S5 or 440i Gran Coupe - opinions please

Naweednrahman

Reaction score
Hey folks, whether you may or may not know I'm in for a new car, with an S5 being very high on my list with the bmw 440i Gran Coupe being it's direct rival for me. I just wanted to gauge your thoughts on what you would rather have, whether it's budget or not, or driving experience please let me know.

Here are the specs of what I am being offered:
Audi s5 (16.8pct discount)
Solid or metallic paint with leather interior.
3 spoke S Line flat bottom multi-function leather steering wheel including paddle shift.
Matrix LED headlights with LED rear lights + dynamic front and rear indicators.
Red brake calipers.
Electric folding door mirrors.
Comfort and sound pack with electrically adjustable seats.
Extended LED interior light pack.

BMW 440i (circa 23pct discount)
Carbon Black with ivory interior
Ivory White Dakota Leather
Exterior Mirrors - folding with anti-dazzle
Split-folding rear seats
Surround-view
Concierge Service
Apple CarPlay preparation
Digital Cockpit
Advanced Parking package
Dynamic Package
Innovation package
M Sport Plus package

Hey folks, whether you may or may not know I'm in for a new car, with an S5 being very high on my list with the bmw 440i Gran Coupe being it's direct rival for me. I just wanted to gauge your thoughts on what you would rather have, whether it's budget or not, or driving experience please let me know.

Here are the specs of what I am being offered:
Audi s5 (16.8pct discount)
Solid or metallic paint with leather interior.
3 spoke S Line flat bottom multi-function leather steering wheel including paddle shift.
Matrix LED headlights with LED rear lights + dynamic front and rear indicators.
Red brake calipers.
Electric folding door mirrors.
Comfort and sound pack with electrically adjustable seats.
Extended LED interior light pack.

BMW 440i (circa 23pct discount)
Carbon Black with ivory interior
Ivory White Dakota Leather
Exterior Mirrors - folding with anti-dazzle
Split-folding rear seats
Surround-view
Concierge Service
Apple CarPlay preparation
Digital Cockpit
Advanced Parking package
Dynamic Package
Innovation package
M Sport Plus package
Audi S5 all the way. More comfortable, faster, looks great, better tech, and not so common as beamers. Had a 440i grand coupe for a week on loan, then a S5. The S5 was way, way better so got one and never looked back.

Guess the BMW can claim to have a better gearbox, if not much else.
Is the S5 a coupe or sportback. For me I'd want a proper number of doors but that's just me.

ok S5 then. To be honest the only BMW's I'd take over their Audi equivalents are the M5 and X3M40i, otherwise Audi

Guess the BMW can claim to have a better gearbox, if not much else.

Don't they have the same gearbox? :)

I had two F31's (3 series touring) and the Audi is definitely a step up. The F3x is quite an old car now and it feels it inside compared to the Audi S4 Avant I have now.

I think it is the same ZF 8 speed box, just different software

Reactions: RS4B5
After a brief think, I was going to say, the issue with Audi autos is down to the software

Had a new 340i for a year before coming to the S5 sportback and the Audi is a better car IMO especially if your car options are the same cost.

Bmw was much cheaper car in comparison when I have looked previously and that was a big plus in terms of getting a lot of car for the money with the BM.

Audi just feels like a more expensive car.

Audi is Quicker off the mark but they are about the same pulling from 30mph and above, even though Audi has more official BHP the BMW defo feels like it has similar output.

Audi drives on rails as you can imagine and it is a fun car to drive plus you can deploy all the power all the time which means you get the most out of it in all weather conditions. It’s a bit more point and shoot and a bit more urgent in its power delivery than the BMW.

Audi also sounds much better I think and has better build quality, interior feels like next gen over the BMW.

Gearbox I would say are on par. Ride quality I think is better in the Audi as well - a bit less crashy (I had adaptive on BMW and passive on Audi).

Seating position better in BM.

I would still have the BMW no probs if it was significantly cheaper than the Audi and cost was important. It’s a great car.

I’ve just (March) picked up my Mythos Black with Magma Red leather and lots of goodies on top of that S5 (coupe though!) after 2½ years in a 435D M-Sport Coupe! I tested a 440i (for a week) before I took delivery of my S5 but was never really interested as I knew I wanted a change from the BMW. Previous to the BMW, I’d had two A5s (both 3.0TDI) sandwiching a Merc C-Class Coupe in between, so I think I’m in a position to give a fairly neutral perspective - so here goes.....

Engines: The S5 is so much smoother than the 435D (obviously) and about on a par with the 440i for both acceleration and pulling through the gears. Both are great engines and can, under the right conditions both sound great. However, the BMW engine is definitely more fuel efficient from my experience (not that you get this sort of a car with that as a concern!). If I had to award points it’d be 1-0 to BMW (but only just).

