S5 full fat V8 content

Nothing exciting to report, just the annual MOT test... passed with flying colours and no advisories.... I use the test as an opportunity to have a good look underneath.... job for next summer is the rear subframe needs to come off and be stripped and refinished.... it looks ****** awful and scabby... definitely not built to last like the Audi's of old

WP_20190928_10_58_25_Pro_zpsfvpui5bh.jpg

Reactions: voorhees
Under my old one it looked a bit shabby and mine was a 2010 model

they're definitely not made to last as long.... Just another thing to add to the list of stuff to do lol

every time I go under the bonnet it bug's the living bejesus out of me that the decal on the slam panel is coming away.... having seen what another enthusiast had produced for his own TT in replacing the under bonnet decals I sent a cheeky message as for his help....

I originally went down the path seeing if it was still available from my Audi dealer, nope... absolutely NLA

Any way a pic was sent of the offending decal....

IMG-20190930-WA0002_zpsab6rgafb.jpg

wrinkled at one end and the adhesive non existent at the other... the masking tape was just there to hold it flat whilst a pic was taken...

Today I received a message saying the artwork is done... ready for printing next week....

48880331848_d3e06e908c_c_zpsnv4hur8r.jpg

Can't wait......

Very nice S5, please do not try to cure your OCD it is perfect. Your mods will be so useful to others !

May I ask how you find the sound of this V8 ? How does it compare against a RS4, S6 or S4 etc...
And did you have the chance to hear the V6 FSI version of the A5 ?

Very nice S5, please do not try to cure your OCD it is perfect. Your mods will be so useful to others !

May I ask how you find the sound of this V8 ? How does it compare against a RS4, S6 or S4 etc...
And did you have the chance to hear the V6 FSI version of the A5 ?

The S5 sounds different than the S4 (B6), S8 (D2) and the RS6 (C5) I once had, the V6 in my B5 RS4 didn't sound anywhere near the same... the S5 V6 sounds ok as it has the supercharger to add to the sound, but it's not a V8....
I can't wait to pull my finger out and actually make my S5 exhaust lol

As she's been laid up for winter there hasn't been much to report..... regularly cleaned and polished and ran up....

I always have the battery conditioner on to keep the battery in top form, however something went awry with the current battery, so a new one was sourced and as ever it's never just a simple job. As the car was dead electrically to get the boot open you have to go in through from the rear seats.... great, you can't move the front electric seats without electricity...!!!
So having contorted myself into the back seat, then having got into the boot space..... ****** might have helped to remember the damn torch...!!!
Now with torch at hand.... there is a plastic bung on the rear panel which once removed allows to mechanically pop open the boot.... so, old battery removed, new one plugged in....
You have to tell the Central Electrics you have fitted a new battery, with the assistance of VCDS
19 - CAN-Gateway
Long Adaptation-0A Channel 004
Now if you are fitting a genuine Audi battery it will have a new "BEM" number to input, what do you do if you don't have a battery with a "BEM", all I did was delete enough numbers from the original serial number as shown on VCDS and then input the new battery's serial number....

Now to get her off the SORN and use her in decent weather...!!!

As she's been laid up for winter there hasn't been much to report..... regularly cleaned and polished and ran up....

I always have the battery conditioner on to keep the battery in top form, however something went awry with the current battery, so a new one was sourced and as ever it's never just a simple job. As the car was dead electrically to get the boot open you have to go in through from the rear seats.... great, you can't move the front electric seats without electricity...!!!
So having contorted myself into the back seat, then having got into the boot space..... ****** might have helped to remember the damn torch...!!!
Now with torch at hand.... there is a plastic bung on the rear panel which once removed allows to mechanically pop open the boot.... so, old battery removed, new one plugged in....
You have to tell the Central Electrics you have fitted a new battery, with the assistance of VCDS
19 - CAN-Gateway
Long Adaptation-0A Channel 004
Now if you are fitting a genuine Audi battery it will have a new "BEM" number to input, what do you do if you don't have a battery with a "BEM", all I did was delete enough numbers from the original serial number as shown on VCDS and then input the new battery's serial number....

