S5 or A6 BiTurbo

Theabbot

Reaction score
Looking to change my car and have narrowed it down to either a S5 or A6 BiTurbo, any thoughts. Every time I try to decide I come up with different pros and cons and now I'm confused. I have a S5 local to me but the nearest A6 BiTurbo is over 100 miles away.
So please help me out.

Mike

Looking to change my car and have narrowed it down to either a S5 or A6 BiTurbo, any thoughts. Every time I try to decide I come up with different pros and cons and now I'm confused. I have a S5 local to me but the nearest A6 BiTurbo is over 100 miles away.
So please help me out.

Mike
Not an easy choice there mate, is fuel economy important to you? Also 2 different body styles, Coupe or barge is the only way I can describe it? The S5 is a bit narrower than the A6. I'd go S5 if you don't have kids and fuel economy is not an issue. The A6 is a very comfy machine to be in though.

I was in a similar situation, as I've had pretty much every type of engine going apart from a V8 so was sorely tempted by an earlier S5. However the fuel economy for me around town was a bitter pill to swallow as around 50 % of the time I'm nose to bumper in the daily grind. Plus the Bitdi does have the exhaust resonator that gives it a deep grumble, which worked for me.

Now I know that you are probably looking at the v6 supercharged version, which by all accounts is a stormer of an engine, and highly tuneable, but it wasn't enough to convince me out of the A6.

The other thing to factor in is that the A5 / S5 / Q5 interior is showing its age (a bit) so the A6 being a generation ahead swung it for me.

I needed a 4 door too, for the family, so options were sort of limited.....

That said however, my next motor will most likely be the S4 avant when it finally hits the market, and to hell with the fuel consumption.....!

(Although that F pace is really really starting to grow on me)

Reactions: DrEskimo
I was in a similar situation, as I've had pretty much every type of engine going apart from a V8 so was sorely tempted by an earlier S5. However the fuel economy for me around town was a bitter pill to swallow as around 50 % of the time I'm nose to bumper in the daily grind. Plus the Bitdi does have the exhaust resonator that gives it a deep grumble, which worked for me.

Now I know that you are probably looking at the v6 supercharged version, which by all accounts is a stormer of an engine, and highly tuneable, but it wasn't enough to convince me out of the A6.

The other thing to factor in is that the A5 / S5 / Q5 interior is showing its age (a bit) so the A6 being a generation ahead swung it for me.

I needed a 4 door too, for the family, so options were sort of limited.....

That said however, my next motor will most likely be the S4 avant when it finally hits the market, and to hell with the fuel consumption.....!

(Although that F pace is really really starting to grow on me)

Pretty spot on with that assessment...

My V6 on motorway journeys tells me I am getting as much as 30MPG (20miles, 75MPH cruise). I do like a spirited sprint from a standstill though...pretty much every junction or light where I am at the front I will stick it in S and enjoy the noise :p

BUT....as we know manufacturers love to twist the truth when is comes to economy and emissions, and the trip computer is no exception. I have been tracking my mileage and fuel stops over the last 3,500 miles and have consistently got 22MPG, which is about 250miles to a tank.

Around town would be less, but thankfully I don't do much of that.

Agree the interior is lovely, but dated when you set out the A6 or A7. Love mine to bits and enjoy it every time I get to drive it. Fuel economy is more than fine for my mileage and use, but obviously that may be different to you.

Oh and as mentioned, if tuning is your thing, expect around 470BHP and 550NM with a stage 2 and pulley upgrade...its scarily quick....

^^ to follow on, the bitdi will get about 20-25 in and around town as an average, but treated well on the motorways (70-80 ish) would get you around 38-43 - I've seen 48 mpg on a long and boring journey to the south coast, with many average speed cameras en route. Normal tank will get me somewhere between 430 and 475 between fills. Not been brave enough to try and get to the magic 500, and to be honest if I wanted that I should have bought the 2.0 ultra.

It's cliched, but get into both and have a proper drive (unaccompanied if possible) and make your decision from there. This was my first diesel and it took some getting used to it and how to drive it to make the most if it vs petrol. But it is a devastatingly quick machine, and with the right spec is a joy to be sat in.

Thanks for the input and the real world MPG's, at the moment I have a Jag X-type 2.2d so I've got used to the low down torque. car before BMW M3 high reving rocket. There's only me and well past the kids stage, grandkids yes but they don't count :) milage is whatever I want it to be as I go where I want when I want, so kind of lucky in that aspect. Oh and in the garage is a Celica GT4 WRC for when I'm bored !! Need to get of my backside and track down the cars and go for a drive. Any more thoughts please keep them coming in.

Mike

If it matters, the A5 has the new model coming in a few months (autumn time probably) but the S5 will probably be the following spring going by Audis usual timings.
The A6 has a DPF so you need to cover decent miles.
I love you A6 and wouldn't swap it for an S5 but I have a family and do about 20k a year, so a bit different from yourself. If I was going for a smaller car and didn't want a diesel, it would probably be a saloon S3 or the RS3 saloon when it comes out.

You must do a lot of town driving. I've got the bigger tank but usually get 600 miles to a tank. My long term average is still just under 40 even with going through winter and having winter tyres on.

I was faced with the same dilema... but wanted the space, so I went for the S5 engine in the A6 Avant.... the 3.0TFSI was a limited run until 2012 - it's apparently the identical engine and gearbox, but it is tuned to bleed boost pressure a LOT earlier than the S5... so it's incredibly tunable since it has been detuned so as to avoid conflicting with the S6:

Over 280bhp from 3000rpm to >6000rpm... and that's the factory map...

V6TFSI

Don't go for it if you really need the fuel economy though (I really don't care, but I do notice): I regularly average ~25mpg with short journey mixed driving and <20mpg on short town journeys.... and even on a steady, SLOW (~60mph) motorway cruise would only see high 30's on the mpg (I've seen >38mpg a few times if I limit the overtaking and just keep moving at ~60mph).... and that falls to around 34-35mpg once you're up around 70mph and probably closer to 30-32mpg once you're around 80mph.

I've not had mine done (yet), but simple remaps and you're looking 375-400bhp and and as mentioned earlier in this thread, a pulley upgrade + remap and you're looking at 450-475bhp easilly... well over 475bhp if you do a bit more work (uprated intercooler, intake, downpipes, exhaust) - there's some people running >550bhp out of the 3.0TFSI, but you're talking new 'charger and ~£8k work (incl labour)...

Last edited:
Reactions: gordie1973, Theabbot and jojo