S5 tyres help

CharlieSAudi

Reaction score
Afternoon all,

So my car came with 265 / 30 / 20 tyres, I’ve noticed when on full lock from stand still I get the tyre dragging/clonking noise which is driving me crazy.

Noticed the person before installed two different brands on the front and the same brand on both on the rear.

MOT is due next week and need new rears just wondering would it be cool to replace all tyres with 255 / 35 / 20 or best to stick with the current set up.

Also I’m assuming the dragging/ clonking noise just because of the tyre size as they have plenty of tread left.

Cheers

It's not my area of expertise, but every Audi I have had makes that worrying noise/vibration on full lock. I thought it was due to the quattro but I have seen comments that it is due to the steering set-up. However I think its normal and changing your tyres is not going to stop it...

Clunking here too. Don't think 265 vs 255 is going to make much difference. Very happy with the 265/30/20 PS4S set I have on now though - although to replace all 4 in 1 go is > £1k

Cheers guys, thought that would be the case.

Yeah a full set is quite expensive spent a fortune on tyres in my time now lol tryna my hardest to avoid that.

That’s why I was also thinking dropping to 255 35 would be sooo much cheaper and wouldn’t mind abit more tyre it’s so harsh. So if no problems think I’ll do that.

Noises on full lock are a feature of the permanent 4WD Torsen system used on these cars. Made worse by wider wheels and tyres and increased track width.
There is quite a bit of difference in size between a 265/30/20 and 255/35/20 . The tyre is nearly 20mm bigger in diameter , not sure how much clearance you have between arches and stuff but the tyre is going to be 10mm closer and the whole car will be 10mm further off the ground.
https://tiresize.com/comparison/

Get some pilot super sports.
https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/michelin/pilot-super-sport/265-30-zr20-94y-758141
or go upto a 275/30/20 these are only fractionally bigger than a 265/30/20
https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/dunlop/sp-sport-maxx-gt/275-30-r20-97y-757602

Reactions: voorhees and CharlieSAudi
I know the 4S comes out better than the super sport in reviews. I watched that review myself recently.
The difference in a set of tyres is around £200 between the super sports and 4S. I was just putting it out there as a slightly more budget option. If you want the best all round tyre the 4S is the tyre of choice ATM.

Reactions: CharlieSAudi
Agree. Was looking at super sport's myself until I started looking at reviews... Depends how you view £800 or £1000 for a set of tyres I guess (last car I had was £400 for all 4 corners on decent tyres!!)

Thanks for those comments and the vid - now I won't need to worry about which of the Michelin tyres to get. My Pirellis still have some wear left but the performance is starting to get worse, as is the tramlining. I'm not sure I'll bother getting full life out of them.

gone through lots of tyres on the a4 due to multiple wheels and camber wear.
I had the Michelin super sports on my winters, and found they are a battle in heavy rain, aqua plane like no tomorrow, and generally they are just OK, certainly dont have any faith in them to push he car hard, didnt like how they felt through the steering, and they are noisy, they are just OK, in the cold they seemed to be too hard and traction was not as good as other tyres I had.

The Uniroyal rain sports i had on my summer wheels, now thats a different story, had full faith, torrential rain no aqua planing, just cut through puddles and stagnent water like butter, real performers and only 90 a corner.. but they are super loud, feel the road alot through the wheel and wear quickly which is a shame (trade off I guess).

The Goodyear eagle f1 asymmetrics... by far the best all rounder, not as amazing feel in the wet as the uniroyals, but IMO miles above the michelins which i regretted buying, I had full faith pushing the corners, super grippy, not as noisy as the uniroyals and still cheaper than the Michelin, when my tyres are due replacing on the S5 I will be getting these again with no hesitation.. currently I am on Dunlop but its a new car to me so I cant make any comparison with them at this time.

Thanks for the help everyone much appreciated, always helpful.
Going to the garage tomorrow I’ll have a look and go from there.
Annoyingly left it to late to order online but it is what it is.