Gearbox: Although they are the same - they are programmed differently and it does make a big difference. BMW have got their software spot on - it’s much smoother pulling away (in auto) and you can’t feeling the changes (either up or down). Now there is a post somewhere else on here about an update for the Audi but as I’ve not had it I’d have to say 2-0 BMW as theirs matches better with their engine at the moment than Audi’s does.

Steering: Love the flat bottom wheel on the Audi and it feels more chunky than the BMW wheel. In terms of actually steering the car (both had the standard steering) both turned in well and gripped (BMW was X-Drive and all my A/S5s have had Quattro) and the weighting was noticeably changed through the drive select when you wanted to change the feel - although it was purely the weight of the steering as neither system really had you feeling every stone on the road. So purely for the steering wheel itself I’ll give it the S5 (2-1)

Looks: Very subjective I know, but I never really fell in love with my BMW (even in Estoril Blue) compared to my first two A5s - and I like what they’ve done with the new one and the sharper creases and flared rear wheel arches. The only thing that gets my goat with the S5 was the poor choice of colours without going exclusive and £2.5k - however, ignoring the colour limitations it’s another one back for the Audi, 2-2

Interior: 3-2 Audi - simple. The BMW is clearly a generation behind. The Virtual Cockpit and massage seats in the S5 are lovely. Had HUD in the BMW but not in the S5, and don’t miss it at all thanks to the versatility of the VC. The B&O system is also better than the Harmon Kardon in the BMW. The seats are much better in the S5 too IMHO. One thing that is disappointing though in the Audi is that you can’t spec a leather dash. I really wanted one (and could have got one in the 4-Series) but Audi don’t offer it - not that the dash is bad, but leather would have taken it to another level.

IDrive / MMI: Both are very good although most prefer the idrive - I personally think they’re both intuitive and easy to use - although the traffic data on the BMW was utter dross compared to Google Maps on the S5 which directs me away from traffic jams unlike the BMW! Based on Google Maps alone that’s 4-2 Audi.

Now although that makes the final score seem slightly one sided, it’s important to note the 2 for the BMW were the engine and gearbox! Personally I loved my A5s and do the same my S5, and prefer Audi as a brand to BMW.

If you want to really ‘drive’ the car and get the rear end out, then get a BMW and the rear wheel drive 440i - and hopefully you won’t lose it on a roundabout. If you want to drive very fast and stay completely planted, but possibly have ever so slightly less fun, and enjoy a beautiful cabin at the same time, pick the S5 - you won’t be disappointed.

Also, those saying about the ‘value’ aspect - BMW offer crazy (25%+) discounts and although great on purchase absolutely destroy used values. Both my A5s were bought on PCP and had £1.5k and £2.5 equity in them when I traded in (after 1 ½ and 2 years). My BMW was in negative equity the whole way through and I had to VT (month 33/36) to get out of it! WBAC had it valued at £22k after 24 months - BMWs GFV / Balloon for after 3 years was £24.5k!).

Just my humble opinions but I’d go S5 everyday - which I did - I’ll also post a similar verdict on Bimmerpost (I’ve been a member on there for 3 years now and it really is a great read (especially the UK Off-Topic section)) because I’ve promised I will do when they found out I was ‘defecting’.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: gldy_b and Naweednrahman
I’ve just (March) picked up my Mythos Black with Magma Red leather and lots of goodies on top of that S5 (coupe though!) after 2½ years in a 435D M-Sport Coupe! I tested a 440i (for a week) before I took delivery of my S5 but was never really interested as I knew I wanted a change from the BMW. Previous to the BMW, I’d had two A5s (both 3.0TDI) sandwiching a Merc C-Class Coupe in between, so I think I’m in a position to give a fairly neutral perspective - so here goes.....

Engines: The S5 is so much smoother than the 435D (obviously) and about on a par with the 440i for both acceleration and pulling through the gears. Both are great engines and can, under the right conditions both sound great. However, the BMW engine is definitely more fuel efficient from my experience (not that you get this sort of a car with that as a concern!). If I had to award points it’d be 1-0 to BMW (but only just).

Gearbox: Although they are the same - they are programmed differently and it does make a big difference. BMW have got their software spot on - it’s much smoother pulling away (in auto) and you can’t feeling the changes (either up or down). Now there is a post somewhere else on here about an update for the Audi but as I’ve not had it I’d have to say 2-0 BMW as theirs matches better with their engine at the moment than Audi’s does.