Now to get her off the SORN and use her in decent weather...!!!
Just for future reference there is a battery terminal/jump post under the bonnet which you could have connected a charger/slave battery to so you could open the boot
Regards

Just for future reference there is a battery terminal/jump post under the bonnet which you could have connected a charger/slave battery to so you could open the boot
Regards

Yeah thanks, I know that... wasn't much use when my battery conditioner is plugged in directly onto the battery in the boot....

good old ebay came up trumps for the face lift window, boot and mirror switches i'd been after.
IMG_3144_zpsafu63op1.jpg

the passenger side and boot release are due to arrive tomorrow so that'll be tomorrows job.
I couldn't believe how mossy green in all the nooks and crannies my S5 had got, so out came the TFR and a toothbrush and went in to deep clean, the worst ones were the lower door rubbers, windows down and be careful I thought... of course some splashed onto the ****** leather....
Of course it marked the silver napa, however it looked like it actually really cleaned the leather... so I got some new clean TFR and a microfibre and wiped it across an inconspicuous area and I couldn't believe how clean it brought the area, so I did the whole seat... (only one in case tomorrow the leather is melted), I did a panel at a time, wipe, dry and then went over it with a Dr Leather wipe and buffed.... At no time did I leave the TFR to sit on the surface.
Before
IMG_3148_zpsdogojgco.jpg

After
IMG_3147_zps1io85kfw.jpg

surface feels great and has a lovely matt finish as it should.... now, I am not saying anyone else should try this in any shape size or form, at all.....
but I've never seen my seat so clean before....
if the leather hasn't melted by tomorrow then i'll do the passenger seat etc....
If you try it, it is at your OWN risk...
Finally got around to using a Christmas present from the other half.
Q2M Iron remover
My wheels were not particular dirty, having only done 150miles since the MOT.
IMG_3142_zpsixa8szsr.jpg

impressed with it.
then I got on with the rest of the clean... clay, wash, dry (new towels), polish, wax and Ceramic Coat....
IMG_3150_zpse80hcvar.jpg

IMG_3149_zpsefomq4id.jpg

just need to find some cost effective Piano Black trims and i'll be happy with the interior upgrades (yeah right... who am I kidding..!!!)

Reactions: RS5 JON, voorhees and Kayobong
well I can safely report the leather didn't melt...
seat_zpsvnmnvvhj.png

the more eagle eyed amongst you may have noticed the mirror switch i'd been sent wasn't the type for folding mirrors which my S5 has.
IMG_3169_zpsxvd2ch6f.jpg

So in the interests of science at worst i'd sacrifice a mirror switch. So I pulled the tot see if the knob would come off.... I tried the new switch first before the one fitted in the car and it is just held on by spring pressure...
WP_20200404_16_44_23_Pro_zpsyly5cmgc.jpg

and newly fitted shiny new....
WP_20200404_16_44_46_Pro_zpsrwgssg17.jpg

tomorrow i'll strip the door cards off fully to do the other switches

Very good stuff mate, those seats are looking fresh

Reactions: Flynn89forever
it suddenly dawned on me as I got halfway through stripping down the door to remove the door card that you don't actually need to remove the passenger door card to get to the switch.
IMG_3185_zpsuzmunrpn.jpg

it was at this point I realised.... doh…!!!
IMG_3187_zpsytz1yaku.jpg

IMG_3186_zpshqgn29s1.jpg

oh look... there is is...!!!
old switch was easily popped out, and a old/new comparison
IMG_3188_zpsnxyciwsv.jpg

and built back up
IMG_3190_zps1avery8w.jpg

The drivers side I did need to remove the door card to get to the boot release switch, but no great biggie..
all done...
IMG_3191_zpswcnmiqwv.jpg

simple little upgrade that (to me) makes a world of difference to the look of the interior...

Reactions: Kayobong
Well having cleaned the S5 to death, cleaned the other half's mummobile to death, serviced it and rebuilt the brakes... I thought i'd drag my bike out for a polish....
IMG_3377_zpssghfniuh.jpg

IMG_3385_zpswnuvrcpf.jpg

makes me chuckle that it takes a 10th of the product of the cars.... don't know why, just does... simple things please simple minds I suppose.....
It rained yesterday so i'll just have to clean the S5 again.....

some of you may remember this being a constant eye sore for me every time i lifted the bonnet...
IMG-20190930-WA0002_zpsn8p4lvzf.jpg

after having the promise of help from someone else who became unresponsive sadly i went on the hunt for a solution to my sticker replacement, it no longer being available from Audi, nor any dealers having any in stock.

I found this chap,
https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/alex20dm11
no affiliation in any shape size or form, but he responded quickly and said he was able to help.
I sent him a pic of what i wanted, with the original size and today these turned up...

