it's right and I'm just whinging

Ah I see your predicament, well hope you manage to get it sorted out one way or another mate. Keep us posted!

@HHS3 Im still undecided I would want as close to OEM as possible but more importantly would neee it to last so would I be looking at Sachs performance clutch with a single mass fly wheel. Would like to keep with a duel mass but if it’s still going to slip at 2+ then it’s pointless.

What would you recommend and is there much in terms of price

If you want as close to OEM as possible then I'd recommend the Sachs or Helix clutch & LUK DMF which is also the cheapest. I've only seen 4/5 cases online where people say this kit has slipped at stage 2+ which is a small minority compared to the amount of people who commented saying it works fine. S3Alex used to run this and it coped to 440lbs at stage 3 so luck of the draw I guess because this is also the first thread I've seen someone not happy with the feel of the kit itself.

Going for a SMF setup then definitely a Spec clutch & steel SMF, it has a much higher success rate as the Sachs clutch & LOBA SMF rev changing issue is a well known common fault.

Last edited:

Pretty much exactly the same as mine behaves and mines the same setup. 10k miles later and it's still no better. I think it's also ruined the flywheel as that's juddering due to the harshness of the clutch. Wished I'd gone spec now

Reactions: S.
Pretty much exactly the same as mine behaves and mines the same setup. 10k miles later and it's still no better. I think it's also ruined the flywheel as that's juddering due to the harshness of the clutch. Wished I'd gone spec now
Well that's interesting to know. I'm (not) glad someone else is having similar issues. What are you planning to do about it?

I was considering paying my Audi tech to take the whole lot apart and have a look and see if everything is healthy. However if something was wrong I would like to have a replacement part on standby to remedy it.

Out of curiosity, where did you buy your kit from?

Oh, and what do you mean by spec?

Well that's interesting to know. I'm (not) glad someone else is having similar issues. What are you planning to do about it?

I was considering paying my Audi tech to take the whole lot apart and have a look and see if everything is healthy. However if something was wrong I would like to have a replacement part on standby to remedy it.

Out of curiosity, where did you buy your kit from?

Oh, and what do you mean by spec?
I don't personally think there's anything wrong with the kit at all, it's just how other people describe the kit is incorrect. You find that on forums when people pile thousands of pounds into their modifications they don't like to talk about the negative sides so they just say it's "not that bad". They say it feels and behaves like stock because of the engaging characteristics the clutch has, it doesn't behave like a paddle clutch etc.

I won't be doing anything about it, don't see the point in ripping it out until it's really necessary. I don't personally think it'll last overly long anyway as the biting point is already around half way up the pedal and the car has never been launched off the line since I've had it because it's not my style of driving. That and the flywheel that was brand new will need replacing at some point I would have thought due to the harshness of the engagement this clutch seems to have. When it was first fitted engaging the clutch shook the whole car until it died down a bit and I would say quite a bit of the damage was done then. My opinion is the clutch is more suited to a solid flywheel setup.

Can't remember where i got it from now, was one of the well known suppliers on here though I think.

hi. So after remapping my clutch was slipping so I upgraded to the Sachs organic clutch and also replaced the oem luk flywheel. I picked it up off my mechanic today and I have noticed the following....

1. The clutch pedal is giving my left thigh a serious workout.
2. The biting point is now about an inch from the floor.
3. The gear change from 1st to second is pretty clunky. (Could be me just not used to the new biting point)

I'm just wondering if anyone else with this setup has the same and will it get a bit softer over time.
Obviously I'm going to bed it in nice and easy for a couple of hundred miles.
Hi Buzzman. Here a reply from Holland about the same issue. My garage installed a Sachs performance + new dual mass flyweel (brand is Luk) last week and I noticed exactly the same. When I picked up my S3 the pedal felt really heavy to press. Although I train my Calves every week in the gym, it did not feel comfortable at all. Today, 7 days later I think the pedal is going a little lighter, and perhaps I am getting used to it. Yesterday I asked my partner if she noticed a less hard pedal, but she did not noticed any change. I hope it will be (for her) better in the next couple thousand kilometers, but we will see how the clutch wil do. I will let you know in the coming weeks

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G930F met Tapatalk