S5 Sportsback performance and economy figure change

andykn

Reaction score
Sometime between the Jan 10 and Sep 11 brochures the specification of the S5 changed from a 0-60 of 5.4 to 5.1 secs and urban economy improved from 20.9 to 26.4 mpg yet the power stayed at 333 PS.

Was it due to a new engine with exactly the same PS or could a remap do the same if I bought an older S5?

Was there an engine change from v8 na to v6 with a supercharger as the S4 had this iirc.

Was there an engine change from v8 na to v6 with a supercharger as the S4 had this iirc.
Don't think so, in almost all other respects the engines appear identical, V6, 2995cc 440 Nm torque. The CO2 for the newer model is lower though. the unladen weight has dropped 10kg and the fuel tank has gone from 64 to 61l.

Ah this is with the newer V6 engine already in both as they were N8 V8's.

Ideally need to read some technical bits on them both as it could be a map coupled with some minor mods to engine.

Ah this is with the newer V6 engine already in both as they were N8 V8's.

Ideally need to read some technical bits on them both as it could be a map coupled with some minor mods to engine.

Any idea where to find such detail. There was no hint on the Audi press release website of any changes to the engine and Wiki doesn't have much detail either. The 3.0 TDi has had a similar makeover although the PS increases from 240 to 245 but the consumption again improves hugely from around 32 to 39mpg on the Urban cycle.

is it the change to electrical power steering pump and start stop etc etc that they did in all the facelift models.

They did start/stop on an S5, I'd be shocked if they did tbh.

As Gavin says, they introduced Stop/Start, recuperation, electro-mechanical steering and an efficiency setting on the drive-select system in the latest cars which has made the difference to the economy figures, as they weren't previously available on the S4/S5 V6 Supercharged engines.

Damn, of all the cars to have it on, I would have thought those ranges would be the least to have say start/stop, even if start/stop is almost instant, still most drivers of those cars would want power on tap, not wait for the car to start, oh well school day today.

Guess they want them to be as economical as possible, given they're fairly high powered.

I can almost guarantee that everyone will turn it off each time they get in the car ( I think it defaults to 'on' whenever the ignition is switched off and then on again ), but it is just a way for manufacturers to reduce their overall emissions limit.......and I suppose it may be useful if you're stuck in a traffic jam, but the rest of time it would drive me bonkers !!

Thanks for the replies, but the Jan 10 brochure has recuperation and start/stop too on all the Sportbacks.

It doesn't have the new steering though, which is meant to provide a significant fuel saving, along with other peripheral changes they made to the V6 like faster fluid heating after cold starts and reduced mechanical friction.

In answer to your original question though, you could possibly gain the equivalent mpg improvements, along with a significant power boost with a re-chip as the engine works more efficiently after a good engine remap.

Contact someone like MCR or Stasis who can provide figures for the V6T engine.