Sachs clutch

br20vt

Reaction score
Hi,

After considering selling the S3 many times, I have decided to keep it and finally replace the clutch!
(APR 2+)
Can any of you supply me with the part number for the uprated sachs clutch and DMF kit as my mechanic is going to try and get me the best price possible.

Thanks in advance.

Have you considered the Spec stage 3 clutch, not got one myself but very close OEM feel and haven't heard of any failures running 2+ power through them. Uses a SMF but this could be a better investment, @S3Alex runs this with loads more power going through it.

Reactions: S3Alex and Smirky
Have you considered the Spec stage 3 clutch, not got one myself but very close OEM feel and haven't heard of any failures running 2+ power through them. Uses a SMF but this could be a better investment, @S3Alex runs this with loads more power going through it.
I run a spec 3 + and it is superb ! But expensive
If you are staying at stage 2+ numbers then the spec 2+ should handle it easily ,not sure about launches etc as its a diff material to the 3+ (carbon metallic) requires no bedding in etc where as the 2+ does ,
When I spoke to spec they were extremely helpful and said the 2+ has the same oem feel ,I choose the 3+ purely because I can abuse it at my power level and it just gobbles it up with no fuss and I don't have to worry about it

Attachments

• IMAG0351.jpg
    IMAG0351.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 280
  • IMAG0352.jpg
    IMAG0352.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 353
Reactions: HHS3
Spec 2+ is still a full-face clutch and will not grab in the way a paddle type does so may be a good choice,but torque level is lower,although it is significantly cheaper.

Reactions: HHS3 and Smirky
To be honest im looking for a clutch that will be fine with 2+ power (no launches). Im not keen on going smf as heard lots about them sounding like a bag of hammers on idle? Can anyone provide me part numbers for the sachs unit?

Reactions: S.
To be honest im looking for a clutch that will be fine with 2+ power (no launches). Im not keen on going smf as heard lots about them sounding like a bag of hammers on idle? Can anyone provide me part numbers for the sachs unit?
My smf isn't to bad don't really notice it anymore

If you are staying at stage 2+ numbers then the spec 2+ should handle it easily

Spec 2+ is still a full-face clutch and will not grab in the way a paddle type does so may be a good choice,but torque level is lower,although it is significantly cheaper.

I've recently gone Revo Stage 1 with a Revo CAI which is a lot of fun, however my clutch has started slipping when giving it the beans. Stage 2+ is on the cards but that won't be for another year or two and I've currently got down that I'll be needing a Sachs Organic Clutch & LUK DMF.

Whilst the Sachs & LUK seems to be ok for most at Stage 2+, there has been quite a few complaints from people stating that their clutch is slipping. It tends to be people who are running the more aggressive maps from the likes of APR as they are getting more torque then those from Revo. I can't afford to purchase two clutch kits so I'm just debating whether it is worth the risk or do I just save up that bit more for a Spec clutch & SMF instead.

A bigger turbo and Stage 3 will not be happening at all and when I do go Stage 2+, I'll be getting a custom map from Storm Developments. So as I'm getting a custom map do you think I'll be alright with Sachs or is the extra £450 for a Spec well worth it? To and from work during the weekdays I'm a relatively tame driver (in my opinion :grin:) but at night and the weekends is when I give it some, I've heard that the Sachs doesn't like drag starts or being thrashed so I'm now leaning towards the Spec.

Spec is US based company but backdraftmotorsport is a UK dealer, who did you guys purchase your Spec gear from? I'm only going Stage 2+ which will not see above 400lbs, so the Spec 2 clutch should suffice but the Spec 2+ is only an extra £50 so I'd be tempted to go for that if I go Spec - just checking that the following is correct? http://www.backdraftmotorsport.com/store/drive-train/ktm-spec-clutch-with-smf

I've just seen the Loba uprated clutch which even though it isn't rated as highly to only 405lbs, this is all I need, so for a couple hundred pounds cheaper I might go for this instead http://www.jbsautodesigns.co.uk/product/4225/lobasachs-vag-20-tfsi-tdi-stage-2-upgrade-clutch-kit

Thanks.

Last edited:
Spec is as you say,US based,but both Backdraft and AMDTuning are dealers.

I was the first to buy a Spec clutch here,and had AMD import one for me,which has worked fautlessly for at least 3 yrs now.
There have been problems with the Loba clutch not releasing properly at high rpm so I would be very careful of that.

Reactions: HHS3
Spec is as you say,US based,but both Backdraft and AMDTuning are dealers.

I was the first to buy a Spec clutch here,and had AMD import one for me,which has worked fautlessly for at least 3 yrs now.
There have been problems with the Loba clutch not releasing properly at high rpm so I would be very careful of that.

That's handy to know about the Loba clutch.

Given my driving style, I've come to the conclusion that I'm probably best off just getting the Spec 2+ clutch kit, even though it's the most expensive option by some margin, it's the most reliable.

