S5 / RS5 Coupe Rear Arm Rest Design Fault?? - don’t take no for an answer!

Frizzley

Staff member
Reaction score
Dropped the back seat on my S5 for the first time a couple of weeks ago which resulted in the “lovely“ deep scratches on the side of the front passenger sports seat In the pic below. Needless to say after being initially being gutted I quickly became more than a bit ****off as it became obvious these were never going to polish out!!:sob::sos:

44D5291F 9771 4A32 B167 C0807E300C32

Never had an issue on my 2 A5 Sportbacks however and despite no warnings on the seat release handles or in the manual, if you put the centre arm rest down in the coupe with the front seat too far back this happens!:wtf:

830806B4 FB20 4144 82B5 A66105CEB2C6

So booked the car in to my local dealer thinking this is something that would be clearly covered under warranty but how wrong could I be :sadlike:.

Dealership’s view was this weren’t covered under warranty and my options where either to find someone who could polish it out or speak to Audi Customer Services which I subsequently did. ACS were actually very sympathetic , thought this should be covered under their goodwill scheme and dropped a note to the dealer asking them to have another look albeit warning me the final decision rested with the dealer. The same afternoon got an email from the dealer confirming that “they would not support or contribute towards this particular repair due to the following information provided in your handbook regarding the matter” despite it having no relevance to the problem at all.

Suffice to say I was now more than a little :rage::rage: so demanded (nicely of course) that dealerships customer service manager personally look at the car. When he did the response was completely the opposite saying “it shouldnt do that” and “I’ve never seen that before”. After taking a video and several pictures they also checked brand new RS5 in the showroom which had exactly the same issue. The dealership then fed all this back to Audi who within 2 hours of the car being reinspected agreed to cover the repairs in full under warranty- and which were carried out today RESULT:yahoo:

in summary:
- if you have an S5 or RS5 Coupe be careful when you put the back seats or centre armrest down
- don’t take just no for an answer if you have a warranty claim turned down

Reactions: Sibmets and Buck
This wasn't an issue in either my old A5 Coupe or my current S5 Sportback (I have to fold the rear seats down to transport some stuff for a couple of weeks each winter), however we are not the tallest of people so the front seats aren't that far back.