Steering: Love the flat bottom wheel on the Audi and it feels more chunky than the BMW wheel. In terms of actually steering the car (both had the standard steering) both turned in well and gripped (BMW was X-Drive and all my A/S5s have had Quattro) and the weighting was noticeably changed through the drive select when you wanted to change the feel - although it was purely the weight of the steering as neither system really had you feeling every stone on the road. So purely for the steering wheel itself I’ll give it the S5 (2-1)

Looks: Very subjective I know, but I never really fell in love with my BMW (even in Estoril Blue) compared to my first two A5s - and I like what they’ve done with the new one and the sharper creases and flared rear wheel arches. The only thing that gets my goat with the S5 was the poor choice of colours without going exclusive and £2.5k - however, ignoring the colour limitations it’s another one back for the Audi, 2-2

Interior: 3-2 Audi - simple. The BMW is clearly a generation behind. The Virtual Cockpit and massage seats in the S5 are lovely. Had HUD in the BMW but not in the S5, and don’t miss it at all thanks to the versatility of the VC. The B&O system is also better than the Harmon Kardon in the BMW. The seats are much better in the S5 too IMHO. One thing that is disappointing though in the Audi is that you can’t spec a leather dash. I really wanted one (and could have got one in the 4-Series) but Audi don’t offer it - not that the dash is bad, but leather would have taken it to another level.

IDrive / MMI: Both are very good although most prefer the idrive - I personally think they’re both intuitive and easy to use - although the traffic data on the BMW was utter dross compared to Google Maps on the S5 which directs me away from traffic jams unlike the BMW! Based on Google Maps alone that’s 4-2 Audi.

Now although that makes the final score seem slightly one sided, it’s important to note the 2 for the BMW were the engine and gearbox! Personally I loved my A5s and do the same my S5, and prefer Audi as a brand to BMW.

If you want to really ‘drive’ the car and get the rear end out, then get a BMW and the rear wheel drive 440i - and hopefully you won’t lose it on a roundabout. If you want to drive very fast and stay completely planted, but possibly have ever so slightly less fun, and enjoy a beautiful cabin at the same time, pick the S5 - you won’t be disappointed.

Also, those saying about the ‘value’ aspect - BMW offer crazy (25%+) discounts and although great on purchase absolutely destroy used values. Both my A5s were bought on PCP and had £1.5k and £2.5 equity in them when I traded in (after 1 ½ and 2 years). My BMW was in negative equity the whole way through and I had to VT (month 33/36) to get out of it! WBAC had it valued at £22k after 24 months - BMWs GFV / Balloon for after 3 years was £24.5k!).

Just my humble opinions but I’d go S5 everyday - which I did - I’ll also post a similar verdict on Bimmerpost (I’ve been a member on there for 3 years now and it really is a great read (especially the UK Off-Topic section)) because I’ve promised I will do when they found out I was ‘defecting’.

Thank you for the detailed write up. Really does help.

The S5 is significantly more money though and agree with you on discounts.

The problem with the Audi are the lead times of 18 weeks!

assuming a 2k deposit, 48 month term with 8k miles per year.
BMW
OTR: 40,547 (24.4% discount)
APR: 1.9%
monthly: 488
Audi:
OTR: 42,875 (16.8% discount)
APR: 5.4%
monthly: 560

Thank you for the detailed write up. Really does help.

The S5 is significantly more money though and agree with you on discounts.

The problem with the Audi are the lead times of 18 weeks!

assuming a 2k deposit, 48 month term with 8k miles per year.
BMW
OTR: 40,547 (24.4% discount)
APR: 1.9%
monthly: 488
Audi:
OTR: 42,875 (16.8% discount)
APR: 5.4%
monthly: 560

The wait is definitely worth it IMHO. I ordered mine last July / August (there was break in production of the S5 at the time due to questions over the CO2 claims!). It arrived in the UK in mid December. I then had to wait until March to collect it, as I had to pay my Feb payment on my BMW before I could VT it (see first post about the negative equity!). It was 7 very very long months.

You spend all your time driving, sat in the car - and ‘in the car’ is where the Audi is definitely better! The BMW isn’t a bad place, but is really showing it’s age. If you’re anything like me, you’ll spend only a very small part of this driving, doing it in any way where the BMW will be more ‘exciting’. I don’t track my cars, so on UK roads 99.9% of the time, the difference between how the 2 cars drive isn’t noticeable.

Maybe I'll wait nearer the quarter and see if there are any stock audis that have the spec I want. Usually stock cars they're willing to discount a bit more.

Guess money counts ultimately, have you spent much time in either ?