IMG_3439_zpsiywr6j8q.jpg

whilst not being on exactly the same foil as OE, they are certainly close enough for me and look a 1000 times better than the peeling, lifted original.
IMG_3440_zpskw3e69as.jpg

IMG_3441_zpsrsekdnjp.jpg

all for £3.92 delivered......

to say i am chuffed more than a chuffed thing is an understatement.

Reactions: WilkoS5
You ever started a job and wished you hadn't bothered? yup... today was one of those days, and i choose to do 2 jobs and both ****** up halfway through but i did actually get there in the end... even after the mother of all tantrums thrown....!!!
Under the bonnet the main engine cover has a shiny detail on the plastic, the lacquer has clearly failed at some point.

IMG_3519_zpsv1vhowjb.jpg

so this was all sanded back

IMG_3520_zpskvpw8azb.jpg

masked up and a threw some clear lacquer on it.... and of course it reacted, despite tacking it down and an alcohol wipe.... so i started again....

and finally ended up with something half decent....

IMG_3525_zpsxrg6lohs.jpg

after that i thought i'd tackle the small corrosion showing on the upper face of the slam panel..... of course Audi in it's infinite wisdom manufactured this panel as the complete radiator support so to remove involves dismantling the whole front end, i'm not feeling that dedicated today... if ever.!!!
What was ever more annoying, there are plastic ribs along the length which of course can't be removed, so an absolute ball ache, multiplied by infinite... if you are considering doing this.... i wouldn't...

all loose surface rust was wire brushed off and the whole upper face was hit with Deox

IMG_3516_zpsigfinqcd.jpg

IMG_3517_zpsluyxoht3.jpg

left to dwell and washed off, every thing was dried up and then a zinc rich primer and high build primer where applied one after the other

IMG_3521_zpsdus8juvk.jpg

and then the satin black....

IMG_3522_zpsddldyzqv.jpg

IMG_3524_zpsbix5zwja.jpg

it's one of those jobs where i've had to accept a 90% level of finish, it's not perfect, but it's better than it being rusty...

Reactions: Kayobong, Macdoon and RS5 JON
Looks great mate... good effort

As we all have time to ponder, like all of us when we originally buy our cars we jump in and tweak various settings via VCDS, whilst i had changed the settings for the ADS behind the scenes i could never get the MMI display to show the "ADS" on the display

IMG_3576_zpsfl4cnnu1.jpg

I followed this excellent write up on how to enable the codings and adaptions etc

http://www.audienthusiasts.com/Project_ADS.html

however the hidden menu graphics on my 2007 S5 are different then as shown on the write up, so i could never get the display correct.

So, reminded of this from another thread (Thanks Dave) and armed with a bit of time, i knew the setting was there somewhere.

So, onto the green menu....

IMG_3571_zps2nnxxsfz.jpg

(if you haven't enabled it, follow the how to on the above link)

Scroll down to "DIAG SETTINGS"

IMG_3572_zpsqnghmq1w.jpg

click it, then scroll down to "APK 0x01 0x0B 0x0C"

IMG_3573_zpspeisfkzu.jpg

click it, then scroll down to "Charisma"

IMG_3574_zps7r4xnz7x.jpg

and make sure the box is ticked (click it), scroll down to accept changes, click it. Then exit the green menu (return etc) and do a hard reboot of your head unit and taaaaa daaaaa

IMG_3575_zps40qhigis.jpg

it works..... hopefully this may be of use to others?

Reactions: RS5 JON and Kayobong
like so many of our cars after a few miles the bolsters start to show their age, no amount of cleaning brings them back to that "as new" look.
Mine are no different and they are similar on both drivers and passengers (drivers more so)

IMG_3583_zpsgm2rocci.jpg

so having had a good look around as to what is available, i liked the look of what Colourlock had to offer and they had my colour of leather available (although they will mix up your colour if they don't list it, which they are currently doing for my Dad's TT as they don't have his colour).

IMG_3582_zps4v5rvvze.jpg

i bought the sanding pad and the 150ml dye, as that is more than enough for my needs. I have enough chemicals to clean the Bismark, so i didn't buy their cleaners etc.

So, the delivery arrived today and i set too.... and then it rained (heavily) so i stopped....

however 2 coats in... it is looking promising

IMG_3584_zps9l6zszwq.jpg

i just need the sunshine to come back like last week (pretty please)

So the very nice mailman decided to deliver the first piece of the Piano Black trim, there were a few very light scratches on the black but nothing that didn't buff out... Can't wait for the remaining pieces...
Before

IMG_3602_zpsgpr4ypzp.jpg

After

IMG_3603_zpsd08q8jkc.jpg

and despite the rain first thing this morning it dried up enough to finish the drivers seat with the Colourlock dye...