@S3Alex I've had a look on AMD's website so unless I'm being blind, I can't see Spec hardware for the S3?

Last edited:
Reactions: Smirky and S3Alex
That's handy to know about the Loba clutch.

Given my driving style, I've come to the conclusion that I'm probably best off just getting the Spec 2+ clutch kit, even though it's the most expensive option by some margin, it's the most reliable.

@S3Alex I've had a look on AMD's website so unless I'm being blind, I can't see Spec hardware for the S3?
I too got mind supplied and fitted by amd ,if you are going to go for a spec remember you may get customs charges to pay ,
Amd website is crap they sell and do loads of stuff that ain't on there site bit old school it seems ,
Give Ben a ring top bloke

Reactions: HHS3 and S3Alex
As above.

Give Ben a call and they'll sort it for you.

I too got mind supplied and fitted by amd ,if you are going to go for a spec remember you may get customs charges to pay ,
Amd website is **** they sell and do loads of stuff that ain't on there site bit old school it seems ,
Give Ben a ring top bloke

Give Ben a call and they'll sort it for you.

Awesome will do, thanks for your help guys.

Reactions: S3Alex
Stay away from loba. Unless you want problematic shifting at high rpm.

Stay away from loba. Unless you want problematic shifting at high rpm.

I've seen a few comments on here and other forums regarding the Loba Sachs clutch kit issue. Someone wrote to Loba who then forwarded it onto Sachs who came back with the following response:

You’ve purchased a Performance clutch module which is designed for highly tuned cars based on OE specification.

The Performance product range of ZF Race Engineering is based on applications and nearly by 90% a 1 by 1 replacement to the OE clutches.

But with this module, you have chosen a solid steel flywheel which is thought as a replacement of the dual mass flywheel. The dual mass flywheel itself is the most important vibrational eliminating system in the powertrain. But unfortunately with performance tuning of the engine, the part could be a weak point and may be overloaded by the power. This replacement could cause shifting problems at higher revs. Because all other components in the OE car are designed and aligned onto each other. We figured out that the mainshaft of some cars with 02M transmission are not stiff enough and a movement of it can not be excluded with the performance clutch module. Especially at higher revs and fast shifting operations.

Therefore we recommend to install a missing washer / shim and to replace the transmission cover. Please find below the corresponding part number of VW:

WHT-001-976 Washer

02M-301-211-B Transmission cover

This 2 components avoids the movement of the mainshaft and you should be able to shift the gears like a racing driver. J

This has apparently worked like a treat on the 02M gearbox according to a couple of people, however this doesn't work with 02Q gearbox.

What gearbox does the 8P have? Mines an 07. After looking on Darkside Developments website it looks like the 02M is for the 8L and the 02Q is the 8P, so not much luck then, pretty poor that there isn't a solution for the 8P to be honest.

Last edited:
I've seen a few comments on here and other forums regarding the Loba Sachs clutch kit issue. Someone wrote to Loba who then forwarded it onto Sachs who came back with the following response:

You’ve purchased a Performance clutch module which is designed for highly tuned cars based on OE specification.

The Performance product range of ZF Race Engineering is based on applications and nearly by 90% a 1 by 1 replacement to the OE clutches.

But with this module, you have chosen a solid steel flywheel which is thought as a replacement of the dual mass flywheel. The dual mass flywheel itself is the most important vibrational eliminating system in the powertrain. But unfortunately with performance tuning of the engine, the part could be a weak point and may be overloaded by the power. This replacement could cause shifting problems at higher revs. Because all other components in the OE car are designed and aligned onto each other. We figured out that the mainshaft of some cars with 02M transmission are not stiff enough and a movement of it can not be excluded with the performance clutch module. Especially at higher revs and fast shifting operations.

Therefore we recommend to install a missing washer / shim and to replace the transmission cover. Please find below the corresponding part number of VW:

WHT-001-976 Washer

This 2 components avoids the movement of the mainshaft and you should be able to shift the gears like a racing driver. J

This has apparently worked like a treat on the 02M gearbox according to a couple of people, however this doesn't work with 02Q gearbox.

What gearbox does the 8P have? Mines an 07. After looking on Darkside Developments website it looks like the 02M is for the 8L and the 02Q is the 8P, so not much luck then, pretty poor that there isn't a solution for the 8P to be honest.
Wonder if they pick up the labour charge for fitting the washer that they missed the kit needing during testing prior to product release ?

It amazes me that the main gearbox input shaft does not have a nose bearing on the engine.

WHT-001-976 Washer

Ah, I had a look at this solution and it isn't for the 8p's. They have the 02Q gearboxes.
Wonder if they pick up the labour charge for fitting the washer that they missed the kit needing during testing prior to product release ?
its fitted outside the gearbox, its a small job (ish) there's a video on youtube.