The main point brought up (As usual) is the interiors. The BM is behind in layout but that's not to say it's lagging or old. Just a different design ethos.
The newer cars (Audi and some others) are getting to the point of just shoehorning in as many touchscreens as they can. It looks good and fresh but personally it's a little too much.
The new 5 series has a superb interior without massive slabs of glass laying about. unlike say the new A6 which looks like a games console setup.

Have you posted this on a BM forum ? We are all a little tribal.

Like I said, the money factor overshadows most other considerations.

Guess money counts ultimately, have you spent much time in either ?

The main point brought up (As usual) is the interiors. The BM is behind in layout but that's not to say it's lagging or old. Just a different design ethos.
The newer cars (Audi and some others) are getting to the point of just shoehorning in as many touchscreens as they can. It looks good and fresh but personally it's a little too much.
The new 5 series has a superb interior without massive slabs of glass laying about. unlike say the new A6 which looks like a games console setup.

Have you posted this on a BM forum ? We are all a little tribal.

Like I said, the money factor overshadows most other considerations.

I know what I'm getting with the 4 series since its relatively the same as my 2 series. I know its going to drive extremely well.

I test drove the s5 a few weeks back and its nowhere near as engaging. Just felt a bit bland driving. Also the gearbox was a bit laggy (although the software update is likely to fix this). However, the new model feeling and what the car comes with as a standard is impressive.

However, what concerns me is that the 4 series will be replaced likely in the last two years of my agreement and not that I plan to keep it, but I know in the private market the price will plummet leaving very little equity.

I'm confident that I can solve the money issue with a bit of luck in maybe a dealer needing to get rid of a car at the end of the quarter. It's going to be a waiting game.

S5 all the way. I was a bit like you. Couldn’t decide over the 440i or S5. The S5 stands out a lot more. BMW is very subtle you can only tell it’s a 440i by looking at the rear tailpipes whereas the S5 looks special. I went for the S5 in the end as like detailed below the 4 series is at end of life now hence the big discounts the new 3/4 series is due to come out in early 2019. Another consideration I had was the merc C43. Again because of the end of life I decided against it. The new C43 is out and if I was going to be choosing a new car out of the 3, S5 450i and c43, it would be the merc reasons - styling,options available and resale value you can also spec the performance exhaust so it actually uses all 4 pipes unlike the Audi’s which you have to drive in dynamic sport all the time.

hey all, thanks for your thoughts - I took another test drive with the Audi but i'll go with the BMW. Overall it's going to come down to value for money.

I am not able to get Audi to play ball with the monthlies even with the discounts advertised - also the problem with existing stock not having the mandatory options I want (light and vision, or sound pack).

In terms of looks, the front of a BMW is just nicer, but the rear of the Audi is better.
The interior for sure, Audi wins. The seats really do look luxurious and worth the price you pay.
However, the drive and the actual feeling behind the wheel - i feel a bit too 'safe' with the Audi. I don't quite get the feedback that puts a smile on my face.

Maybe i'll end up in an Audi sometime in the future. But you guys have been fantastic with your views.

Wish you all the best!

Reactions: Simonb1975
Very glad I stook with the S5, I was going to go with the M140i or the 440i

hey all, thanks for your thoughts - I took another test drive with the Audi but i'll go with the BMW. Overall it's going to come down to value for money.

I am not able to get Audi to play ball with the monthlies even with the discounts advertised - also the problem with existing stock not having the mandatory options I want (light and vision, or sound pack).

In terms of looks, the front of a BMW is just nicer, but the rear of the Audi is better.
The interior for sure, Audi wins. The seats really do look luxurious and worth the price you pay.
However, the drive and the actual feeling behind the wheel - i feel a bit too 'safe' with the Audi. I don't quite get the feedback that puts a smile on my face.

Maybe i'll end up in an Audi sometime in the future. But you guys have been fantastic with your views.

Wish you all the best!

Both are very good cars. Based on your comments It sounds like you’ve made the right choice. Hope you enjoy it.

Reactions: Simonb1975
This is my first Audi, after 3 BMWs previously. All 3 had rattles after a few thousand miles that the dealer couldn't solve. The audi is silent inside.

This is my first Audi, after 3 BMWs previously. All 3 had rattles after a few thousand miles that the dealer couldn't solve. The audi is silent inside.

Hardly a definitive conclusion :welcoming:. Our S3 has more issues than any Ford we've owned. Ultimately, try both, weigh them both up and decide. Forums for one make will be dangerously one sided for the most.

My b9 S4 rattles way more than my 2 previous BMW F31's did!

I recently got rid of my 440i GC and bought an S5 Sportback, I prefer the Audi, it is so much quieter and more refined inside, the 440i was deafening with road noise, the S5 just feels more special, no axe to grind I prefer BMW's as a rule

xvLbwNG.jpg

k8yJy1q.jpg