IMG_3604_zpsh0qyycu8.jpg

IMG_3605_zpsdloruld9.jpg

IMG_3606_zpsds2vyd35.jpg

Now just need to wait 24 hours and can do a final buff. To say i am over the moon with the results is an understatement.... absolutely fantastic, the colour match is incredible and the product is so easy to use. Their website has numerous tutorials and the service was second to none.
I would advise that if you are getting the sanding pad that a lot of care is taken near any stitching as i'd imagine that it would be easy to muller that quite quickly.

Just before it rained again i thought i'd start the passenger seat....
What i was starting with....

IMG_3608_zpsiwruqaaq.jpg

3 applications in and it started to spit, i noticed the water spots marking the dye so i stopped until no rain...

IMG_3609_zps2pi0j59v.jpg

excellent product... 2 thumbs up from me....!!!

Reactions: RS5 JON
and just to complete today, i managed to get the passenger seat completed...

IMG_3613_zps8kgd24pe.jpg

and a close up...

IMG_3614_zpsddqva92m.jpg

roll on tomorrow to buff it all up....

So the very nice mailman decided to deliver the first piece of the Piano Black trim, there were a few very light scratches on the black but nothing that didn't buff out... Can't wait for the remaining pieces...
Before

IMG_3602_zpsgpr4ypzp.jpg

After

IMG_3603_zpsd08q8jkc.jpg

and despite the rain first thing this morning it dried up enough to finish the drivers seat with the Colourlock dye...

IMG_3604_zpsh0qyycu8.jpg

IMG_3605_zpsdloruld9.jpg

IMG_3606_zpsds2vyd35.jpg

Now just need to wait 24 hours and can do a final buff. To say i am over the moon with the results is an understatement.... absolutely fantastic, the colour match is incredible and the product is so easy to use. Their website has numerous tutorials and the service was second to none.
I would advise that if you are getting the sanding pad that a lot of care is taken near any stitching as i'd imagine that it would be easy to muller that quite quickly.

Just before it rained again i thought i'd start the passenger seat....
What i was starting with....

IMG_3608_zpsiwruqaaq.jpg

3 applications in and it started to spit, i noticed the water spots marking the dye so i stopped until no rain...

IMG_3609_zps2pi0j59v.jpg

excellent product... 2 thumbs up from me....!!!

Excellent work, I may have to get myself some of that for my black leather

Excellent work, I may have to get myself some of that for my black leather

Thank you.... but all thanks really should go to ColourLock for an excellent product.... i doff my cap to them, we've sent off a sample piece of leather off my Dad's TT as they don't list his colour, so will have that to get stuck into soon and i'm ordering a dye for my other half's A3 SB....
It's great to find a product which actually does what it says on the tin, with a no ******** approach.

With another week of lockdown the Mailman thankfully delivered the remaining Piano Black trims... a good polish to remove surface scratches and onto fitting.

IMG_3631_zpso56g2kmc.jpg

dash inserts, the right hand side fresh air vent decided to fall to bits so that was fun putting it back together, what a fiddly **** job that was....

IMG_3634_zpscapvg6ld.jpg

rears

Then onto the centre console, this involves removing the whole assembly... it starts as this...

IMG_3633_zpsha7kpigj.jpg

it just fell out... so much to remove to get the ****** thing out... however i thought it a good time to clean underneath it... wasn't bad, but no money...

IMG_3637_zpsqn4wgpn1.jpg

and all back together

IMG_3638_zps3ruuznrx.jpg

a much nicer place to be now...

IMG_3639_zpsibljsjsb.jpg

Looking at wrapping mine I think...where did you get the pieces from?

Looking at wrapping mine I think...where did you get the pieces from?

good old Ebay, just kept looking until i found a set in reasonable quality for not a lot of money, these were shipped from Lithuania all in for £60.00 for the complete set... bargain in my estimation lol

So, it being commented yesterday that my steering wheel was too shiny and that a decent degrease was in order...
Not having any Surfex to hand and being of an impatient disposition...!!! i'd previously used my TFR on the seats to good effect... so feeling a bit gung-ho this morning and thinking what's the worst that can happen i thought why not...

My TFR is fully water soluble and is alkaline, so not that dissimilar to Surfex (in my mind anyway, the technical boffins would disagree i'm sure lol)

This is what i have as my degreaser...

