S5 S/B Mirror tilt down in reverse

ChrisH370

Reaction score
When in reverse with switch turned to near or offside mirror position, the mirror does not tilt down to the show the kerb. I've tried in Drive to Reverse and nothing changes. I've got the folding mirror option that works fine. Is this something the dealership should have coded at the PDI, or an MMI setting issue? Anyone else had this problem?

I think you need to leave the rotary mirror switch in the "left" or "right" position for it to happen. Can't remember which though!

The factory default is no mirror tilt.

You have to set the tilt yourself. Have the car running.

1. Set the mirror switch to passenger side.
2. Engage reverse gear.
3. Adjust the mirror position using the mirror joystick.
4. Select Drive (or Park)
5. The mirror should return to the no-tilt position.

Job done. Now every time you select reverse the passenger mirror will tilt accordingly.

This feature is only available on the passenger side.

Reactions: S32B, hsjyes, Liddo and 1 other person
Doesn't work. I've tried that several times, adjusted pax mirror to see the ground when in Reverse but in Drive mirror does not revert to the normal position, so it is not remembering the position when tilted. Is it time to visit the dealer, I read somewhere it can be coded?

Mine works fine. Passenger side mirror has to always be selected. When you shift it into reverse you can adjust the angle of the mirror. When you drive or turn the engine off the mirror should restore its position. Note when you drive you need to be going above a certain speed before it restores.

Maybe its something I'm doing wrong. After tilting the pax mirror what action stores the setting? I didn't try driving off with the mirror still pointing downwards as that's quite dangerous as the mirror is no longer showing whats behind you.

With the gearbox in reverse, the passenger mirror setting is automatically stored when you move to park or drive, and retrieved whenever you select reverse gear.

For this to work, the mirror selection switch must have the passenger mirror selected. If its on heated mirror, or driver side, the tilt function is disabled.

Its sorted now, thanks all. Incase it helps anyone else tilt the mirror in Reverse then move the lever to Park and switch off the engine and you can see the mirror return to normal angle.

Still having problems with the pax mirror tilt returning to normal. Now it won't return to normal when in Drive accelerating to the reset speed, which it was doing fine earlier today, or when engine is turned off. Basically it's stuck in the reverse tilt angle. Ive got it set at quite a sharp angle to see the kerb near the rear wheel, could it be it only reverts from a small angle?

Mine's a bit flaky, but as I'm a vaper and constantly have the driver's window down in the rain - I'm not surprised as the door buttons are constantly drowned in rainwater. However that's the initial setup - not the returning to normal position. (Sometimes, in left mode, it won't change the mirror at all unless I restart the car - even with the engine running and in reverse)

I've no idea why it would stop working all of a sudden - sorry. You may just be better off by going down to your nearest dealership when you have the time and ask them to have a look at it for you.

My passenger mirror tilt stopped working too, had to take it to the dealer where they apparently had to reprogram the mirrors... It's worked fine ever since.

Took my car to the dealer, the technician who fixed it said the procedure is in the manual. In addition he said the important thing is to switch off the engine and lock the car after setting the tilt angle to store the information. Seems to be working fine now.

Reactions: Liddo
I have a similar issue with my A5 (B9) (I just got it a couple of days ago) . My mirrors did adjust initially when parking in reverse but now the mirrors don't tilt. I have the mirrors set to the passengers side but they don't tilt. I have been doing quite a lot of messing about to be honest (as you do when you get a new car) so perhaps I have changed a setting, not sure what that could be though :(

Just figured out my issue! I had a brainwave. I was using a different key, so just configured the mirror (with the different key) by using the method above and hey presto all good. With both keys I have tilting mirrors now.