Sachs clutch to bed in or not to bed in that's the question?

The rated torque specs on clutches are never going to be to the lbft accurate. Some hold more and how its treated in its early life plays a factor with how much it will hold. Perhaps manufacturers conservatively rate them. Id rather not take the risk. A bit of patience and mechanical sympathy and its bedded in. You could do it in a few days if you wanted to.

Absolutely.

I would think they take a minimum figure for the clutches,which most would pass,and go with that.

I'm sure also that bedding in,and relatively sensible use play a great part too,unless you're using a metallic clutch,which needs little if any of that.

I drove around pretty gently on the Sachs until I'd covered about 500 miles,and it did smell pretty hot over the first 100 miles while it settled in.

Anyone know anything about the smell on reversing? Good/bad/normal? It doesnt smell any other time, and my street is quite steep.

Anyone know anything about the smell on reversing? Good/bad/normal? It doesnt smell any other time, and my street is quite steep.

Yeah it's from slipping the clutch, wouldn't say it's great and speeds up the wear on it but what can you do.

Would be worse if it was harder like a Kevlar clutch, where you'd burn a hot spot into it that you wouldn't be able to get rid of.. Main reason I never went with Cg motorsports Kevlar clutch

Reactions: grchmason
Sad times when reversing up your home street burns your clutch out.

Slipping the clutch burns any clutch, you probably only notice it with these because the material stinks when it's burnt.

Reactions: s3_trev and grchmason
Slipping the clutch burns any clutch, you probably only notice it with these because the material stinks when it's burnt.

Amen!!!! No different then my oldman Neighbour using 6k pull away starts in his Merc for last 8 years and still mint! lol!! But is a bit smelly :)

But this is I agree just Clutch slip and Trev you need to start opening the door and letting the clutch out when reversing lol lol!!!!

Reactions: s3_trev