S8 windscreen

Medders

Reaction score
£600 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

My insurance are sorting it, so hopefully I only have the excess to pay !

Anybody confirm or deny this price ?

Paul

That's about right for a heated one, a bit on the high side maybe (€795 here IIRC). If it's not heated it should be less IMO. Prices vary from €500 (£350) - €800 (£560).

Code for the heated one is 4GM by the way (see sticker in service manual). You sure which type you need yet?

mine isn't heated. I thought it sounded a lot.

Is there anything I need to look out for when they're changing it over ?

Paul

Hi Paul,

Make sure the correct type of bonding gunge is used. About 4 years ago I had a 98 R S8 and its screen had been replaced by a non-Audi dealership. I could hear constant clicks and creaks from the dash area and eventually I got the screen replaced by Audi. This stopped all the noise which I think was caused either by the wrong bonding gunge (not flexible enough?), or by part of the screen touching the frame.
As soon as you get it replaced, go for a drive with the heat full on to cause some expansion, and then open up the windows to get the inside really cold. Any clicks or creaks and I would tell them to do it again...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Jon

Oh, and make sure you demand an original screen (with the Audi logo on it), otherwise you may end up with some imitation cr*p... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I phoned my garage to check up on their expectations.
Apparently using a non Audi sourced windscreen can invalidate your warranty (and the stuff they use to bond the windscreen)

Anyway, they took my car away, and i just got a call to say my screen has a photo reflective coating on to reflect heat in summer ! (never knew you could get this, but I am happy!)

Paul