IMG_3442_zpswxdkcuul.jpg

and the offending shinyness

IMG_3670_zpsezcixbt4.jpg

so a small test area was tried...

IMG_3671_zpsrpcojqhd.jpg

looked promising so i did the whole wheel...

IMG_3672_zpsdmmagq5k.jpg

1 none shiny wheel.... (did the gearknob also as it would be rude to leave your knob out of the equation if there's rubbing involved...!!!)

Reactions: Sc08 LAB and Kayobong
Every day i try to refine a panel, cleanse, buff, polish and wax to improve the clarity

IMG_3718_zps7b3bqb2e.jpg

getting there slowly....

today i thought i'd clean the shuts and when i got to the boot opening there was a tiny bit i couldn't get to without taking the seal out, so i did and OMG...!!!

IMG_3721_zpssfdsi4ot.jpg

the seal was retaining a lot of crud and moisture.... so much so that corrosion was just starting to show in a couple of the seams.

IMG_3722_zpsimanlwzr.jpg

so i stripped the lights and interior panels out to get it treated.

IMG_3723_zpszuwcqdby.jpg

BiltHamber deox gel applied as per usual and allowed to dwell.... cleaned off and primed

IMG_3725_zpsx84nhcph.jpg

and painted in body colour

IMG_3724_zpsz9fdk9qo.jpg

and all back together until next time....

IMG_3726_zpsn8rvztt7.jpg

These things certainly aren't built to last as the older Audi generations....

Reactions: WilkoS5
Every day's a school day, when i changed to the Piano Black trim, i had assumed the dash panels for the displays were all the same.... apparently not, the new black one had a slightly smaller opening for the MMI display, which meant that one edge was ever so slightly cut off....

IMG_3774_zpszvr8rjog.jpg

so what should i do.... options were
1. look for the correct one in Piano Black (nope)
2. live with it.... (definitely not, nope, nada...)
3. butcher the two to make the correct one.... perfect plan

The black trim is bonded to the backing and rather than destroy the black trim i wanted to see how well the original aluminium trim was boned to the backing

IMG_3775_zpsknntn43z.jpg

It came off quite easily thankfully, so i attacked the Piano Black trim version

IMG_3776_zpsvxremv7l.jpg

bizarrely this was boned on a little bit better and took a little bit more effort to separate. Both gluing faces were cleaned up and the trim was bonded back on to the backing....
Now just sat watching it dry so it can be put back into the car....

Every day's a school day, when i changed to the Piano Black trim, i had assumed the dash panels for the displays were all the same.... apparently not, the new black one had a slightly smaller opening for the MMI display, which meant that one edge was ever so slightly cut off....

IMG_3774_zpszvr8rjog.jpg

so what should i do.... options were
1. look for the correct one in Piano Black (nope)
2. live with it.... (definitely not, nope, nada...)
3. butcher the two to make the correct one.... perfect plan

The black trim is bonded to the backing and rather than destroy the black trim i wanted to see how well the original aluminium trim was boned to the backing

IMG_3775_zpsknntn43z.jpg

It came off quite easily thankfully, so i attacked the Piano Black trim version

IMG_3776_zpsvxremv7l.jpg

bizarrely this was boned on a little bit better and took a little bit more effort to separate. Both gluing faces were cleaned up and the trim was bonded back on to the backing....
Now just sat watching it dry so it can be put back into the car....

what sort of glue do you use pal? I'm thinking of replacing some trim in my MK6 but I have no idea what to securely bond it back with. Excellent work with the S5.

what sort of glue do you use pal? I'm thinking of replacing some trim in my MK6 but I have no idea what to securely bond it back with. Excellent work with the S5.

Thank you.
I used some black CT1, takes a while to go off but is permanent... whilst curing the 2 pieces were clamped together.
https://www.ct1.com/our-products/ct1/

having given the adhesive a good 24 hours to cure, fitting the panel back in took a simple 5 minutes but a life time of keeping the OCD wobble at bay....

IMG_3781_zpsqevoh5qn.jpg

much better, then a simple wipe over with 303 to remove the finger prints and that's it ticked off the list.

IMG_3782_zps2nhcwjcs.jpg

well as lockdown is still here for some of us, the cars are being ever more cleaned, and cleaned and cleaned again. It's been a chance to layer wax on like Mr Miyagi.....

and a gratuitous shiny shot

IMG_3857_zps8iccxsm8.jpg

Reactions: RS5 JON