S5 fuel economy

MFM

Reaction score
What's it like on fuel?

I'm torn between an S4 and S5.

What's it like on fuel?

I'm torn between an S4 and S5.
They use plenty, but they've got the same motor. Maybe coupes use more fuel cause they look faster. Or Avants use more cause they're often lugging stuff.

I can't believe that you are analysing fuel economy to help you choose between an S4 and an S5! Surely the decision should be easier than that. S4's are more common and cheaper than S5s so unless you love the S5 shape then it should be an S4.

Reactions: Rab.
S4 if u have a family, S5 if it's just ur self and other half.....Back seat access is hopless in the 5 two door. .... Fuel want be that much difference between the two to make a difference unless one is a V8 and other is V6T

I can't believe that you are analysing fuel economy to help you choose between an S4 and an S5! Surely the decision should be easier than that. S4's are more common and cheaper than S5s so unless you love the S5 shape then it should be an S4.
I like both, but with minor tuning with the S4 you will destroy any S5 or RS4/5 for that matter. Plus lower road tax and they are more understared which I like.

Could you clarify the age of the S4/5 you are looking at - currently they share the same engine so what applies to one applies to the other from a tuning point of view.

There's also the S5 SB - again depending on what age you are looking at.

Likewise, fuel-wise it depends on age. For reference on a recent long trip I was getting ~30mpg according to the DIS (take 5-10% off for actual mpg) and I definitely wasn't hanging around. That said - it's the noise that puts the smile on my face, reasonable (in my eyes) fuel consumption is just a bonus.

Could you clarify the age of the S4/5 you are looking at - currently they share the same engine so what applies to one applies to the other from a tuning point of view.

There's also the S5 SB - again depending on what age you are looking at.

Likewise, fuel-wise it depends on age. For reference on a recent long trip I was getting ~30mpg according to the DIS (take 5-10% off for actual mpg) and I definitely wasn't hanging around. That said - it's the noise that puts the smile on my face, reasonable (in my eyes) fuel consumption is just a bonus.
B8 S4, 3l supercharged engine.

I really wouldn't have thought there's be that much difference between them then to be honest. Recently clicked over the 10k mark and fuel consumption seems better, slightly.

Buy the one you like the most because the difference in fuel consumption between then will be irrelevant.

What's the weight of the two?
Whichever is lightest should be better on fuel in my simplistic thinking, based upon them both having the same engine. If it's a V8 then that wouod lag behind, but then again you've got a V8 noise to make up for the extra trips to the pump.

Anyway, don't compromise on the family thought, I did that in my purchase before this car and it backfired.
Now I get my daughter in and out of a RS5 with buckets and whilst it's a bit of a pain in the neck, its not a real world problem and I have the car I really want.
Just make sure the wife/girlfriend/partner has a sensible family car.

+1 on the tuning question - except for the oldest S5s they now have the same engine as the S4 so consequences of tuning is the same.

I have the S5 SB and have a family. As per Craig I could have had the 2-door but I didn't want to put up with the hassle when taking rear seat passengers, especially if I also needed to move my seat forward (probably the main reason why I decided not to get a GT-R). Although the boot space in the SB is good, the S4 avant is still a much better choice for load carrying, especially if it has roof-rails.

I dont know much about the B8 world ive not ventured ther yet. If i had a choice between S4 and S5 id go for an S5. Im not a fan of the B8 S4 (only due to the engine) but the S5 looks nice and it has a V8!.

I dont know much about the B8 world ive not ventured ther yet. If i had a choice between S4 and S5 id go for an S5. Im not a fan of the B8 S4 (only due to the engine) but the S5 looks nice and it has a V8!.
@Av4nt - Sorry to disappoint you buddy, but the current S5 & the B8.5 S4 both have the same 3 litre V6 supercharged engine in :thumbs up:

@Av4nt - Sorry to disappoint you buddy, but the current S5 & the B8.5 S4 both have the same 3 litre V6 supercharged engine in :thumbs up:

Do you know what lmao...once i hit post I thought hmm actually I think that is wrong. Thanks for confirming haha. fail.