S5 Tyres

DAYTONA 500

Reaction score
My car will need some tyres shortly ,currently on 265/30/20 Continental Sport Contact 3's and thinking of putting Michelin PS2's all round .Your thoughts guys please and any other brand recommendations.

I'm currently running P-Zero's and they're ok in the main, but not particularly consistent at the limits of grip. They're ok, but no big thumbs up from me. MPSS next for me.

Reactions: DAYTONA 500
I've recently had to replace all 4 tyres on my S5, also 20" like yours, it had the Michelins on but I replaced them with Dunlop Sportmaxx GTs. These seem to be a really good tyre and run a lot quieter than the Michelins too.

Reactions: warren_S5 and DAYTONA 500
I had Sportmaxx GT's on my B8 S4 and thought they were a good tyre still plenty of tread left on them after 17k miles,do you prefer them to the Michelins ?.

Michellin Pilot Super Sports get great reviews from those who have them - that would be what I would try next.

I had Sportmaxx GT's on my B8 S4 and thought they were a good tyre still plenty of tread left on them after 17k miles,do you prefer them to the Michelins ?.
Yes I do prefer the Dunlops to the Michelins :thumbsup:

On the S5 I've just came from Michelin Pilot Super Sports which I thought were terrible and very over priced to Continental Sport Contact 5Ps which so far I'm finding really good.

Damian @ DPM Performance

Reactions: warren_S5
What was wrong with the MPSS, road noise? So many other owners swear by them (on other cars).

What was wrong with the MPSS, road noise? So many other owners swear by them (on other cars).

I'm not a very hard driver so can't really comment about performance on the limit but the Dunlop's are definitely quieter than the Michelin's and the wet grip seems better to me as well.

Road noise, poor in the wet, took a long time to warm up, only positive was that they lasted a long time. Could be a good tyre on other cars or even on FWD cars but on the S5 I found them poor for such a 'highly rated' tyre.

Damian @ DPM Performance

Reactions: warren_S5
I've had the Dunlops and Michelins on my old A5 SB and currently have the Continental's on the S5 and I didn't find a significant improvement with the Michelins. As said perhaps a little noisier and given their billing I wasn't wowed by them.

To be fair it could be because I'm not an awesome helmsmith :racer: but didn't think they were worth the premium IMHO.

Reactions: warren_S5 and DAYTONA 500
I've now ruled out the Michelins and now its a toss up between sticking with the Conti sport contact 3's or changing to the Dunlop sport max gt's .

Last edited:
Reactions: Shrek5, warren_S5 and T-800
On my last car (TTS) I changed the factory Toyos to Good Year Eagle Asyms - they were superb !

I will defo change to them again when the S5 needs new rubber.

On my last car (TTS) I changed the factory Toyos to Good Year Eagle Asyms - they were superb !

I will defo change to them again when the S5 needs new rubber.

Put Goodyear's on my RS3 and they were great but unfortunately they don't do them in a 265/30/20 so I've ruled them out for the S5 ,as i want to stick to factory spec.

Yes, the 265/30/20's of the A/S5's 20" wheels are not well catered for are they? That was one of the reasons I stuck with the 19's this time around, the 19's are about £30-40 cheaper per tyre (like for like). Also didn't want the harsh ride I had on my A5 SB, which I think to some extent they've ironed out (and if you have Adaptive Dampers less of an issue again).

But they do look nice... and (sounding like a stuck record) had the RS4 20" V's been available as an option on the S5 I might well have been swayed towards those...

Put Goodyear's on my RS3 and they were great but unfortunately they don't do them in a 265/30/20 so I've ruled them out for the S5 ,as i want to stick to factory spec.

Damn that's annoying isn't it.

In which case, i would run with the Michelin's too - quality tyre and there is a reason why they are so dear I guess.

Yes, the 265/30/20's of the A/S5's 20" wheels are not well catered for are they? That was one of the reasons I stuck with the 19's this time around, the 19's are about £30-40 cheaper per tyre (like for like). Also didn't want the harsh ride I had on my A5 SB, which I think to some extent they've ironed out (and if you have Adaptive Dampers less of an issue again).

But they do look nice... and (sounding like a stuck record) had the RS4 20" V's been available as an option on the S5 I might well have been swayed towards those...

Ive got 20's with the Adaptive Dampers and i find with them in the Auto setting and the Conti's just right ,Comfort setting is far to soft for my liking.

Anyone had any experience with Vredestein Ultrac Vorti's? Meant to be a very highly rated tyre at getting on for half the price of michelins.. just come from the VXR community and everyone loves them on there so curious to hear if anyone on Audi forum has had a set yet as I'm about to order set of 4

As I'm in Northern Ireland I went for ps3's as they had a better write up for the wet. They're pretty damn good and got a great price.

I ran 19" Vredestien Ultrac Sessantas on the BMW, great tyre in wet and dry, lasted for ever too. I'd have them again.

I ran 19" Vredestien Ultrac Sessantas on the BMW, great tyre in wet and dry, lasted for ever too. I'd have them again.

I brought 4 new ultrac's when i brought the car and so far all i can say is very impressed :) not bad for £500 all 4 corners, properly only get 2 Michelin's for that ;)

They do come highly recommended on the BMW forums. I'd don't think you'll be disappointed considering the price!!

Im booked in next week to replace all four tyres with the same brand Conti sport contact 3 as are on the car now,the reason being i have about 4mm left on the rears so am going to keep them as spares.They are going to be balanced using the Hunter GSP9700 road force balancer.

I had CSC3's on my 1st 2007 model S3 from factory and they wore unevenly and very quickly. Hope they fair better on the S5.