S5 - Wrap vs. Audi Exclusive

Batmike

Reaction score
I am trying to find the pros and cons about either - mainly from cost perspective.

Annoyingly there doesn't seem to be a Black Optics pack / Black edition in sight any time soon so I was tempted to black out the chrome parts by either painting or wrapping. Some companies even seem to be able to wrap the Audi rings - Like Yiannimize in Enfield - although they only do whole car wraps so won't be able to take the car to them just for the chrome parts.

That then got me thinking - how about saving the £2,400 price tag for Audi exclusive color and just wrap the lot. A whole car wrap seem to be anything between £1,500 - £2,500 ... A guy who had his E63 wrapped including blackout stuff paid about £4k (incl. VAT).

But on top of that - what is additional cost for wraps ? I am talking insurance / DVLA etc. ?

I presume a color change would require the DVLA to be notified and also the insurance ..

I found some old posts here were people paid a fortune for just a wrap.

What are people's experience ? Would you rather buy a cheaper color knowing you wrap or just pay the premium and get the color you want?

Whilst we're here - anyone know a wrapping garage that would wrap chrome stuff like the rings / S5 logo / chrome parts etc. ? Thinking anything between say, Kings Lynn and London.

Oh and also - as wrapper remove body panels etc. - would that void any warranty ?

Wrapping should have no effect on insurance etc. Personally I would go with wrapping over paint as the 3M stuff also doubles as a very effective protective layer over your original paint. It also means you can choose a popular paint colour and then go mad with your wrap, knowing that when you go to sell it you can remove the wrap and have a pristine, saleable paint job underneath...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What about warranty though. Doesn't the removal of all those parts void the warranty?

I don’t see why. You aren’t replacing them, just removal and put back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What about warranty though. Doesn't the removal of all those parts void the warranty?

If it was me I would contact Audi UK regarding paint warranty, just to be sure.
If you ended up having problems the last thing you would want would be them saying the wrap caused it or refusing to fix as its wrapped.

With regard to Insurance / DVLA:
It is classed as a temporary change so dont have to record with DVLA
If you want insurance to cover it then I think you declare it as sign writing or graphics (From reading forums)

I just bought a S5 SB and the dealership had a murdered out black model. They have a partner that dips and wraps some of their cars. Audi only allows their dealerships to do this to 1% of their cars. So I got lucky and they had one. Needless to say I bought it. Meet Ventress
c93c4fe448600b86a51546035370a188.jpg

Reactions: SimonAshley, Joetidman and BarryG79
I just bought a S5 SB and the dealership had a murdered out black model. They have a partner that dips and wraps some of their cars. Audi only allows their dealerships to do this to 1% of their cars. So I got lucky and they had one. Needless to say I bought it. Meet Ventress
Nice! Any more pictures?

Very jealous! Almost needs some tinted Lights now..

Reactions: SimonAshley
If it was me I would contact Audi UK regarding paint warranty, just to be sure.
If you ended up having problems the last thing you would want would be them saying the wrap caused it or refusing to fix as its wrapped.

With regard to Insurance / DVLA:
It is classed as a temporary change so dont have to record with DVLA
If you want insurance to cover it then I think you declare it as sign writing or graphics (From reading forums)

6BE06188 3C58 41F0 914B 669DC0698CBA

I saw it it on a tv program a while ago. I also guess it’s some sort of safety precaution if your number plates are ever cloned?
True!
They changed rules in 2014 so probably wasn't that popular before so DVLA not concerned.
Seems very popular now especially if you watch anything on YouTube

I rang DVLA twice - just for my own curiosity. I lost part of my drivers license when going to the UK because I got wrong information (*).

First call effectively matched what https://yiannimize.com/faqs/ says

Screen-Shot-2018-02-25-at-11.46.02.png

Woman told me that permanent colour changes need reporting, but not temporary ones. She compared it to business vans which have huge vinlys on. These wouldn't have clean - cut colour changes as vans for example go from white to huge logos and you can't say 'white has changed to 50% black, 10% red etc. - you get the picture'.

Imagine calling them for that:

harlequin1.jpg

Second call - well said 'needs reporting', temporary or not.

Actually I lied - I called 3 times and third one didn't know and asked to send a letter.

Btw; I called 0300 790 6802 for the V5C hotline.

I suppose in a way you could go with option 3 - print response and leave in car.

What I don't understand is Yiannimize's FAQ - tell police ? I couldn't find any google hits that say that - nor did I find how you would report this to a police (as opposed to DVLA). Anyone heard that before ?

Personally the only people I would tell is my insurance, because if it all goes wrong, they will either pay out or not.

I don’t think the Police would be bothered as long as you had valid insurance.

What I am more interested in, is the subject of the original post! Audi Exclusive or a wrap? As I have been thinking the same thing!

Personally I made my mind up. Wrap. Basically I made my mind up at the moment I was interested into multiple colours.

From day 1 I thought, Nado grey it is. Then I saw a matte purple metallic, then an acid green .Love the look of all of them, especially with chrome to black .

Then I thought, it would be a shame if you end up an expensive colour like Nado grey and wrap it.

So what I have decided, when going for it, I will go with plain black and have it wrapped day 1 .

Then if I change my mind, wrap again, always whilst protecting the black.

Speaking of day 1. I wonder if there are Audi dealers who deliver straight to a wrap shop and then deliver the car to buyer ready wrapped .

Not really. Obviously there is Yiannimize but not sure the cost is justified. Will have to look around and see previous works etc.

And I am still hoping Audi releases the Black Optics in the UK

Where are you based Michael? Got a few local ones near me and a friend works at one, they are wrapping mine in the Daytona Grey matte soon :)

Cambridgeshire / East Anglia .. Someone else just suggested Prestige in West London ... Don't really mind or care where in the UK it is - depending on location I might get a holiday out of it too :)

If you don't mind coming to Sunny (currently very snowy Kent) The guys at identity vehicles will look after you and at a much better price
http://www.identitywraps.co.uk

They did my black optics and will be doing my full wrap too :)

Thanks .I'd appreciate some pics etc. When done ;)

Its going to be in the summer i think, just can't decide on satin black or daytona grey now! Leaning towards the Grey though

yea that's cool. I will either order in Summer - or in a couple of years lol .. I am trying to get out of my current PCP but it seems more complicated and expensive than I thought. So if that won't work out I might have to wait it out - maybe - MAYBE by then Audi releases the Black Optics pack in the UK :)

Did they do your badges as well or just he chrome trims ?